sword question -

Black Dog

I believe I see what Phil is driving at, that the intent of the SCA doesn't really mesh well with the "pirate ideal" as espoused by those sailing in the GAoP, and that one way of keeping out said GAoP pirates is to put a "tech level" cap on their hobby. Hence the year 1600 cut-off date.

That be it! Expressed in a much better way, of course.

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(:(:(:(:(

Well then Mates - I be taking this as a NO - no one knows of a damn thing close to Richmond - guess I should just form my own crew, make off with a ship of the crown, find a "volunteer" maestro (pistols I am familiar with), and start to terrorize the local Navy. :(:(:(

hmmmmmmmmmmm - form my own crew - never really thought of that - Anyone know any history of river pirates????? - James River at Richmond is tidal - could have been!

Willie the rumrunner :(

You can ner' have enough sand in yer stew.

aye lad perhaps you should try the theatre department at virginia commonwealth universtiy there in richmond .... they should at least be able to put you in touch with a stage combat director ....it might be a good place to start locally

:ph34r:

You might consider these

http://www.fbraunmcash.com/McAsh_Navigation.htm

He was the fight director for the Highlander TV series and has a number of links for stage fencing training and info. He also has a video for training purposes. Nice guy, too. Had the chance to meet and talk with him at one of the Highlander conventions.

There's also

http://www.delongis.com/

Another longtime sword and screen fight director. He also gives classes and has training videos. Took one of his classes and go a lot out of it.

You may need to do a bit of travelling, but there are courses out there and the video route is available if you can learn that way.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

If swordplay be what yer after, try a book or video from Stephen Hayes or Masaaki Hatsumi. They drop all o the fancy crap an get right to the cut, so to speak. Their movements are intended to be efficient kill strikes. Trust me, ye won't be disappointed. I studied in their art for quite a few years under two different instructors. It be a practical, down-right dirty, dare I say piratically effective style. Search under Togakure Ryu Ninpo Taijutsu, or the afore mentioned names. Have fun matey !

Aye, kenjutsu be the art o the sword, but taijutsu means the art o the body, it incorporates the sword as well everythin else. So if'n yer lookin' for strictly sword work, kenjutsu would be it for ye. Thanks for the correction matey.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm - all very interesting. For the most part my point of focus right now is to get into the staged combat - local college drama schools may really be the best place to start. That sounds like good advice. With some travel I have found other training sources as well. thanks to all!!!!!!!!

If I ever get into the more serious aspect of swordfighting it would more than likely be under the ARMA system. I have read a bit from - SIGMUND RINGECK'S KNIGHTLY ART OF THE LONGSWORD - and find much to my personal liking. I am from old Brit/German stock - a long sword would fit me well as, I believe, a cutlass would. The european systems may seem a little blurry in the eyes compared to the eastern schools but they are there. This is all personnal choice here. :huh:

Willie the rumrunner :huh:

You can ner' have enough sand in yer stew.

mmmmm....longswords are the buisness!!.....got a nice 'live' long/broad sword in me collection at the present......posted some o' me arsenal in the gallery section....

https://pyracy.com/gallery/details.php?...690&mode=search

the weight is trouble sometimes.......but t' hear it strike against another steel is wicked!!!....hurr hurrr :angry:

Cap'n o' the JADES RISC'S @ anchorage at the port o' Cardiff, Wales, Uk.

Piratesig1.jpg

Aye, kenjutsu be the art o the sword, but taijutsu means the art o the body, it incorporates the sword as well everythin else. So if'n yer lookin' for strictly sword work, kenjutsu would be it for ye. Thanks for the correction matey.

It's all kobudo to me! :angry:

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies fer comin in so late to th' topic, I've been away at a new Port o Call fer a week er two, down in Cabo San Lucas, lookin into th' history of English pirates there.

As for historical or theatrical use of the cutlass as well as any of the other major boarding weapons (sabre, smllsword, pistol,boarding axe, tomahawk.....) ye should check into Art of Combat (www.artofcombat.org).

They can also put ye in touch with an instructor in your area.

They're hosting ISMAC (International Swordplay and Martial Arts Conference) in Michigan this August. There be instructors there in the correct way o' handlin period weapory from the AoP.

This year the Boarding Actions class will actually be held on the deck of a riverboat instead of at the college!

ISMAC is the first con in the US to offer maritime combat classes of this calibre and we're all damn glad ta be doin it!

Monterey Jack :rolleyes:

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Not only does cold steel make an amazing functional cutlass they also have a training video on sabre & cutlass ....

The video ...

http://www.coldsteel.com/vdfsc.html

The Cutlass

http://www.coldsteel.com/19serswor.html

I have found that a wooden chinese dao makes an exelent practice cutlass ... the best ones are made from a single piece of oak (there is no guard)

you can also use one of the many Iberia blades. File down the edge and the point, making it safer for sparring work.You shoul wear protection for any type of weapons sparring (hockey and lacrosse work very well)

Blades ... do a search on this site for "cutlass"

http://www.casiberia.com

:o

nice lookin' weapons but a bit...um pointed for my liking and er...1917?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Yeah- pointy and sharp. Not a good choice for combat training. Also, an 18ga basket? That might be OK for a one shot battle, but 18ga will not stand up to constant hammering without deforming.

Not a blade I'd recommend for any kind of theatrical or re-enactment combat.

Hawkyns

:lol:

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

18? I missed that! The thin bits of me armour are 18! Great for armour, pants for swords, surely that's a mistake?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Think I'll stick to me Armour Class weapons :D

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Agreed, Foxe. I've got a couple of Armour Class and one old Bailiff and I'll put them up against any other re-enactment blade.

I've seen a number of Cold Steel blades and been un-impressed. Everything I've seen so far has been too thin and had no weight in the spine. Pretty and sharp, but looking more stamped than forged,

I'll stay with Armour Class for the heavy blades and Darkwood Armoury for my fencing weapons.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

rod_21.jpg

Agreed Hawkyns, Bailiff blades are also top of the heap, though a bit on the heavy side. Alas Bailiff appear to be heading towards closure if they haven't closed already. I gave away my last Bailiff blade (WHY OH WHY?!), so if you see one for sale snap it up!

My Armour Class falchion has had 6 years of very heavy use and is still completely burr free despite the fact that I have NEVER taken a file to the blade - I'll run the edge down the bit of skin between my thumb and forefinger it's so smooth. How many other swords can you say that about?

Badger, do Last Legend have a website?

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

The SCA is still coming to grips with having fencers in their ranks.

There was a backsword experiment (slashing attacks), but there were problems with authorization.

So for now it's just thrusting attacks.

The group I'm with (Cavalier Society) studies the period manuals. We are working our way though translating Degrassi.

The weapons we use are from Darkwood Armory

We practice sometimes with the SCA fencers but we try to keep to ourselves. They have some calibration problems. The charging and jabbing the sword and dagger like a sewing machine gets a bit repetitive. Side stepping with a parry of the dagger then a poke to the head pisses them off.

If you can, I'd really recommend getting to the Western Martial Arts Workshop, this year in Wisconsin. I've been to it before, and it's an increadible place to learn historical fencing. There was to be a 'boarding action' class using a local 200ft paddle wheeler.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

William, if you are translating di Grassi as you go would you find it easier if I emailed you a copy of :

Giacomo

DiGrassi His True Art of Defense,

plainly teaching by infallible Demonstrations,

apt Figures and perfect Rules the manner and

form how a man without other Teacher or

Master may handle all sorts of

Weapons aswell offensive as defensive:

With a Treatise

Of Deceit or Falsing: And with a way or

Means by private Industry to obtain

Strength, Judgement, and

Activity 1594

the sixteenth century translation into English as a Word document?

I also have a Word copy of George Silver's Paradoxes of Defence. Unfortunately the pictures are missing, but there were less than half a dozen in the original and the text is intact.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Foxe, I 'ope ye don' mind me steppin' in 'ere, but me and th' missus, Blackwater, are just startin' ta let out our inner pyrates an' be in need o' a self-intructin' treatise such as the ones ye be mentionin'. While it may not be wise ta teach one's wife swordplay, I'm prepared ta risk it. I be an old hand wi' a Katana an' wakizashi, but I be new ta this 'ere Eroupean-style bladework. Could ye e-mail them word files my way?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...