Cutlasses

Very good and straight forward advice!

Again exactly what is needed!

I will look to the small sword and see what we have mentioned from Black John.

My thanks again!

Rats!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I finally got my digital camera operating again, and as I promised a long while back, here is a photo of the cutlass I crafted myself. It is completely scratch-built and forged by myself. The grip is North American whitetail antler. <_<

IM000449.jpg

The photo is not as clear as I would like, but perhaps you can get the jist of what my blade looks like. I fashioned it after historical examples, and replicated blades from Old Dominion Forge... B)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN case you missed that the first time...

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's very impressive, and my hat's off to you sir!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going with that!.., Really very cool. You can definitely do some saber rattling with that !

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

I am going with that!.., Really very cool. You can definitely do some saber rattling with that !

All together now, in three part harmony:

NICE!!!

Great work Sir!

Thanks for your kind words, guys. It was a major pain in the buttocks to build, but well worth it in the long-run! ;)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

(1945)

If you want to be a pirate reenactor, stay away from that junk. :)

Grab yourself a hunting sword from Godwin... http://www.gggodwin.com/swords.htm

Of course, I should probably ask you what you mean when you say "use." Do you mean wear... or do steel-on-steel demos.

Of the Godwin hunting swords, is the Jaeger Hunting Sword perios? They say the design was knicked from a book on the American revolution, but it seems likely this style might have been around a while before then.

Of course, it's that "seems likely" that's always the problem! :rolleyes:

Greg,

The blade is cut from a 14' industrial saw blade from the local sawmill. I work there, so whenever they break a blade, I get them and bring them home to make knives and such out of. They are made of top quality steel imported from Sweden. My sword blade has just the right amount of flex, and a razor edge...it is the "real McCoy", not a show piece or wallhanger...the method I use to cut them puts no heat on the steel (at least not much), so the original temper of the steel is not jeapordized.

I make other blades as well, mostly trade knives from the 1700's, but I've also made my own rigging knife, based on a British MOD rigging knife. You can see a photo of it over in the "rigging gear" thread. I've been making my own knives since I was 11 or 12 years old.

:rolleyes:

(1945)

Dude...

You probably saved yourself $400-$700 by making that yourself.

Very nice.

Can we see more pictures please?

Pretty please... with sugar?

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• 2 weeks later...

I like the brass one for GAoP better. Its been up several times on E-bay, I guess his reserve is not being met.

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!