Firefly

blackjohn

One of the big things I liked about Firefly, and which was also brought up in the interviews on the 4th DVD, is that it never became a "bug hunt." There were no tentacally aliens, nasty worms bursting from people's eye sockets, shape-shifter, mind-melders, or demon cyborgs. This made the whole show much more believable for me.

Since this is the first time I've seen the series, I want to watch all the episodes again before I decided which is my favorite one, and who is my favorite character. At the moment—and I'm not sure what it revels about my own personality, if anything—Jaynes is at the top of my list for favorite character.

Jayens: "Why should we care these people?"

Mal: "They're whores."

Jaynes: "Count me in."

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that when I say "opposite," I actually mean male-female opposite approaches to similar roles, not opposite types. I think the show sort of highlights the popular perception of male/female approaches - their strengths and weaknesses. Of course, anyone can do anything IMO and artificial categories are just one way of looking at something. It was just something I noticed after that comment on the Disc 2 extras.

You could poke lots of holes in my premise if you wanted. It was just something I was thinking about during my -13° walk this morning. (If someone had told me it was -13° out, I never would have gone. Fortunately no one did.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

One of the big things I liked about Firefly, and which was also brought up in the interviews on the 4th DVD, is that it never became a "bug hunt." There were no tentacally aliens, nasty worms bursting from people's eye sockets, shape-shifter, mind-melders, or demon cyborgs. This made the whole show much more believable for me.

Since this is the first time I've seen the series, I want to watch all the episodes again before I decided which is my favorite one, and who is my favorite character. At the moment—and I'm not sure what it revels about my own personality, if anything—Jaynes is at the top of my list for favorite character.

Yeah, Jayne does get some of the best lines... "Mal - imminent violence!" (love that line!)

Blackjohn - love the avatar! (This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.)

RHJMap.jpg

You know, wouldn't Imminent Violence be a great name for a pyrate ship? :rolleyes:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

I was admiring the avatar as well... It's kind of funny, I just re-watched most of the series a few months ago (Twin Peaks, for those who aren't sure)...

I started by getting the dvds from NetFlix, but I found that the series was online, so I stopped netFlix-ing them and just watched them streaming on the computer so I wouldn't have to wait days between discs. Awesome series... Not as cool as Firefly, but damn cool series as well.

Michael_banner.jpg

Yeah, Jayne does get some of the best lines... "Mal - imminent violence!" (love that line!)

Or the lovely Jayne "I'll be in my bunk."

Bruce Hyde played a minor character in two or three episodes of original Trek. He then went on to get a PhD in... I dunno, psych and theatre or something. I once saw him at a con, where he gave a lecture on "the success of Star Trek and its relationship to the balanced character traits of Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty." Though you aren't a Trek fan, I think you would've enjoyed the lecture from a human character traits point of view.

Possibly. Thinking on it a little, I can see where you might draw a parallel between them and Freud's psychic apparatus. Bones, the emotional doctor would be the Id, Kirk, the (somewhat) pragmatic leader would be the decisive Ego and Spock would be the corrective Superego. (Kirk has a lot of Id in him as well. The Superego tends to be moralist in nature, which I don't really get from Spock, but that was how it came to me.) Freud postulated that in order for a person to be normally functioning, neither the Id nor the Superego could be in charge, a strong Ego had to make the final decisions. It's sort of a weak comparison in many ways, but there it is. Of course, Freud's theories are kind of out of favor with many people right now. This one and the Conscious, Preconscious and Unconscious tend to hang around in psych circle, though. (The Un/Subconscious fascinate me. It is one of the areas about which I might write my thesis if I get that far.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

OKOKOK for those of you whom have been goading me to for the longest time.....

I have watched some of the episodes...

Now I want more...

yes it is indeed addictive

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Funny, I really don't find it addictive. It's fun, but not "Gotta have more!"

You know what was addictive? The Pretender. The first season was awesome. They went a little bit overboard with the Center and all the secrets and family ties between characters and similar mythos crap, but it really hooked me. I even bought that one. (I still haven't watched the last episode. I hate being left in the air on a cliff-hanger.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
There's a crappy town where you're a hero? Ratsville....

Let's see....what was my favorite...????

"Oh god oh god we're all going to die! Who's flying this thing? Oh right, that would be me...."

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." *snort*

You got a Wife??? All I got was that dumb-a$$ stick that sounds like it raining!!

I didn't... we're not married... I don't even know this girl!

Can I know her???

Oh sweety... don't feel bad... he makes everybody cry.. He's like a monster!

You brute!!

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi4085252121/

I love this episode!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Jayne, in the process of ransacking Simon's belongings, pretends to read Simon's journal.

Jayne: "Dear Diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. flips page Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."

:lol:;) ;) B)

I like the lines that seem like trademark Joss Whedon (with lots of -y or -ied). That, and things only certain characters could get away with saying.

Mal: See, this is a sign of your tragic space dementia. All paranoid and crotchety, it breaks the heart.

Book: If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

(convo with Zoe)

Wash: Don't know. I'm starting to like this poetry thing. "Here lies my beloved Zoe, my autumn flower… somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross-"

Inara: Right, you're a criminal mastermind! What was the last cargo we snuck past the Alliance to transport?

Mal: That was a little dif—

Inara: What was the cargo?

Mal: [pauses, embarrassed] They were dolls.

Inara: They were little geisha dolls with big heads that wobbled! **

** I love the look on Mal's face when she says her last line there.

Jayne's "I'll be in my bunk." is another one, apparently a favorite by many.

Mal: Hey! People love those!

Edited by Cpt Sophia M Eisley

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

I love that line by Shepard Book!!

he even pokes his head out again to reiterate, "A VERY special place!" then dissappears...

Then later he goes..."well... isn't that ....special..."

I would have killed for another season!!

I like the lines that seem like trademark Joss Whedon (with lots of -y or -ied). That, and things only certain characters could get away with saying.

Mal: See, this is a sign of your tragic space dementia. All paranoid and crotchety, it breaks the heart.

Book: If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

(convo with Zoe)

Wash: Don't know. I'm starting to like this poetry thing. "Here lies my beloved Zoe, my autumn flower… somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross-"

Inara: Right, you're a criminal mastermind! What was the last cargo we snuck past the Alliance to transport?

Mal: That was a little dif—

Inara: What was the cargo?

Mal: [pauses, embarrassed] They were dolls.

Inara: They were little geisha dolls with big heads that wobbled! **

** I love the look on Mal's face when she says her last line there.

Jayne's "I'll be in my bunk." is another one, apparently a favorite by many.

Mal: Hey! People love those!

sig2.jpg

Chain Shot and I bought the boxed set of the series, and just finished watching the last episode last night. So, after my second run-through, I've decided my two favorite episodes are Out of Gas, and Trash. And yes, I do love Jayne. He just has some of the best lines...

Holding the whore in his arms, "Can I go upstairs, cause my John Thomas is about to bust!"

We also rented the movie Serenity, but it was a lot darker than the series, and didn't seem to have as much of the snappy dialogue as the TV series.

Oh, and the other thing. Once you start singing the theme song, you can NOT get it out of your head! :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Chain Shot and I bought the boxed set of the series, and just finished watching the last episode last night. So, after my second run-through, I've decided my two favorite episodes are Out of Gas, and Trash. And yes, I do love Jayne. He just has some of the best lines...

Holding the whore in his arms, "Can I go upstairs, cause my John Thomas is about to bust!"

We also rented the movie Serenity, but it was a lot darker than the series, and didn't seem to have as much of the snappy dialogue as the TV series.

Oh, and the other thing. Once you start singing the theme song, you can NOT get it out of your head! :lol:

I actually caught my kids singing "The man they call Jayne"!!

sig2.jpg

And yes, I do love Jayne. He just has some of the best lines...

Even the actor says he's modeled in large part on Tuco. It's hard not to like Tuco - he's such a grubby, Id-based character.

If you like the Tuco elements of Jayne and you ever get the chance, see the movie A Fistful of Dynamite aka Duck You Sucker. I don't think the movie is that great - it's too political for me and some of the elements of Coburn's character seem dated - but the role Rod Steiger plays is fun. It is clearly designed for Eli Wallach playing as Tuco. (The extras explain that Leone designed the role for him, but the studio in their infinite wisdom blocked that choice.) Steiger does a great job with it, but I'd have loved to see Wallach mugging in that role.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Just watched another episode last night. Jayne goes through a whole bar fight without losing the cigar out of his mouth. Now that's kewl! :blink: LOL

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Okay, you know you're a real Firefly fan when you refer to your cheap garden hose that keeps kinking up on you, as a piece of gosa(?). :(

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's actually the kanji for the phonetic sounds "go" and "se" (pronounced GO-suh), which roughly translates to "shit".

Um. yeah. ANYWAY! My endeavor to get photos with the cast continues!

fireflygirls.jpg

Just from the way in which the crew uses the word, I figured it had to mean something like that. So, it fits...since that hose is a piece of shyte!

Nice picture. I almost didn't recognize Anara without the long hair and Companion makeup. But...I hate her anyway. No one should be that beautiful, 'cause it's just not fair to the rest of us! LOL :D

I surely do wish they had made more episodes of that series. :D

RAKEHELL-1.jpg