HMS Victory Tonight on the History Channel

Captain Jim

Modern Marvels

HMS Victory.

Tune In:

Friday, September 2 @ 9pm ET/PT

The HMS Victory would play a crucial role in the foremost naval engagement in 19th century maritime history, the battle of Trafalgar. This victory was so decisive that no fleet challenged Britain's Royal Navy for more than one hundred years. Built with enough wood to cover the Empire State Building one and a half times, propelled by wind and firing solid shots from smooth bored muzzle-loading canons, ships like HMS Victory ruled the waves for over two centuries. Manned by a crew of 850 and capable of firing one and a half tons of iron shot in a single devastating broadside, these eighteenth century floating fortresses were as complex and sophisticated in their day as a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier is today. Using color re-enactments and the actual recollections of those who fought on board, this profile goes below the decks of the famous warship TVPG cc

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Thanks Captain Jim. I was just able to catch the last thrity minutes, it look great. With luck the history channel will repete it again soon. They usually do.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Excellent program! Thank ye for the heads up, Captain Jim. :o

Yours, &C.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.