Minnesota Renaissance Festival

The Doctor

Opening weekend is this Saturday and Sunday! I'll be there Saturday, sampling the turkey legs and free ale. Looks like their having a "Perfect Pirate" contest along with the "Wench Press", so it should be a lot of fun!

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

The opening of the Minnesota Renaissance Festival was today. I did the "unthinkable" and wore my new boots, not broken in by traditional standards, for 8 hours straight on uneven terrain. And that's with people telling me I wasn't swaggering and staggering enough. No blisters, no bruising, no abnormal fatigue. It's like I've owned them for years. In short, I will never buy from any other boot maker but Competetive Attitude Boots, whether it's for riding or whatever. A little spendy, but more than worth it.

And I picked up the coolest leather tankard from Excalibur Leather (same folks who made my incredibly comfortable hat). It's got a pliable high-temperature epoxy coating on the inside, so you can fill it with rum or ale in the evening, rinse it out, and drink your coffee out of it the next morning. Plus, it's got the Calico Jack embossed on the outside. The lady behind the counter has used the same one for five years, and you can tell by the way the leather has been worn smooth at the top of the handle that she's not exaggerating. Another excellent vendor of fine leather goods.

I had a discussion with the King, after I'd downed a few Guinnesses. He informed me that piracy was not condoned in his kingdom, and he would see to it that anyone caught in the act of piracy would be hung. I told him that if he were so inclined as to let me spend 15 minutes with the Queen, she would glady tell him that I'm already nicely hung, so he needn't bother. I also asked him if he had any plans of stringing up his privateers, since privateering is little more than state sponsored piracy. I informed him that I, too, am for hire. Better to employ me than encounter me (wink, wink, nudge nudge, say no more). So we shared a few laughs and parted company. He then loudly proclaimed that "Should you be caught commiting any act of piracy..." To which I cut him off and replied "Yes, yes, Your Highnifigance. You'll ensure that I'm well hung. How generous you are!" At that point, the Queen completely lost it. It was great!

There were a lot of other people there dressed in pirate garb, but little kids and women were seeking me out for pictures and casual conversation. It was one hell of a lot of fun.

Oh, and the "Perfect Pirate" contest was a bust. It was for little kids only.

One of the fun things was that I was mistaken for a Faire entertainer on several ocassions, even by Faire employees. People seemed to think that my exchange with the King was staged, and I was sought out by many a tricycle motor and lovely women alike that wanted to talk to or have their picture taken with "Cap'n Jack". We'll see if my popularity holds out in subsequent weekends. I hope so... :)

Now if I can just get my kitten to quit trying to chew on my hair extensions, I'll be a lot happier. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It was another perfect weekend - sunny, low 70's, breezy - for "Middle East Mystique" Weekend... Member from my Arabian horse club gave a great Native Costume riding demonstration. I spent most of the day drinking Guinness at "Mac's Pub", a.k.a. "Pirate's Cove". Shanties, loud and bawdy fun, and entertainers galore. "My Lady's Cutlass" were there, and they are great! I never thought that belly-dancers would go so well with shanties, but the ladies who dropped in aquitted themselves well. The guitar player, Ian MacFarlane, eventually had to close his eyes or look the other way to keep from being distracted. And they were trying very hard to distract him! It was a riot! And as always, "Puke and Snot" were not to be missed. Watching someone perform the soliloqy from "Richard III" while eating carrots... You have to see it to believe it.

So, I ate too much, drank too much, and laughed more than I have in a long time. I can't wait to go again!

Sjoroveren, our two powder monkeys and I hope to be out there on Sept 10th.

That will be our first opportunity -- but hopefully not our only appearance.

Mad Jack, we're counting on meeting you. Are any of you other midwestern pirates planning on coming? There's a pint or two in it for ye -- Sjoroveren's buying! :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got ourselves out there on Saturday. It was a lovely day -- warm (upper 80s) and breezy. We went to Mac's Pub around 3pm, looking for Mad Jack and instead met up with the crew of the Bloodwake. These pirates were previously unknown to us, though at least one mentioned viewing the Pyracy Pub and they were all familar with NQG. Fine lads and lasses all, and we hope to see them in a couple weeks when we return.

However, I'm still looking to meet that handsome Mad Jack fellow..... :rolleyes: ....will you be there on Sunday the 25th, mate?

• 2 weeks later...

I met the crew of the Bloodwake, and a fine lot they be! We spent far too much time at Mac's, listening to My Lady's Cutlass, Ian MacFarlane, Drunk and Disorderly, and the like. After wandering about some more, we ended up at the Queen's Pub, and joined in the pub sing until late in the day. I'll be posting pictures this weekend.

I'm saddened that we won't be going out this final weekend, but I've already secured discounted passes for next year. I have to focus on next week's horse show. I want to win it in the worst way. I know I'll have to work my ass off to do it, but I'm more than willing to give it my all to ensure that Apollo and I sit high on the judges' cards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jack and Bess,

Next time you are attending the MRF you'll have to give me a yell. I am part of a pirate crew that makes its home at the MRF. Minnesota has tons of pirates, both on cast like myself, or as playtrons, such as my good friends in The Bloodwake.

Oh Jack, by the way, I was one of the judges in the "Perfect Pirate Contest". We certainly would have let you try to out do the countless children who put on the eye patch and said 'Yarrr!" You could have earned yourself a fine piece of candy for just trying out!

• 1 month later...

Yarr...

It's a bit suprising to find out how many pirates there truely are out at MNRF. It's great to see groups like My Lady's Cutlass and Pirates of Portabello out there now. Now myself, I work right across from Puke & Snot, so it seems we are spread far ans wide across the grounds. I'd like to meet more of ya, hopefully next season!

"...but why is the rum gone?" - Capt. Jack Sparrow

• 2 weeks later...

Normally I love the MN Ren Fest. This year I could not attend as I was working weekends. Next year I hope to make it.

However when I went out there in my full pirate gear I got the feeling I was not too accepted by the festies. A friend of mine that works there told me they like to make fun of people who garb up but not in the traditional ren fest stuff. I guess a reproduction of pirate garb was not traditional enough for them. I felt out of place.

I would love to go back out there and meet up with folks that garb up in pirate. Its always better to be part of a group then alone dressed up like that.

Take care,

Parrot_feathers

Don't worry your head a bit about the "Authenticity Cops", unless you're sporting a costume from Target (I did see some teenagers try that, and they ended up feeling pretty silly). Given the overwhemling number of pyrate patrons, shopkeepers, and entertainers, their scoffing hasn't had much impact. Even Puke 'n Snot are doing a pyrate-themed show. Mac's Pub sports the skull and bones, and I could go on. Show your swag, and join the fun!

Parrot_Feathers a heart felt "Sorry" for the Authenticity Police at the MRF. MN is a fantasy festival and not hard period event so whom ever did scold you was blemish! Much like High School cliques can and do appear. Let me say that who ever took it upon themself to be cruel to you is in the minority and does not speak for all of us. I welcome everyone no matter if they are clad in Old Navy or "Real Old Navy". Heck we even have giant bunnys and Storm Troopers show up.

I have been a cast member for 3 years and a core member of The Pyrates of Portobello. If you come back look me up and I will show you a proper warm pirate welcome!

That is true for any and all of you! Come and play in 2006.

Lest ye forget! And no lettin' a wee bit of snow and ice be gettin' in yer way!!

Friday 12/ 30 /05 My Lady's Cutlass' "Peace-tide Cutlass", 7 - 11 PM

4 hours of MLC and friends. An incredible variety of musical and spoken word performances by a number of our most talented and enchanting friends. Jen's even going to juggle! Details below!

**Laszlo is the MC! Yeah, that Laszlo! (rumors of a tux are unsubstantiated)

**Becca Shaffner and Reid Hegland (Court Revelers)

- are jazzy blue in Wrapped in Satin!

***Drunken Uglies - http://www.drunkenuglies.bravehost.com/

Shane, Peter, John. (Great celtic music - as you all know)

got some wassailin' goin' ON!

**Jeff Callander (Ian MacFarlane) -

has fashioned some sweet original ballads for the season.

**Rick Griffith -

comes from all over the musical map with the Lute, Vihuela and his '59 Gibson guitar accompanying Kim (on sax) and Jen's version of Jingle Bell Rock!

**Lisa Soltermann -

making a real name for herself as a Molly Hare, is co-founder of Aer Supply - more celtic tasty buzz!

**Dan & Brandy Gergen -

Hog-nosed HEAVEN on matching plucked psalteries Dan made himself.

**MORRIS DANCERS! Upton on Calhoun Morris http://www.uptownoncalhoun.org dancers are showing how to mingle with the wintery jingle!

**Nancy Hansen -

lots of talent in words sung and spoken - there may be visual aids - we'll see!

** Dave Bailey(Simon - a fellow pirate) -

will be providing a great deal of expertise and equip in the form of amplifying sound magic!

and JUGGLING JEN Bradley!

Don't miss it!!

Where: Marysburg Books

http://marysburgbooks.com/

Marysburg Books

304 Washington Avenue Suite 100

Minneapolis, MN 55401

Phone: 612-340-0078

For those of you who missed the My Lady's Cutlass show last night, you have my sympathy! What a fantastic show! Everyone was fabulous! An incredible array of talent, an intimate venue... It was the perfect night.

Congratulations to Kim and Jen for a smashing success! :lol:

For those of you in the Central time zone, we're 222 days away from the Minnesota Renaissance festival, and 186 days from the release of "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest". I'm lobbying the Heights Theater on Central Ave. to get them to run the film. B)