POTC: authentic props

Matusalem

I'm curious to know often are the props in the Depp film the real deal? I know that in P1, johnny's pistol was of late 18th century vintage but others were replicas. I also saw some recent photos of Depp & Rush with aincient accoutrements like belt buckles and I am curious to know if they are the real thing. Seems to me that there is plenty of finds for antiques, though I would imagine, not cheaply procured.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Many of the items used in POTC I were real antiques. However, antiques are expensive and fragile.

For example, Jack's beads are antique trade beads used in Africa. I have collected the same type of beads which are like the ones in POTC I for my bead strings.

Other than the guns and swords, some of the "decorations" were antique, although I don't have any details. I buy beads from Africa Direct in Denver, Colorado, and the owner of that store told me that Disney purchased several items from them for POTC II. Unfortunately, she would not tell me what they were.

Disney put a lot of items and costumes on Ebay to sell after POTC I. I imagine they will do the same thing after POTC II is released.

I imagine only the property masters of the movies will know exactly which items are antiques and which items are fake. You could contact Iron Bess to see if she would have a contact at Disney for more information.

Capt. Jack II

:lol:

You can always ask me. I'm currently in Freeport, Grand Bahamas working in the prop dept. of II & III

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

You can always ask me. I'm currently in Freeport, Grand Bahamas working in the prop dept. of II & III

So, I'm told that Jack's pistol is an antique and that it is one of a pair, one of which is missing...so I'll ask you "Can you ship me the missing pistol?"

Just jesting.

Really.

Could you?

Someone stop me...

Pyrate!

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Ahoy Billy Bones,

Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How lucky you are to be working on the POTC movies!

Are some antique pistols and swords being used for the principle characters as in POTC I?

I know you are bound by confidentiality agreements, but I was wondering if you could tell me if the item Capt. Jack is wearing on the right side of his lower belt is a pouch made from an animal skin or just parts of an animal skin? Do you know what kind of animal skin it is? I heard it was a monkey skin.

Jack II

I won't see Jack until tomorrow, but I'll let you know. Actually, I'll walk next door to the prop truck and see. The missing pistol is in a place I'm not at liberty to say. We have 2 more reproductions that are very good. Most of the pistols are repros, but we do have several antiques. I'm on lunch right now, anxiously awaiting the Pearl. Should be sailing in soon.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

I I was wondering if you could tell me if the item Capt. Jack is wearing on the right side of his lower belt is a pouch made from an animal skin or just parts of an animal skin? Do you know what kind of animal skin it is? I heard it was a monkey skin.

Jack II

Hmmm! Is that what happened to that blasted monkey?! Haven't seen any photos of it from POTC II or III. :lol:

I won't see Jack until tomorrow, but I'll let you know. Actually, I'll walk next door to the prop truck and see. The missing pistol is in a place I'm not at liberty to say. We have 2 more reproductions that are very good. Most of the pistols are repros, but we do have several antiques. I'm on lunch right now, anxiously awaiting the Pearl. Should be sailing in soon.

we surely missed you at the worlds biggest pirate event in history! I do hope you are well and in good accord. Be safe and well stocked my friend we await your return to partay and maybe too a little parlay as well...

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

The monkey's alive and well. The parrot too. He is sort of a pain though. -----Thanks Diego. Yeah, I'm sorry I missed it, but somehow, walking the deck of the Pearl made up for it a little. Lots of seasickness today. It's pretty rough out there. Regards, BB

Capt. William Bones

The monkey's alive and well. The parrot too. He is sort of a pain though. -----Thanks Diego. Yeah, I'm sorry I missed it, but somehow, walking the deck of the Pearl made up for it a little. Lots of seasickness today. It's pretty rough out there. Regards, BB

Who's a pain? The monkey, the parrot or both. :wub: BB Try a little ginger beer for the seasickness. You're in the Caribbean you should be able to get some.

Yeah, I'm sorry I missed it, but somehow, walking the deck of the Pearl made up for it a little. Lots of seasickness today. It's pretty rough out there. Regards, BB

Quite looking at the pretty boat....errrr ship and look to the horizon. Oh, and don't eat any eggs. Learned that one the hard way, meself. :lol:

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

I didn't get sick, but several crew members did, including one of the cast.

Capt. William Bones

I know you are bound by confidentiality agreements, but I was wondering if you could tell me if the item Capt. Jack is wearing on the right side of his lower belt is a pouch made from an animal skin or just parts of an animal skin? 

Jack II

Ahoy Billy Bones,

Did you ever have a chance to see what Jack was wearing?

Jack II

:blink:

Always that talk of the monkey being a pain in the ass, it's not like she asked to be dragged out of the jungle (or her mum..) and play in a movie.

Considering she was terrified (Johnny Depp's own words in the comentary on the dvd and you can see it clearly too) i think people haven't got a right to complain.

Yeah i know i'll get blasted for this but it's how i feel! :blink:

hero.jpg

Always that talk of the monkey being a pain in the ass, it's not like she asked to be dragged out of the jungle (or her mum..) and play in a movie.

Considering she was terrified (Johnny Depp's own words in the comentary on the dvd and you can see it clearly too) i think people haven't got a right to complain.

Yeah i know i'll get blasted for this but it's how i feel! B)

I had a a roommate who use to be a zoolologist/primatelogist and kept 13 monkeys as pets (not when I roomed with her). She said capuchin monkeys (like the monkey Jack in the film) are very birght, in your face monkeys. There not necessairaly afraid but they will challenge you. She was not surprised to hear the monkey was a pain in the a*&. :)

OK guys, the monkey is really not a pain. What he is made to do, under such alien conditions would daunt everybody. I was talking to Johnny about an hour ago, and I still forgot to look at the bag. I promise tonight when the stuff comes back to the truck, I'll find it.

As far as hurricane season, it's not as bad as these damnable little no-see-ums that love my legs so much!!

Capt. William Bones

Capt. William Bones

What lucky dog ! Potc2..

Is therre an authentic lookin map used in the flick and if so hows to aquire said prop? :angry:

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."