Pirates down the Fox River

Cap'n Pete Straw

I wish to report a Pirate Raid. Er, it was technically a Pirate Raid. Okay, maybe not so much...

Anyway, last Friday (29 July) my family rented a couple of canoes and rowed down the Fox River. In one canoe were my wife and 16-year-old daughter. In the other was myself, my 11-year-old daughter and 13-year-old son (William the Bloody).

My wife kept asking why I was carrying the 10-foot-long bamboo pole, and I kept giving her misleading answers. A few minutes after we were in the water, my son donned his pirate hat, I donned my (fluffy-sleeved) pirate shirt and bandana, and the (4' x 5') Jolly Roger was suddenly flying from from the pole.

...and this was how we went down river.

A lot of passing boats (and jet-skis) slowed down to yell "Ahhrrr!" at us, but the highlight was when a paddle-wheel river boat came by. Everyone ran to one side of the boat and took a gajillion photos of us. I yelled at them that we were pirates who "have fallen on hard times!", which seemed to amuse them to no end.

Anyway, Pirates on the Fox River. Been there. Done that.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Aye,

Very goode...

Hard tymes? Has ye ne'er heard o' river pyrates....?

I been one many o' year....

In Canoes, dingy's, sloops....

works mighty fine!

I's glady ye had a grande tyme!!!

brings back mem'rys o' me youth....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• 8 months later...

Finally dug out the photos...

Pirates on the Fox River (distant shot):

canoe_pirateflag.jpg

But, oh no! SHARKS!

canoe_sharkfin.jpg

I have another really great photo, but the prominant person in the foreground is my 16-year-old daughter in a skimpy bikini (wearing my pirate hat). And if you think I am posting that on the Internet, you are high.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

My wife is deathly afraid of sharks. My kids conspired with me to pick up a battery-powered-motored shark fin, which we snuck aboard, and released in the river.

The kids thought it was a great joke... but my wife did not flinch. I guess the whole Fresh Water River thing...

The "shark" kept getting snagged on plants, and we were continuously circling back to retrieve it. It turned into a very short-lived prank.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg