Pirates Attack Havre de Grace Maryland

blackjohn

Ahoy,

On August 13 and 14 pirates will invade the small town of Havre de Grace in the colony of Maryland. Unfortunately for the pirates, the local militia has been tipped off, which will result in a great deal of gunfire and swordplay. So, come cheer on the pirates!!!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Details eh... well, here's what I believe I know... :D

Two battles on Saturday, one at 11 and one at 3.

One battle on Sunday at noon.

Militia represented my members of the Duke of Albany and York's Maritime Regiment of Foot.

Pirates provided by the Pirate Brethren.

There will probably be alot of in camp demos, swordfighting, that kind of thing (unless this heat continues, in which case there will be lots of drinking demos).

My Home on the Web

Hmmmm....where in Havre De Grace? (btw this is my 500th post...I think I'm getting promoted on this one.) :D

Wooo! Congrats!

Hmmm... not having been to Havre de Grace, I don't know the exact layout. I'm told it's near the river, where the canal lock house is.

My Home on the Web

Black John I know where Havre de Grace is. Is there any moe information on where abouts the battle will take place? A web site or somewhere to call? Me sis is very interested in going, and if I get back in time I might even get there.

Sealegs Constance

I am what I am

Here's what I know thus far...

The site is at the canal lock house, which is not actually period (dating from the 1830s), but has plenty of room around it to fight on and have an event on... http://www.hdgtourism.com/do_museums.html. It's the one at the bottom.

The Saturday schedule looks like this...

> 10AM - Site opens.

> 11AM - Battle #1 Pitting Pirates against Militia

> 12:30 - 1:30 Lunch

> After lunch there will be a fashion show.

> 3PM - Battle #2 Pitting Pirates against Militia ( This scenario will

> differ from the first)

> 5PM Site Closes

and Sunday...

> 10AM site opens.

> Noon Battle.

> 3PM Site closes.

How's that strike ya!?!?

My Home on the Web

Yep, that's what it said. The event organizers want it to be a fun event. I don't know if this is an open to the public fashion show, or just for the re-enactors. I'm hoping anyone will be allowed to do their little turn on the catwalk. It would certainly make things entertaining if pirate attired public were included.

That being said, I just received a new email about the event. I'll post more later.

My Home on the Web

More details...

The event is actually called "When Maryland Was the Wild Frontier."

Quoting one of the organizers...

We will have 2 battles pitting the pirates against the militia, soldiers, and townsfolk at 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.

We will have at 2:00 p.m. a 17th Century fashion show for all decades and classes of people.

The schedule has been been left open to add or accommodate other activities such as fencing,, military drill, and impromptu skits, such as honest and sober merchants buying pirate booty or good government officials arresting pirates until they're bribed or threatened.

The event, while emphasising the late 17th Century is open to all 17th Century reenactors, and Jeff Miller will be presenting the early Maryland history such as the Claiborne-Calvert disputes, and Ingle's raid on the colony. Please come for both days or only 1 day, if that's all your schedule permits but do please come. We want this to be an active but relaxed and fun event; not stodgy, stale, or boring.

My Home on the Web

• 2 weeks later...

Here's more info...

We are planning a have our dining fly set up with Janet's sutlery and a display table and at night it will become a tavern (Peg-leg Pete's). I also would like to have some skits such as merchant fencing (buying and trading) goods with the pirates, colonial officials with militia keeping order and being bribed (paid) for their efforts by the merchant and/or pirates, a Quaker preacher trying to save souls, military drill, and either a press gang for the Royal Navy or the arrest of recruiter out of Pennsylvania for privateers.

My Home on the Web

I have a bridal shower I have to do during the day on Saturday, but I noticed that your last e-mail mentioned something about a tavern at night? Peg-leg Pete's? However one of the earlier posts said that the site closes at 5. Will the tavern be open after 5?

My friend ,the bride, loves pirates, maybe I could bring her out at night.

I'm so sorry that I missed the pirate invasion John.

Saturday the bride and the rest of us were all exhausted so we called it an early night. Sunday my family had an early birthday party for me so I was with them all day.

I feel really guilty about missing it. Did you guys have a good turn out?

Hey Rogue, no need to apologize. Half of me says, "sorry you couldn't make it." The other half says, "the weather was like something from hell and you should be glad you stayed away!" :huh:

Saturday was not only hot (with the heat index it was what, 105?), the air quality was some of the worst I've ever seen while at an event. When we pirates weren't out firing at the King's men, we were sitting under the shade of a tree drinking as much water as humanly possible and trying not to move. :huh: Sunday was much better.

As for turnout... our numbers were small, but considering the short notice and the schedule conflicts, I think it went well. And the site coordinator told us the had 500 people come through on Saturday, which to me sounds great for a small event held for the first time. In fact, she was so impressed, she has invited us back to do something in the future, hopefully during better weather!

Lets see... what were some of the high points... we did two battles on Saturday. The first was so-so, just a pirate shoot-out with the King's men. The second battle on Saturday was much better. We came strolling up in front of the audience carrying a large treasure chest to rendezvous with a Quaker looking to purchase "low cost" goods. While bartering, the forces of law and order showed up and ordered us to lay down our arms. An argument followed. And then I opened up on the with my blunderbuss. They then returned fire. We exchanged shots for a bit, then, having lost all but one of my men, we turned and ran.

Sunday we did that same scenario, but with a bit of a twist. We entered town with bottles and mugs in hand, a swagger in our step, and were stopped by a local militiaman. After telling him of our good fortune, and how he could do well if he joined us, we convinced him to switch sides... just as the authorities came on the scene. After a heated "political debate" (about Kings, the rights of man, that sort of thing), we were ordered to lay down our arms. Our response was a hail of gunfire. We lost. :huh:

But we had SOOO much fun we decided to do a second battle later on Sunday! And in this one we won!!! Huzzah!

So, it was great fun, but in god awful heat. When we go back in better weather, I'll let you know.

Oh, I'll also send a link to pics. The site coordinator told us she took at least 500, so she's hoping she'll have more than a couple really good ones!

My Home on the Web

Since it's a nautical based event the site cordinator can have future events posted in Nor'easter's Event's section for free and we post press releases for free too. Let me know the next time something comes up and I'll get you (or her/him) the info. Nothing like some free publicity.

You can hang me from the mast by my toes if I miss the next event!!!! It sounds like you guys had fun despite the heat. I'm heading to the PA Renn Fair this weekend so hopefully the weather stays pleasantly summer hot like today instead of oppressive like Saturday!

I'll pass along the message to her. Yes, free press is always good.

Oh, regarding the event, I completely forgot to mention...

We broke up a slavery ring dealing in halflings,

Discovered that the King's men were actually witches in league with the Devil,

And had a suprise visit from Linen, Wool and Silky Mather, Cotton's two brothers and sister.

:lol:

Guess you had to be there...

:)

My Home on the Web