How real can we get

Francois

Me and me mate Hawkyns have found a new home. We are gunners on the 1600s merchant ships the Half Moon. So far we were able to live on the ship in period kit for days at a time. We are her gun crew firing deck cannons and cannons below (so far we have done 3 at once) what a feeling. We were also demonstrating musketry off the weather deck. I was trained and went aloft any time I wanted to. We will also be doing sword demonstrations as time goes on. When we are in between our demonstrations we help out with the guided tours. In the future we were asked to do a week long shake down sail out to sea and get the full experience of what we do at port. I cant wait.

I admit I am bragging only because it was a fantastic experience and I'm looking forward to more like it.

My question is.

How many of you have had this experience?

Can this be as close to the real thing as we can get or can we and to what we do to make this a more realistic experiance?

François

bow2.jpgaloft41.jpgtopdeck.jpg

Muskeet.jpg2cannons.jpg

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I am a Free Men of The Sea I don't pillage and plunder.
I covertly acquire!

François Viete Domont de la Palmier
I haven't been accused of Pyracy...............YET

The closest I've ever gotten to making piracy (and sailing tall ships) my daily life is asking for, and not getting, a job on the Bounty (III).

They used to do reinactment cruises around the harbour, the crew all dressed up as pirates and whatnot. (they weren't making enough money, so now they do cruises to islands in the south pacific)

they'd even throw the paying customers over the side to represent the famous Mutiny.

ok, not really...maybe that's why they didn't want to give me the job :rolleyes:

all I can say is that i'm envious of you, damn envious.

you might want to invest in some rubber ear-plugs though. B)

Oh MAN you are so lucky Francois! Where is this ship based out of? I'd say your experience sounds like an unattainable dream for many of us! The only thing that would make it more authentic would be to ditch the emergency gear, the engine, the GPS and try takin' her from New York to Madagascar!

Huzzah and congrats on getting to experience such a thing! :rolleyes:

newbannersigtar0db.gif

No-S#*% ! Congratulations., It seems you have signed the articles.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

I've come close a couple times. My group used to do an event called the Howard Pyle Festival. The festival began with a group of pirates coming ashore from the Kalmar Nyckel, and ended with a fight on the beach between the pirates and Crown forces.

I'm always "jonesin'" to get back to sea... even if only for a day. I'm still looking for the overnight or longer experience, and fortunately for me, I know where to find it!

I've come close to "being there" in a couple other time periods too - at least twice during RevWar events, and once during a WWII event.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Aye Francois,

You an' Master Hawkyns are lucky, lucky sea dogs....

I's GREEN wi' envy!!!

Fair winds an' calm seas to ye both..

Lucky scoundrels....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• 2 months later...

How about trying this-

Subsist on a period diet for the duration.

Have a "churgeon" on board to bleed you when fealing ill.

Practice period sanitation methods (not recommened during daylight or when the public is visiting, but hey, if it's realism they want...). :D

I once canoed the Missouri for about eighty miles in the White Cliffs area over the span of two and a half days. We carried a five gallon jug of water, the rest of our gear, clothing, and weapons was period (well, we had to have PFD's aboard also). I gotta tell ya, after a few days of biscuit, parched corn, and jerky it get's real old. Thankfully the mosquito's weren't too bad, but we did have one angry beaver stalk us late at night for setting up near it's lodge. Met up with some other primitive trekkers, overall was a great trip.

Yours, &c.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Ye be fortunate lads indeed.

My most pyratical adventures were not of a period type, but in some ways essential pyracy. I used to sail as a lad around Tampa Bay on a sailboat belongin' ta a certain Doctor Payne. (No kidding, and a urologist to boot). We would board other boats during Yacht Club races, while under sail, pillage their beer, ice and rum supplies and occasionally make off with young ladies (but always with the ladies' consent.) For some reason, the Yacht Club kept disqualifying us....

Then there was that time we moved the turning marker over to where the sandbar was...Arrr!

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Thanks for sharing mates. Mike I think ill do without the bleeding to make me feel well. I'm not fond of the site of blood. :lol: Especially when its mine. Oh and as for the sanitation well lets just say I wouldn't want to get caught by the authorities. I could use to lose a few pounds so Ill take the period diet.

François

:lol:

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I am a Free Men of The Sea I don't pillage and plunder.
I covertly acquire!

François Viete Domont de la Palmier
I haven't been accused of Pyracy...............YET

Francois,

I'll forgo the bleeding also. Say, think we can start a new diet fad with the "Pyrate Diet"?

Yours, &c.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Damn ! you make the likes of me own sinnin soul jealous and I'm not suppose to be jealous. Tis a right fine looking ship. do tell: Where is it that i must then adventure to? I mean ifin I were to get close I wouldn't want to miss the chance and stop by and say hey ya know... she's a beaut!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.