Cannon

So I’ve been building a cannon and the barrel is completed. Well yesterday them ammo came in the mail. I should have waited until the carriage was built, but I couldn’t resist a test fire. I wasn’t sure how loud it would be or if it would actually work for that matter, or if it did work, would I blow myself up. I’ve been blown up before and I have to say I didn’t really like it all that much and wouldn’t recommend it, trust me its not as cool as it looks. But that’s a different story. So I really didn’t want it to happen again and I wasn’t really sure about this thing considering I got the plans of the internet. Well, I got it all set up to fire and when I lit it. KABOOM!!!! . :lol: A muzzle flash about the size of me shot out of the barrel and the blast left a ringing in my ear. I was so stoked that it actually worked and I didn’t end up killing myself. THIS THING IS THE COOLEST THING EVER AND ITS LOUD AS SHIT, HAHA I HAVE A CANNON, my neighbors are gonna hate me.

Petee-2.jpg

Aye Petee,

Ye best be speakin wi' Hawkyns....

He be a Master Gunner, havin' several artillery pieces hisself...

Taugh me most o' what I know 'bout cannons...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

http://www.hevanet.com/stuartp/WebPages/Ca...uccessStory.htm

http://www.hevanet.com/stuartp/WebPages/Ca...rbideCannon.htm

Ya can get an idea of what they can look like and how the work from these sites. Mine looks better, The cannon itself is a different shape and I put some sand in the flat black paint to give it an aged texture look and used some pewter hammered spray paint in spots to make it look a bit more like metal. I also added handles on the top. I havn't started the carrige yet, but mine will look more like a naval gun carrige, with the elevaton notches on the side brass fittings and rope. I will also stain the wood. That project is for this weekend. And yes william ya be knowin me to well Im a tease. I promise I'll post pics of the cannon as well as me new hat. :lol:

Petee-2.jpg

An awesome job really., I looked at the read me's on makin one and am thinkin of gettin with it before the 4th., seems the propellant is the hardest thing to locate really. not a local item? Do you pour the propellant or the water first?., andhow long do you let the gases build up before you lite the fires?

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Thank ye fer the compliment. I had to order the carbide on-line. It took about two days ta get here express mail. I've only found the one place on line that sells it. Ya put the water in first, once ya pour the carbide in put your thumb over the pour hole and wait only a couple of seconds. You can see the gas coming out of the end of the barrel thats a good indacator ta light her.

Petee-2.jpg

kind of excited about tinkerin with this one? I found a vendor on Ebay for 1oz of carbide ., I think I will need to make it more refined (powderize it) 8.95 an oz . that a square deal? how many shots di ya figure that to be?

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

http://www.bigbangcannons.com/catalog/bang...fm?prev=catalog

This is where I ordered mine from I got the three pack, it says about a hundred shots, but thats for the smaller cannons that they sell. I wasn't actually countin how many shots to tube. But the directions that I read said, about a pint of water to a table spoon of carbide. That seems to work pretty darn good.

Petee-2.jpg