The Old Bailey

Wow, just stumbled upon this archive of cases from the Old Bailey. I doubt there's anything piratical herein, but certainly plenty of other fun crimes were being committed!!!

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/history/cri...tml#shoplifting

One would hope the Admiralty would do something similar someday... or maybe they have and I just haven't found it?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I'm pretty sure that the Admiralty court records aren't online (oh woe is me!), but there is at least one piracy trial in the online Old Bailey records. If you search for Richard Coyle you should find it (thanks Gosse!). I believe there are a couple of other mentions of piracy, BUT for some reason their search engine doesn't pick them up; I found them while searching for other stuff and to be honest they weren't anything very exciting to the pirate researcher, just passing comments so insignificant I can't even remember what they were.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I do love that Old Bailey site though...many's the slow day at work that I've whiled away the hours perusing that fascinating stuff!

Btw John, how's the snuff treating you? Have you partaken since the Pyrate Feast? I gotta say that was much better than I imagined it would be.....

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Funny you should mention snuff. I just thought about it yesterday. So no, I haven't, but it's tempting me.

I too could get lost on the Old Bailey site. It's fascinating stuff. And very useful too. It's neat to know which crimes were punishable by branding and which by transportation.

ps - thanks Foxe, I'll look him up!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Ever perused the Newgate Calendar? "The original series of this work, by R. Sanders, was published in five volumes in 1760 and narrated notorious crimes from 1700 till then."

You can search on keywords at this site. Try typing in "pirate" and see what you get.

Complete Newgate Calendar

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Just a small word of warning, the Newgate calendar is littered with errors and dubious "facts" for the early period (like the GAoP...). Nothing serious, just things likes names and dates...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Thank you, Foxe, I should have pointed out that the Newgate Calendar was the gossip sheet of its day, focusing more on sensationalism than fact. :lol:

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich