Key West Cheapo Campsites?

I'm about to take the family for our annual road-trip. This time the bulk of the trip will be the Gulf Coast of Florida, with Key West as our final destination. To keep costs down we generally pitch a tent at whatever national parks, camp grounds, or KOAs we can find, but online research is indicating that even this option can get pricey in the Key West vicinity (~$75/night for four people.)

Any of you Key West gurus know any local secrets you can share? If that's what I've got to pay, then so be it, but if there's anything less pricey I'd love to hear about it!

(looking MUCH forward to visiting the new Pirate Soul museum!!!)

I AM BILGEMUNKY

I would check with KW Pirate - she's one of the festival directors... last year they let people with period camps to camp at the fort...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com