A grand day out

Hawkyns

Aye, and grand it were. Me gun crew and I left New Haven in the rain and drove to Providence, there to board the Sloop Providence for a rousin' afternoon. On arriving, we found most of the other crews had not made it, with the exception of one chap, Frank, from the Speedwell.

Most of me crew are new to the sea, so there was time needed to acclimate to the differences of runnin' cannon on a ship, as well as learning to keep the hell out of the way of the deck crew. Soon learned, though, and my brave lads were soon haulin' lines like old hands.

The sun came out strong, so down Naragansett Bay we sailed, and made ready to fire a broadside of 2, two gunners to each 4 pounder and a monkey servin' both pieces. Coming broad on the larboard side was our target, a large country house with a party of F&I rangers and gunners to make our enemy. They fired first, but we soon returned that and secured the guns to cross to the starboard side and do it again. Twice we repeated this, for a total of two broadsides from each side. Wi' volleys of cannon and musket from the shore, and our broadsides, the Sunday sailors must've wondered who the hell had come a'visitin' such a quiet and staid bay. Finished 'em off with a volley or two from the small arms, pistols and blunderbusses. Cap'n said she were too shallow to go right up for close combat, the Providence draws too much water. So we let what was left o' the buggers live to fight again. And so, back to berth with more line haulin' and learnin' for my lads and a bloody good experience all round.

So now, I sit with a mug o' rum to write me log. The sooner we do it again, the better, says I.

:ph34r:

Hawkyns

Master Gunner

Cannon lend dignity to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl.

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Aye Mr Hawkyns. Well met! The next time you be needing a mate to swab out a piece, handle a line or be powder monkey. Feel free to be calling on me sir. I'm drydocked in Ct me self.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."