Top 10 items for your pirate kit

This will get back on topic....... well maybe....

My origanal concept for my "personna" was to be a Marine.... I was in the Army, and am comfortable with that kinda thing....

But the more I got into it, I figured there were too many people playing Master Gunners, Ships Carpenters, mid level skilled workers and officers.... nothing wrong with that..... but with all the Captains and such... who's going to do the dirty work of sailing the ship?

OK truthfully.... I am better at being a Marine.... I'm not really much of a sailor...... (they talk funny....heave that line.... OH pull that rope there....) Hey... weak mind an' strong back..... I can do that..... just ain't sailed enough to learn it all......

So when I post what you should have for the top ten (see I said I'd get back to topic).... I will post what the crew would have..... not what a Captain or such would.....

I still say learn how to sew first...... <_<

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about this...

But developing your personna (who you are/were) befor you start to put together you kit, may be a good idea....

That way, you know what would have been worn by someone of that class and occupation. And then you wouldn't go out and spend time or money on clothing that you will have to replace later.

Such things as how long were you a Sailor befor going Pyrate, Why are you a Pyrate, and where have you been... will help you decide what you need for you Pyrate kit.

Alright, I'll join in from the fantasy pirate perspective :)

1. Boots: the most expensive part, but I agree with others that they're the hardest to borrow. Now if you're lucky you might even find relatively cheap boots too. I once found a pair for € 50 in a high street shoe store so just look in every shoe shop first, you might get lucky :)

2. Skirt/trousers/breeches, whichever strikes your fancy. If you're doing fantasy pirate then you might as well wear pants as a girl :)

3. Pirate shirt: I'm sure the other ladies will agree with me that going topless is not a good idea :lol:

4. coat

5: tricorn hat

6: flintlocks

7: sword (in my case it's a LARP cutlass, as I take it larping ^^)

8: waistcoat . I've put this on number 8, because personally, if you're doing fantasy and you've got everything up to number 5, then it's quite obvious you're costuming as/portraying a pirate already ^^

Although if it's warm and you're starting out, it might be wise to get the waistcoat before the coat as to not bake to death from the heat

9: food, drinking and camping gear

10: every other bit you feel your pirate persona should need

But developing your personna (who you are/were) befor you start to put together you kit, may be a good idea....

That way, you know what would have been worn by someone of that class and occupation. And then you wouldn't go out and spend time or money on clothing that you will have to replace later.

I couldn't agree more...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

My kit has improved DRAMATICALLY in the last year.

I still need a Period Waistcoat and period shoes (I'm thinking of just making a pair of rope sandals), but everything else is pretty much done.

Sword, Pistol, Belt, Shirt, Britches, etc, are all a check.

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

I know that this idea has been bandied about a lot in the last few weeks, but converting a pair of ankle boots into latchet shoes actually works pretty well (depending on the design of the original boot, of course.) Check it out.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

WHOA THERE! You mean I did something Right? :lol:

Dang! I'll have to quit that or my reputation will surely suffer for it! :lol:

Ok, seriously; This is how I did my Colonial stuff after several years of screwing up. Same with my ACW Bushwhacker stuff. I was born and raised in Pleasant Hill, Cass County, Missouri where hard feelings till exist over the Border Wars and Federal/Kansas attrocities against the civilian population. That is for another time though.

Greg, I like your take on the owner thing! :lol:

But Patrick... a JARHEAD? :lol:

Cool! Bo

3. Pirate shirt: I'm sure the other ladies will agree with me that going topless is not a good idea laugh.gif

All this time i have been trying to convince most of the lasses i know to go topless ....so much cooler in the tropical climates :lol::lol:;););)

shame they only do it in private ....shame for you mates!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I can't imagine why a modern day GAoP reinactor would want or need a boat or ship, given the expense involved.

Because it adds to the graduer of the thing ., dont it now., after all thats wot makes it great., and if'n it wasn't great., everyone would be doin' it .

trinitaxa8.gif

Dont be taken from my dream ., Savvy?

Just kidding with ya BadMcCrack .

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

oi...anyone mention good ole fashioned "durt" yet?...seems to make any impression better by simply being dirty....sure ya tried to weear your best at times...or work clothes seperate...but how many shirts did ya really have?...and shoes?...or waistcoats?...how often were these really washed? or mended?...many seamen became great sewers by necessity...many did not....seems (to the audience) they always pick out the grubby bum/hobo/wino looin guy as a real pyrate...than the neew store bought fancy man.....

plus dirts cheap....

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

yeah...i was braggin about the free "dirt" one year a ta wild west event...thu me self in the middle of the dusty road to get the right look...and discovered that besides dirt...a very fresh "road apple" works as well...not bad for the complexion either i might add. :blink:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

.i was braggin about the free "dirt" one year a ta wild west event.

When I was in The Gunslingers of the Mother Lode we used ashes to get that good dusty look..... it worked, but sometimes I wonder if it was just an excuse to get rid of the ash from someone's fireplace..... :blink:

• 1 year later...

Bump...

I'm suprised this one hasn't seen the light o' day in over a year!

I looked back and noticed I already added my list... But my list was for men's gear....

Since I have watched my wife's gear come together, I think I will do a list for women...

1. Shoes (any period-ish shoes will do, a plain pair of leather mules is a very easy and cheap way to begin here)

2. Chemise

3. Petticote (skirt)

4. Stays (bodice, or corset or whatever you prefer in case you are not interested in the historical stuff)

5. Hat or fabric cap (depending on your portrayal and level of comfort)

6. Mantua OR Bodiced gown OR mid to late 17th century style woman's jacket/coat.

7. Eating ware

8. Pockets (or pouches/purse/haversack....)

9. A weapon - some of my favourites are the GREAT BIG HUGE frying pan (Grace), the BIG spoon (Cheeky), canon (the PiP all women's canon crew) etc.

10. Some rum to share with me! :rolleyes:

Michael_banner.jpg

top five things i've gotten rid of.

more weapons than i can carry. down to a rigging knife and a queen anne. unless its a demo or battle- the rest of the rattle stays behind.

dining gear- down to a poredger and spoon in the ditty bag for the field.

head gear- down to work caps mostly-

leather soled shoes- they hurt me feet and after a long weekend- being layed out for two days is not fun.

thick clothing- just does not get cold enough here. multiple thin layers work better for me.

Top five things i've added.

more water carrying options

a pocket compass/ sundial and sheppards watch. (practical and is a great living history prop on the fly)

ensure i have a decent compact flashlight in my gear

extra socks and foot powder

pencil and paper

** and an add on- my own roll of TP.

Edited by bbcddutchman

For my Buccaneer stuff.... <stuff I'm working on=* Stuff I still have to start=#

Linen Shirt #

Green Wool Venetians *

Linen Drawers *

Grey Wool Socks

Latchet shoes (an old pair of American Civil War Brogans that I cut down...)

Light Tan Wool coat (with all those dang buttons....)#

Doglock musket

Loading supplies (cartridge pouch, powder horn (Frenchie style), primming horn, vent pick and brush, screwdriver and flint wallet)#,*

Snapsack, Haversack and bed roll (so I can carry alla my camping gear)

Pipe, tabacco and tankard fulla brandy

This is what I have so far...

gear.jpg

Snapsack.jpg

dag patrick- you make it seem so simple- my hats off to you.

a modification to the nails thanks to edward and lilly. slide 1/2 inch washers onto the nails and tie the lines below the washer. it keeps them from jumping off in a wind.

Bump...

I'm suprised this one hasn't seen the light o' day in over a year!

I looked back and noticed I already added my list... But my list was for men's gear....

Since I have watched my wife's gear come together, I think I will do a list for women...

1. Shoes (any period-ish shoes will do, a plain pair of leather mules is a very easy and cheap way to begin here)

2. Chemise

3. Petticote (skirt)

4. Stays (bodice, or corset or whatever you prefer in case you are not interested in the historical stuff)

5. Hat or fabric cap (depending on your portrayal and level of comfort)

6. Mantua OR Bodiced gown OR mid to late 17th century style woman's jacket/coat.

7. Eating ware

8. Pockets (or pouches/purse/haversack....)

9. A weapon - some of my favourites are the GREAT BIG HUGE frying pan (Grace), the BIG spoon (Cheeky), canon (the PiP all women's canon crew) etc.

10. Some rum to share with me! :blink:

I pretty much have the list except my weapon is a cat o nine tails.(keep my hubby in line) I pretty much to the weekend ren faire thing, and my garb reflects that. But that is what I enjoy to do.

Yes I do always have rum.

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!

devils advocate here..I'm a year too late. damn sun dial I know I shouldn't read it at night. :blink:

Here is my 2 cents about "authenticity". Re-enacting is fine what ever floats your boat NOT mine. I did it for a lot of years in the SCA then I got bored with it. This is a hobby, one we freely share with each other, and hobbies are supposed to be fun. Of course we had rules and regulations about personae, garb, conduct etc.

My main issue here is the self appointed "authenticity police" who consider themselves the guardians of all that is authentic and take great pleasure in public critique of someone else's hard work, creativity or intimidate a newbie to tears. Perhaps this is to make them feel better about themselves. Of course this is done under the guise that they are "educating" us. Since I've returned to this forum,I've learned about different types of piratical enthusiasts, be they period, fantasy, Hollywood,punk or some unique combination of any or all. In my years with groups like the SCA, science fiction clubs and piracy. I have learned one lesson: If you don't like it too bad,nothing I do is going to get you to change the way you participate just give me the same courtesy.

Every piece of my garb was bought at a modern vendor in the 20th or 21st century,I cannot escape that fact. Even pieces that came from Ren faires may have been made with modern conveniences. Some of my garb may not be period authentic, but I do my best to come close. It is a, constant work in progress as garb should be, but I try to make it comfortable, to create within my own style a picture of who my personae should be. Another important factor is always to make sure that I can use the bathroom facilities with out issue.

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!

devils advocate here..I'm a year too late. damn sun dial I know I shouldn't read it at night. :blink:

Here is my 2 cents about "authenticity". Re-enacting is fine what ever floats your boat NOT mine. I did it for a lot of years in the SCA then I got bored with it. This is a hobby, one we freely share with each other, and hobbies are supposed to be fun. Of course we had rules and regulations about personae, garb, conduct etc.

My main issue here is the self appointed "authenticity police" who consider themselves the guardians of all that is authentic and take great pleasure in public critique of someone else's hard work, creativity or intimidate a newbie to tears. Perhaps this is to make them feel better about themselves. Of course this is done under the guise that they are "educating" us. Since I've returned to this forum,I've learned about different types of piratical enthusiasts, be they period, fantasy, Hollywood,punk or some unique combination of any or all. In my years with groups like the SCA, science fiction clubs and piracy. I have learned one lesson: If you don't like it too bad,nothing I do is going to get you to change the way you participate just give me the same courtesy.

Every piece of my garb was bought at a modern vendor in the 20th or 21st century,I cannot escape that fact. Even pieces that came from Ren faires may have been made with modern conveniences. Some of my garb may not be period authentic, but I do my best to come close. It is a, constant work in progress as garb should be, but I try to make it comfortable, to create within my own style a picture of who my personae should be. Another important factor is always to make sure that I can use the bathroom facilities with out issue.

ERIS

The authenticity/anit-authenticity debate has played itself out at least every few months in this forum for the last 2 and a half years I've been on the forum, and probably a lot more before I signed on.

Once again, the last few times the debate has been brought up is by a seeming "anti-authenticity" proponent mentioning the fabled "garb nazi" that I have NEVER seen any evidence of on this forum. But I do tire of the MYTH of the NON-EXISTENT "garb nazi" being propigated in such a passive aggressive manner.

My suggestion lady, dig up one of the several existing Anti/pro authenticity discussion threads rather than take a good thread that has nothing to do with that debate down that road. Or leave your SCA angst where it belongs, in the SCA. I've been on the periphery of the SCA for close to 5 years, including three Pennsics, and I have yet to meet the fabled SCA authentinazi as well. I am VERY STRONGLY of the opinion that the myth of such a thing is really only an outlet for those who prefer more myth inspired garb to spit in the faces of those who try to go with a narrower view of history.

Cheers

Michael_banner.jpg

My main issue here is the self appointed "authenticity police" who consider themselves the guardians of all that is authentic and take great pleasure in public critique of someone else's hard work, creativity or intimidate a newbie to tears.

Interestingly enough, the only place I have ever run into an "Authenticity Nazi" was in the SCA.... She was nice enough, and had some beautiful photographs of he garb... but I never saw her in anything other than a mumu.....

In the Pub, there are Pyrates that do care about making their clothing as accurate as they can. If you are interested, just ask, and you will get plenty of information...

Just don't ask..."Is this coat authentic.. because I already bought it, and am going to wear it anyway....." and then be disappointed by the answer....

If someone wants to play Pyrate, the "Authentics" aren't going to stop them, or tell them they are wrong (unless they ask..)..... The Authentics are playing Pyrate also, but with a different focus.

Well unless it is at a "Historical/Period Event"... Then the Hollywood Pyrate stuff is "right out".... That should be fairly obvious, but for some reason some people can't figure it out, and can't figure out why we are such "poops" about it.....