Contraband Days

Salty Dave Morgan

Arrrrrgh....

Me first post here!

We be noticing that no one has mentioned Cantraband Days on this board. Think Madri Gras with nothing but pirates!

It happens every year in a little city called Lake Charles, Louisiana and is based around the legend of Jean Lafitte and his nefarious deeds in and around the lake there and the Contraband Bayou.

More info can be found at http://www.contrabanddays.com/

B)

Thank ye for the welcome.

Lake Charles is about 30 miles from the Louisiana Texas border and the weather is usually fine for Contraband Days.

The night the pirates (Buccaneers) arrive is a hoot since they actually do sieze the Mayor and usually a city councilman or two and make them walk the plank into the lake. This is followed by raising the Jolly Roger over the city and that signals the beginning of the festivities.

It's also a major boating festival with vessels from all over showing up to make anchor in the lake. The lake is accessable from the Gulf of Mexico via the Intercoastal Canal and there is a large port facility there so large vessels have been in attendance over the years.

:lol:

It is truly a grand event. We attended several years ago and the natives just love pirates. We had a crewe of about 12 that invaded from the Northwest and it is one of the better run festivals around. And we liked the fact that the husband and wives dressed in complementary costumes so we could pick out the singles easier. Made for easier pickings, it did!

And the mayor walking the plank is one of the true highlights! Put it on your calendar, mates!

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 4 weeks later...

We went Last year, and it was a shipload of fun! Not at all authentic, though. Apparently it attracts mostly locals; the pirates couldn't get over the fact that my wife and I had come "all the way from New Orleans" (about a four hour drive) to attend.

As I recall, it was held on the same weekend as Jazz Fest; a big annual event in New Orleans that interests me not one farthing's worth - so that would cut down on New Orleans attendees.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

• 2 weeks later...
Arrrrrgh....

Me first post here!

We be noticing that no one has mentioned Cantraband Days on this board. Think Madri Gras with nothing but pirates!

It happens every year in a little city called Lake Charles, Louisiana and is based around the legend of Jean Lafitte and his nefarious deeds in and around the lake there and the Contraband Bayou.

More info can be found at http://www.contrabanddays.com/

:ph34r:

Cap'n william, I would be appreciat'n any inside info on the contraband days that you could be provid'n to me and my crew. We plan to be in attendance in 2004.

Thomas,

First Mate Jan and I went to the last one. As I said, it was a great fun event. But if you are interested in historical authenticity, forget it!

The theme is that the Mayor has forced the townsfolk to work too hard, so Jean Lafitte and his Baratarians to the rescue! They invade the town, firing out-of-period percission pistols from modern motor boats, while the town militia, firing period-looking but percussion-ignition cannon try unsuccessfully to drive them off.

The pirates land on shore, force the Mayor to walk the blank, then hoist the Jolly Roger, and proclaim that the townspeople will have fun and celebration, until such time, if ever, that the town is able to drive the pirates away.

Then it basically becomes "Let's Party"!

As someone said early, it's kind of like a Pirate Mardi Gras. There are carnival vendors and rides. (Ol' Capt. William gets seasick on rides!)

Lots of pirates, fantasy-garbed.

LOTS of wenches! Good Lord, the place was crawling with gorgeous females, from 15 -25! (Ol Capt, William is 52, and spliced to a good woman and never strays, but ye never do stop lookin'!)

They have pirate doubloons for the event.

We made the acquaintance of the organizers and hung out with them for a bit. I could post names and e-numbers, if anyone is interested. (?) One of the pirate's ladies recognized my lady from Mardi Gras Day in New Orleans, when we went dressed as pirates, with little stuffed parrots on our shoulders. so, we mailed one of the parrots to her after we returned home!

All in all, it was pure fun, and lots of it. Historical authenticity, not even a pretense! The militia were garbed more like 1770's.

:lol:

Capt. William

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Contraband Days is much fun. Had me lady, a crazed coon-ass if aye must say thar while me ship was being refitted. She bout' cut me fins off one day. Something aye said about her mirliton. Still to this very day aye carry the only coin in me pocket from thar that aye didnt squander away. :blink:

Cordially,

Sir Jewels Cole

secondflag.gif

"In casa di ladri non ci si ruba." trans. "There is honour among thieves."

I was educated at McMain, right thar in your neiborhood though I was brought up at the corner of Dauphene and Esplande. I usually call in about 4or5 times a year. Sneaking into port is so fun being in exile. But I have reciently sailed to northen waters and now the song "You dont know what it means to miss New Orleans" really means something. She's a helluva city, none like her anywhere. I have already convinced me self that I'm headed fer warmer climates this fall. aye am just too far away fer a quick slip into the city and make a quick escape......... Small word we live in eh?

Cordially,

Sir Jewels Cole

secondflag.gif

"In casa di ladri non ci si ruba." trans. "There is honour among thieves."

Aye, ye be one o' them magnet school white boys! :lol:

Dauphine and Esplanade? A mighty interestin' place to grow up, mate! Port o' Call, and Dr. Hock the vet are still there.

The Quarter, and New Orleans generally, are changing quite a bit; and not for the better, in my opinion. The city seems hellbent on destroying the very things that made it unique, and replacing it with Holiday Inns and Pizza Huts.

Ever read Interview With the Vampire? There's a scene - touching, to me at least - where Louis returns to New Orleans in the 1970's, after an absence of more than a century, and is astounded less by how much of what he remembers is gone, than by how much of it remains.

I daresay that Louis would have LESS of such a reaction if he'd gone away from here in the 1970's, and returned today.

:o

Capt. William

• 1 month later...

So ennyway (as the Cajuns say)....who's GOING to the Lake Charles Contraband Days this year? The official schedule of events is not yet posted, but it's slated to run April 27 - May 9. I reckon May 1 will be the big kick-off event, with the Mayor walking the plank.

Capt. William