Sterling, NY

PirateWenchNY

:blink: Hope some of you plan on attending opening weekend of Sterling. I know I will be there Saturday fer sure. Hoping to hang about or find a place to camp so we can stay on fer Sunday as well. Give me a post or IM if anyone plans on being there so we can hook up!! :o

Hope some of you plan on attending opening weekend of Sterling.

Aye lass, it be a shame Sterling doesn't have a Pirate weekend like other ren faires do these days. It be a shame the show about Tails Of The Sea (or something like that) is no longer there too.

Would like to return to Sterling someday.

Are ye plannin on goin ta ABay at all fer Pirate Days?

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

:ph34r: Did find a camp ground and was able to "aquire" a tent from some friends. We have season passes so we go every weekend. This weekend it looks like it may just be me and my munchkin. No sibling. I agree it stinks that Sterling does not have more nautical themed acts. But they do have excellent mud beggers.

The faires this year it looks like I will get to are:

Carver MA (maybe? depends on funds, my family lives up there, so a place to stay is the easy part)

Sterling, NY (home faire)

Tuxedo, NY (NYRF)

Maryland for Pirate Weekend

And Penn Renn (hopefully at least once or twice.)

HOPEFULLY, I will at least be able to hook up with some of you at some of these. B)

ABay - as in Alex Bay up north?? Do tell about about these Pirate Days!

Aye m'lovely lass it be the same Alex Bay, NY :)

I can't think of a more Piratey town in all Upstate, NY.

The Pirate Days there are all in celebration of the infamous Bill Johnston.

He was an Early American Patriot who became a renegade pirate in the early 1800s. He was involved, with a band of men, in the movement to take Canada as part of the US. He and his men launched a border attack against the British, who of course still had a hold on Canada, though they had lost the US colonies in the Revolution. The most infamous act they perpetrated was of blowing us the British ship, The Sir Robert Peel. They all became wanted by both the Canadian and American Governments, and managed to evade them by hiding out amongst the 1000 Islands. Years later Johnston was pardoned of all crimes by whichever US President was in office at the time, and became a lighthouse keeper of one of the lighthouses along the St. Lawrence.

Go figure!!! A pirate story with a happy ending!!

Anyway, Alex Bay celebrates Johnston for 10 days. This year its August 12th - 21st. There are things going on each day, but the most active times are the 2 weekends that the festival runs through. Each weekend features a Childrens parade, strolling pirate and sword acts throughout town and the famous "invasion" by Johnston and his men, where they sail in at the main port on the St. Lawrence II, invade, and are awarded the keys to the town. There be deals throughout the week for those who come "dressed as a pirate". There be night block dances, magic shows, treasure hunts for great prizes, and all sorts of chortling fun!! :ph34r:

The second weekend also features a bigger parade as well, on the final Sunday.

It be VERY worth checkin out. B)

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

the 2nd weekend of your celebration coincides with the pyrate weekend here at the pa ren faire.

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

Are ye plannin on goin ta ABay at all fer Pirate Days?

I na be sure if be able to this year.

I've been talking to the St.LawrenceII about helping out. Been getting envolved with the ship since I was at a charity dinner last year (Master and Commander theme at a Military mess - had a couple people envolved with the production speak). When they found out who I was and my training they really wanted me to help out. I'm a Naval Officer who just got back from being a Navigator on one of our ships.

Pirate Days is the same time as a big sailing regatta in Kingston I'm doing SAR for

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

Pirate Days is the same time as a big sailing regatta in Kingston I'm doing SAR for

Aye lad I know about that one. 'Twas goin on when m'boy and I got there and hung out in the park before the invasion. The boats were runnin quite a race.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

I agree it stinks that Sterling does not have more nautical themed acts. But they do have excellent mud beggers.

I agree... Even the Pirate crew is mostly gone.

Had a discussion with Raleigh on Navigation....

I've sailed out of Halifax.... Halifax is really far from Spain (they change Barrett's Privateer)

At least the mud show now has shade... A roof has been built over the viewing area

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)