MadMike

This may be an item of interest for those doing a buccaneer impression or inland raider-

http://www.southernrangers.org/snapsack.htm

It's much easier to put together than the instructions make it out to be. I hand sewed one up in about six hours last night. Used heavy canvas from Wal Mart and a length of cotton webbing from JoAnn fabrics.

The snapsack was used in the English Civil War period, albeit made of hide-

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/histor...e/snapsacks.htm

There is a 1672 dated picture in Angus Kostam's "Pirates, Terror on the High Seas (Osprey)" showing a soldier wearing either a snapsack or blanket roll (page 87).

Exquemelin's "Buccaneers of America" mentions "knapsacks" in several places.

Yours, &c.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

I got one picture of the new hunting coat, from the Heart of the Forest Renn. Faire.... Unfortunately, the shirt is kinda rumpled, so it looks like I have a huge pot belly...... rats.....

http://photobucket.com/albums/b97/PatrickH...ccaneer-HoF.jpg

This one fits better than the attempt of making it "shirt" like... This one is made from four parts, and then the sleeves. Now to get the hemp canvas, and some linen to make a new better one,,,,,,,

Also , here is the snapsack that I made....

http://photobucket.com/albums/b97/PatrickH...nt=Snapsack.jpg

Unfortunately, it's not quite large enough to hold my bedroll and all of my stuff.... so I might just sling the bedroll, and put everything else in the snapsack.... I also got 2 1/2 yards of canvas, that I will paint with linseed oil and terpentine to waterproof it, for the groundcloth.

Other stuff that I'm working on......

I'm hand finishing a new pair of venetians that I made out of a buckskin colored wool, and lined with linen..... I also got a coconut that I'm going to make into a bowl (not sure if it is period, read about it in James Michners Carribean,..... sounded like a fun idea)

I should have enough money saved by next Monday, to order the Doglock musket..... yaaaaa.......

I previously posted an image in "The Pirate Brethren" files of "filibustiers" with what appears to be snapsacks (or blanket rolls) across their chests. Don't know the origin of the picture, but's it's noteworthy since the pirates have a skull and crossbones flag with blood dripping from it. Will do some research to find if it's period or not.

Patrick, excellent job on the buccaneer outfit!

Yours, &c.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Here's the pic referred to-

000filibustiers.jpg

I think Patrick's in there somewhere...

Yours, Mike

That looks an awful lot like "confederate" bedrolls.... (roll the blanket into a long tube.... tie the ends, then wear it over your shoulder) And obvously it was used earlier than that..... just the name I use for that style of carring a blanket..... I will have to look at that picture some more, and think about it......

But when I did American Civil War reenacting.... I discovered that carrying a bed roll that way was..... WAY to hot..(cut off any and all nice cooling air you might get ). so I'd carry my bedroll in what we called "grasshopper" fashion..... roll the blanket into a small tight bundle, and then using a chunk of rope, sling it over you shoulder.....(above your butt, or it would "bounce to much...) But I know there were others that had no problem with the "Confederate" style...... I just didn't like it......

And I'm sure (well guessing actuly...) that people in the past did the same thing........

I could be wrong, but that doesn't look to me like a period picture, I'd definitely put a couple of quid on it being modern.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

When I made mine, I left the straps extra long, so I can cut them down after using it if nessecary... I also "painted" it with linseed oil (with a touch of stain for color) to waterproof it.

The only problem that I can see with using it, is that the ends don't "draw-up" as tightly as I'd like.... I'll have to use bags inside for smaller stuff, so it won't fall out. (I'm use to haversacks.... small stuff just works it's way to the bottem of the bag....)

Patrick,

I left the snapsack cords a little long, that way after cinching up the bag I loop the cords around the opening to close it tight (my bag is made of canvas cloth however).

Foxe,

I e-mailed the originator of the pic for some info on the artist and year it was produced. Looks like it was scanned from a map cartouche or a print from a book (thought is was Albrecht Durer at first, way too early though).

Yours, &c.

Mike

Pirates of Massacre Island

http://www.geocities.com/flpyrate/index.html

You're right Foxe, it's not period. I have a coffee-table book called Pirates And Buccaneers that features a number of works by that artist. I think he was German, and did them in the 1920's, definitely 20th century. When I first saw them I was impressed with the quality and did some research on the artist. I'll dig 'em out again.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I can definitely see why Mike, bits of it are very Durer-esque. When I read that I had one of those *oh yeah...* moments. I think it's the composition that really gives it away as not being period, though there are other things too.

Josh, I'd love to know more about the artist - period or not it's a fantastic picture and I'd love to see some more of his.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I left the snapsack cords a little long, that way after cinching up the bag I loop the cords around the opening to close it tight (my bag is made of canvas cloth however).

I may have to do that.... when I first tried it, the snapsack was to short to hold a bedroll, but now that I'm going to carry the bedroll on the outside, it should not be a problem......