Attention: Woodworker & Woodcarvers

Duchess

I'm looking to have someone make some fancy carved wood hair sticks for me. They are my chief way of getting my hair up and I haven't been able to find any I like in the variety of stores available. I have some specifics but I'll wait on those for the interested artisans. Any interested artisans out there?

Are "hair sticks" those (for lack of a better definition)... those "chopstick" kinda things?

Aye, but shorter. About five to seven inches long. With a knob or some sort of decoration on one end that is wider than the shaft. I'd like them decorative enough to not look like chopsticks that were cut off.

Something like this...... Skull Hairstick

The photo didn't come out very clear.... too much of a close-up (it was "flashed out" if I used the flash.....)

Just whittled it .... the hardest part is to make the other one look the same......

Yep, something like that. Or something done with a small lathe. I don't need matched sets, since I only use one at a time.

I tried to use hair sticks with my hair and they don't work. I had to use bobby pins to hold my hair in place. But I see gals all the time with them, lucky them, and lucky you Duchess. ;)

Hmm, the sticks have always worked well for me. But I come at them thinking of physics. You can't just wad up the hair shove a stick through and expect it to stay. You need to put stress on the stick and some tension on your hair. All that increases the friction and counteracts gravity resulting in the do staying done. ;)

I've now thought a while about how to show you over the internet, but cannot really come up with a way. So I promise, if I ever meet you in person, I can show you how to make it work.

There's a woodcarver's shop in Ghirardelli Square that sells turned redwood hairsticks in different patterns.

Good to know, but not of much help. I don't even know what Ghirardelli's square is. Except a prodigious decadant chunk of chocolate. ;)

There's a woodcarver's shop in Ghirardelli Square that sells turned redwood hairsticks in different patterns.

Good to know, but not of much help. I don't even know what Ghirardelli's square is. Except a prodigious decadant chunk of chocolate. :ph34r:

Its a plaza in San Francisco owned by the chocolatier. In addition to their own marvelous confections and ice cream shop, there are a bunch of other little stores there. Wasn't sure if you were in the Nor Cal area or not.

Good to know, but not of much help. I don't even know what Ghirardelli's square is. Except a prodigious decadant chunk of chocolate. :ph34r:

Its a plaza in San Francisco owned by the chocolatier. In addition to their own marvelous confections and ice cream shop, there are a bunch of other little stores there. Wasn't sure if you were in the Nor Cal area or not.

Nope, the eastern boondocks of washington.

• 2 months later...

Two of our very own wonderful craftsman have stepped up to my commision and produced exactly what I was looking for.

hairsticks04.gif

These were hand carved by Patrick Hand and further stained by myself. And serve admirably well in keeping my hair up. Though I must confess that I've managed to lose the one on the right after only having them a month. I can only hope that it has gone on to a home where it will be equally appreciated.

hairsticks03.gif

These two lovelies where custom made on a lathe by Captain Jim-Sib, who his buisness card tells me, aslo makes ships in bottles.

So many thanks to my two fine artisans.