Book Auctioneer - 1700

blackjohn

Nice image. I think me wuz one of these chaps in a past life!

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Great pic, Blackjohn.

Looks like the figure on the viewer's right is wearing slops.

Yours, &C.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Well believe it or not... :ph34r: (utoh, can you hear it coming) :ph34r:

I went to the local western store and got a stetson hat. Had it reshaped to Tricorn...and it looks right dandy with its flat top and tricorner rim.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

You can shape any wool (or rabbit hair/wool, beaver, etc) hat to shape over a kettle of boiling water. I used a large coffee can to get the correct "flat top" shape for my cocked hat.

The Najecki site offers the following for hat stiffening (I personally haven't tried it yet)-

"Hat Stiffening

If your existing hat is becoming a bit droopy it can be renewed by:

· Let the brims down and brush out the loose dirt from the felt.

· Make a mixture of 1 part shellac (white or orange 3 lb cut) to 2 parts denatured alcohol.

· Liberally brush the mixture to one side of the felt. It should quickly absorb into the felt

· and not lay on the surface. Allow to dry thoroughly (about 8 hours).

· Repeat to other side of felt. Apply additional coats if desired."

Yours, &c.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Those aren't slop hose the guy on the right is wearing. You can see the knee band and where they are gathered into the knee area. They're just 17th century breeches, and going out of style. I like his monmouth cap though. Looks like it's been stretched out and beaten over the years, thus causing it too fit looser on the head except where the brim is turned up causing the cap to grasp the head. Interesting picture.