Calico Jack & Notoriety

JoshuaRed

For those of us trying to follow along while also getting stuff ready for tomorrow, what's the history of that pic??? Thanks.

I'll add more fuel, though to which said of the fire I know not. While rummaging through my stuff, I found my copy of The Pirate Prince. In the back is a list of recovered artifacts. The ship went down with roughly 130 pirates. Seventy three silver buckles were recovered from the wreck. Also 35 silver buttons were recovered. Of course, we don't know if these were being worn at the time of the wreck, or if they were just loose booty.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The picture is a detail from a map of around 1700 showing French merchants (in a whacking great, well armed ship flying the French Royal flag, in theory reserved for Navy ships) trading with settlers in the West Indies (the map is of the West Indies) - a copy can be found in the NMM.

The term bully boys is, I think, one of those terms whose origins are lost in the mists of time, despite the attractive theories surrounding them. I have heard that the term is a naval one related to the eating of salted, or "bully" beef. I've never seen any source older than the internet for that one, and as far as I'm aware bully-beef has always been a term for corned beef rather than salted. If the term has any real meaning at all it is probably the most obvious, something akin to "tough lads". FWIW, I've never come across the phrase outside songs so it might only mean as much as "hey-fol-de-rol".

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

There appears to have been no superstition attached to the wearing of earrings until a century or more after the GAoP, so that doesn't mean a lot. Earrings existed but were unfashionable, rather than "why not" how 'bout asking "why?"

It is common knowledge among sailors that earrings were worn to finance a decent burial, just in case.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Bully Boy I believe is a late 18th/ early 19th century term, but I could be wrong. I think Bully was equivalant to "Boss" or "Swell" or "Cool".

I think this guy should be the Pub's official mascot.

You and me both, John! I LOVE This guy...makes me laugh everytime. I'd buy a t-shirt with him on it. He's just so enthusiastic about his booze, despite having a stubby hook arm. You gotta love him.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Ha! Good idea Josh! I'd buy one!

Okay...

Going back to the wreck of the Whydah. I'm not sure now if the crew was 130 or 180, I've seen references to both (maybe the other 50 were on the consort?). As stated previously, 73 silver buckles were found at the site. The number of dead pirates found onshore was 59. So, it is possible a third of the crew was wearing silver buckles. I also seem to recall, maybe it was a conversation I had with Ken Kinkor, that the silver buckles were concentrated in one area of the ship, maybe aft. I don't believe they were found in the area with the collected bags o' "booty." Ah! Found it. Concentrations of silver buckles were at the stern, brass at the bow. And they say all pirates are created equal. :lol:

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Is it my imagination, or is the scruffy guy in the first picture (who probably IS a buccaneer) looking at Monsieur Bootee and thinking "what the **** do you look like mate"?

He's thinking, "I've got a pyrate fest coming up this weekend: where can I get me a pair of those boots?"

Bucket Boot envy.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

That is indeed a bucket boot. Here's the rest of the picture, that guy's got the matching boot and his pal's got a pair on as well.

traders.jpg

*Captain Jim scratches his head while pondering the picture...*

"Hmmm...we got the boots to the beach, now to get 'em onto the boat..."

Never say die...perhaps the reason we try so hard to put bucket boots on pyrates is because they are so much fun, in a Hollywood/Errol Flynn (moment of reverent silence) sort of way...not to refer to another thread or anything...

*Rubbing hands together*

"Must be time for some Photoshop majic..."

*Evil Laugh*

3ff66f1f.jpg

That is indeed a bucket boot. Here's the rest of the picture, that guy's got the matching boot and his pal's got a pair on as well.

Cascabel here, stirring the pot a bit just for fun.....

They ALSO appear to be wearing sashes, big black hats, and huge cuffs on their coats, OH MY !!!!!! (Try to ignore the spurs visible on the boots)

>>>>>> Cascabel

Cascabel here, stirring the pot a bit just for fun.....

They ALSO appear to be wearing sashes, big black hats, and huge cuffs on their coats, OH MY !!!!!! (Try to ignore the spurs visible on the boots)

>>>>>> Cascabel

I didn't want to hit 'em with all that at one time but...

3ff66f1f.jpg

GACK!

Wait a minute here... all this talk of legitimizing the use of the bucket boot I think is heading down the wrong track.

Its obvious that despite the NUMEROUS period pictures of pirates (even the heavy hitter Captains such as Roberts, Teach, and Rackam) wearing buckle shoes, that the hunt is going to continue for the holy grail of pirate/seamen pictures, the one that shows acutal bucket boots worn.

Now to recap some earlier discussions on this thread and others, We know that bucket boots wore worn during this period, and we know that it is not beyond the possibility that some seamen/captain Somewhere during the time frame 1690 - 1720, actually wore them at sea.

But....

Even for you die hard bucket boot fanatics out there....

You have to admit that there is a huge difference between this boot

pc2d01tansued.jpgand THIS boot17c6.jpg

Its not like the boot crowd is actually wearing an AUTHENTIC boot for heavens sake.... It opens the door for ANY boot from East German Jackboots to Motorcylce Cowboy boots!

Its the same old thing over and over...

People hear/read "Pirates wore boots" and that has translated into "pirates wore ANY boots"

People hear/read "Pirates wore sashes" and that has translated into "pirates wore ANY sash"

People hear/read "Pirates wore coats" and that has translated into "pirates wore ANY coat"

GoF

:ph34r:

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I've an idea: First person to the Reenactment/Pyrate Fest/RenFaire in period correct bucket boots gets to represent that one hypothetical character amongst all known and unknown pyrates. All others must be either barefoot or in period buckle shoes. I hereby volunteer to be the guard at the gate, the official shoe checker, as it were, and I will be wearing a set of period correct bucket boots so the rest of you bucket boot fans are out of luck...Arrr! :ph34r:

3ff66f1f.jpg

If you take the boot on the left and fold it a second time (Up) wouldnt it essentially be the boot on the right? Only the boot on the left wouldnt be a catch-all ?

Besides that fact that the men you mentioned

even the heavy hitter Captains such as Roberts, Teach, and Rackam
Were ALL killed fer wearing the uncomfortable and unattractive attire.

now with that said......................................,

ChampBoot3.jpg

I like my boots., Chicks like my boots., Children run up to me and I give'm treasure (Jeweled rings.,and gems and coins) and their parents take their pitcures with me.

You aint takin MY BOOTS FROM ME!

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

If you take the boot on the left and fold it a second time (Up) wouldnt it essentially be the boot on the right? Only the boot on the left wouldnt be a catch-all ?

Afraid not, Harbormaster...Look at the heels. Cavalry boots, the ones most often associated with tall boots in this time frame, would have had tall heels to keep them from slipping through the stirrup. The same kind of heel can be seen on authentic western "cowboy" boots from the western expansion for the same reason.

Now those boots in the picture you posted would be better if they were turned up again, but still need a tall heel to be authentic...and nice knees, by the way...

3ff66f1f.jpg

The heel is not the only difference. I am a self admitted period footwear fiend, and if you search shoe, boots, or footwear on this (or any other forum that I frequent) you are bound to run into my ramblings on authentic shoes.

Across the board, no matter what period you re-enact or participate in, shoes will most likely be the weakest link in authenticity.

I chalk this up for many reasons but at the top of the list is people don't care whether their shoes are correct or not. Except for flashy bucket boots, people in general (the public or the participants) don't know and don't care.

Secondly, they are expensive. The third world artisans that are flooding the country with swords, flintlocks, armour, and uniforms have not focused their attention on proper period footwear (yet?). So if you want correct footwear, its going to have to be made specifically for the customer, and western world prices don't appeal to your average living historian (That being said, CABoots seems to sell an awful lot of $275-$400 boots <_<

Thirdly, is not an item that is easily "borrow-able" from old salt re-enactors in your group. The likelihood that someone in your group has a second pair of authentic boots IN YOUR SIZE is pretty remote.... Kudos if they do!

Correct boots (like the Sarah Juniper boot pictured below right) should be straight lasted, vegetable tanned leather with a timber or stacked heel. You can probably get an idea of the way it is constructed from the picture which is way different than the one on the left.

People are going to wear what they want to wear, and I am not trying to stop them.... I am just trying to help those that want to go beyond the renfaire pirate into somthing a little closer to the reality of GAoP piracy.

GoF

(I have more information on shoes and sources on my website)

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Actually.,the heels were a cowboy boot heal (leather also) they are from Champion attitude., but after slipping all over the deck of the Lynx., I opted for a second pair from champion., (these ) . With a neopreme sole and heal.,as well as a roper horma heal., 1" and other custom changes.,so far it grabs and hangs much better on wet decks., and proves to be a far superior boot than my first pair. they are a resolable boot and made for long ware.

Authentic no., a happy customer with good footing in a fun boot., you bet., and the knees..., well I am turning into my father and not happy about it <_< (

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

You have to admit that there is a huge difference between this boot

pc2d01tansued.jpgand THIS boot17c6.jpg

Its not like the boot crowd is actually wearing an AUTHENTIC boot for heavens sake.... It opens the door for ANY boot from East German Jackboots to Motorcylce Cowboy boots!

Aye but they do look close to these. Retrieved from a ship wreck.

Boots.jpg

Petee "Defender Of The Bucket Boot."

:ph34r:

Petee-2.jpg

Any idea which shipwreck Petee?

And why is nobody wearing boots like these from the Vasa?

85985499.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk