Top 10 items for your pirate kit

Just look at Pirates in Paradise. Everybody gets along.

Aye, we do, and yet the one thing I hear most often during and after the event is,"Next year I'm going to..." and fill in the piece of garb/equipment that someone wants to upgrade to be more authentic. Nobody pushes strict adherence to some code or another at PiP, it just becomes infectious, the PiP Virus if you will. Still the PiP Careening Camp (and now the other camps as well) was envisioned as a showcase and breeding ground for authenticity, a place to come and share and learn. As a result a minimum attempt at period garb is expected on your first visit. Then the PiP Virus takes over and the next thing you know you're writing a book on period ship surgical procedures or learning to make period buckets for the fire barrel. No pressure, no authentinazis, just infectious desire to do what we do only better.

Now enough of this and back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to post about PiP... :huh: Basically, the 1720 Careening Camp doesn't have "Garb Standards"... We discovered that it works better to kinda "lead by example..." instead of telling someone what they have to do....

Just because it's fun to pick on Captain Jim...

81b7de60.jpg

LOOK.... BUCKET BOOTS... :huh:

OK that picture was from four years ago when we were trying for figure out how to run a Period Camp...... He doesn't wear the bucket boots at PiP any more... not because someone told him that he couldn't, but because as Capt. Jim posted above, after PiP, everyone goes home and tries to figure out how to make their clothing and camping gear even better for the next year....

Just for funsies.... Because this is The Top 10 Items for your Pyrate Kit...

Wot ye need fer PiP..... to Have a great tyme....(and keeping it inexpensive...)

1: Some way to get there..... I fly out each year, Pyrates that live closer drive....(It cost about $360 to fly out from California)

2: Basic semi-period Pyrate clothing (Slops or Breaches, a shirt, decent shoes, a belt, head covering.... waistcoat or coat.)

3: Something to sleep in or under.... A blanket and....well I have a sail and hammock, others have bought of made tents... if your really on a budget, you can get a canvas tarp and make a shelter... (I'll let Captain Jim post alla bout that.... :huh: )

4: Something to eat and drink from.... a pewter tankard, plate and spoon is period, but onna budget, hit local yard sales and find a wooden bowl and spoon....

5: Your going to need some money... I took $500, but if I hadn't missed the bus on the way down, and didn't have to stay in a Hotel one night in Miami, adding in airport parking ......I would have only spent $200 playing in Key West....

6: Weapons are optional, but a cutlass and guns does make it a lot more fun.....

7: RUM

8: more Rum

9: an extra hat..... Mission and Stinky like playing Musical Hats....

10: A willingness to have more fun than any Pyrate should be allowed to have....

Hey the slogan on the posters... it's the Holiday between Thanksgiving and Christmas with the Family you wish you had.... And that slogan is right......

I am simply going to have to run down and destroy all known copies of that picture...it keeps coming up again and again...Still it goes to illustrate the point, so I'll let it survive.

That and I look damn good in bucket boots. Great Halloween wear and good for parades.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Jamey lad, I likes yer boots! Ifin I had been less schooled and richer when I started I would ave bought mae a pair fer myself! Since I bae a penny pincher n'avin online pirate friends wot knows better I missed out on d'fun uv bucket boots!

Maybe some day ....for haloween or a parade ...maybe I'll get;s mae sum.

I was going to post about PiP... ^_^ Basically, the 1720 Careening Camp doesn't have "Garb Standards"... We discovered that it works better to kinda "lead by example..." instead of telling someone what they have to do....

81b7de60.jpg

LOOK.... BUCKET BOOTS... ^_^

OK that picture was from four years ago when we were trying for figure out how to run a Period Camp...... He doesn't wear the bucket boots at PiP any more... not because someone told him that he couldn't, but because as Capt. Jim posted above, after PiP, everyone goes home and tries to figure out how to make their clothing and camping gear even better for the next year....

Wot ye need fer PiP..... to Have a great tyme....(and keeping it inexpensive...)

1: Some way to get there..... I fly out each year, Pyrates that live closer drive....(It cost about $360 to fly out from California)

2: Basic semi-period Pyrate clothing (Slops or Breaches, a shirt, decent shoes, a belt, head covering.... waistcoat or coat.)

3: Something to sleep in or under.... A blanket and....well I have a sail and hammock, others have bought of made tents... if your really on a budget, you can get a canvas tarp and make a shelter... (I'll let Captain Jim post alla bout that.... ^_^ )

4: Something to eat and drink from.... a pewter tankard, plate and spoon is period, but onna budget, hit local yard sales and find a wooden bowl and spoon....

5: Your going to need some money... I took $500, but if I hadn't missed the bus on the way down, and didn't have to stay in a Hotel one night in Miami, adding in airport parking ......I would have only spent $200 playing in Key West....

6: Weapons are optional, but a cutlass and guns does make it a lot more fun.....

7: RUM

8: more Rum

9: an extra hat..... Mission and Stinky like playing Musical Hats....

10: A willingness to have more fun than any Pyrate should be allowed to have....

Hey the slogan on the posters... it's the Holiday between Thanksgiving and Christmas with the Family you wish you had.... And that slogan is right......

Passing the Rum!! Thank you for explaining it to me. Because Pyrates are so much fun. The weapons I will eventually get depending, but i still got my feast ware kicking around somewhere. And my tankard(In photo)got to put the rum in something.

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!

I am simply going to have to run down and destroy all known copies of that picture

Awh heck... I was postin' a picture showin' us at PiP a long tyme ago.,.. an I didn't even remember ye even wearin the bucket boots.... I just remember we had so much fun.....

Well it is a good picture.... But DAMN... that was the Pyrate Camp 4 years ago..... WOW... we've gotten so much better......

Great Point

I agree with leading by example. I think that there is a natural progression in Re-enacting/living history. At first you do it just for fun, and with pirate, anything goes.

When you do that enough times, you start to see what other people have, and in conjunction, start doing your own research.

That is when the hook gets set... you start wanting more than "just enough garb to get by".

You see individual pieces that appeal to you, and then you run into folks like Pat Hand, Chloe Black, Michael B, and Captain Stirling, and go whooooaaaa!

Its hard to be 100%, but its fun to try to get there.

There is a friendly "one-upmanship" that pushes the authenticity boundaries further and further.

I know I have recounted this story before, but I and some friends, had toyed with the idea of doing pirate in the 90s. We had kicked around some ideas, but the final straw was going to a time-line living history event in Williamsburg, VA.

I can't remember what gear I was in at the time, but right by our camp walked Black John and his wife, and man they were decked out in "real" pirate stuff.... not the fantasy pirate clothes but what I had thought real pirates looked like.

That's when I made up my mind to take the plunge.

Now, I am sure Black John could tell you all the things that were wrong with his kit on that day, but the important thing is that we don't stay static in our pursuit. Black John has improved in the last 10 years, I have improved in the last 10 years, and the hobby has improved as well.

We need to nurture our pirate brethren (and sistren?) and help them get better, not berate them because they don't meet a particular standard.

And leading by example is one of the best tools available.

Edited by Gentleman of Fortune

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• 4 months later...
...sextants, at least those we commonly come across, are not period for the GAoP, they were developed by Captain Campbell RN in the 1750s. An octant, Hadley quadrant, Davis quadrant, plain quadrant, cross-staff or astrolabe would be a fine and useful alternative.

Agreed and understood, except...

The sextant was an easy purchase.

Decided to purchase several guns instead of one astrolabe. They just aren't cost-effective. The reason I have one as my avatar is... so I have at least ONE astrolabe, even if it's only a virtual one.

If someone finds a good source of affordable astrolabes, PLEASE start a new topic thread in PLUNDER.

So I see ye be looking for an Astrolabe, I may have a source. I don't know the cost but I do know it is a museume quality reproduction of an original cast in bronze. When held against an original I challenge you to pick the reproduction.

Commodore Swab

id.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
...sextants, at least those we commonly come across, are not period for the GAoP, they were developed by Captain Campbell RN in the 1750s. An octant, Hadley quadrant, Davis quadrant, plain quadrant, cross-staff or astrolabe would be a fine and useful alternative.

Agreed and understood, except...

The sextant was an easy purchase.

Decided to purchase several guns instead of one astrolabe. They just aren't cost-effective. The reason I have one as my avatar is... so I have at least ONE astrolabe, even if it's only a virtual one.

If someone finds a good source of affordable astrolabes, PLEASE start a new topic thread in PLUNDER.

redskytrader on ebay has one for around $50

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

• 14 years later...

Well..... My original list was from when I was just getting into this era of reenacting.... I think I will revise my list with a couple of years experience behind me now.

1. Latchet shoes. This has not changed, as it is one of those items that almost NO ONE has extras of to loan out (for the one or few people out there that have managed to be exceptions, please just don't contradict me here...)

2. Basic clothes. I had these broken out previously, but combining here. While many clothing items can be borrowed, many experienced reenactors will have one or more extras of most pieces, it is often more comfortable to wear your own clothes. Specially socks and shirts. More often than not, we get super hot and sweaty, wearing something someone else has sweat a lot in is unpleasant, and it isn't exactly pleasant to sweat a lot into borrowed items.

3. Hat or cap, I don't care what style it is (or for female impressions there are other head coverings that might not fit tidily into the hat/cap category.... but some sort of head covering appropriate to the period.

4.  Eating gear: plate and/or bowl, drinking vessel in wood, leather, or earthware is highly recommended (NOT pewter/tin/white-metal), spoon and/or fork. Get as close to period correct as you can... but these are items that can often easily be store during "public hours" and will get the most lenience for strict authenticity standards.

5. Shelter. Whether a tent, or fly, or sunshade or whatever. Unless you know the event you are attending have accommodations (which is rare), this is another item that is exceptionally difficult to borrow. I say this as a person who at one time in recent years owned my own personal tent, and 3 loaner tents. Go small. Everyone loves the canvas palaces.... but smaller tents are easier to set up, take down, store (when at home), and significantly easier to cram into smaller spaces when camping space is at a premium.

6. Period bag/luggage. Whether a snapsack, sailor's bag, sea-chest (that can be easily carried fully loaded), or whatever era-appropriate thing you want... having period-looking storage for your clothes and gear is a lot more important than many beginners think.

7. A good well made period knife (as close to period correct as you can get). Over the years, the usefullness of these has come up so often... and it is also one of the items folks continue to lean into "over-the-top" exagerated "weapons-looking" type knive. Seriously, a 5"-6" blade simple period sutting tool will be FAR MORE USEFUL and better than anyting extravagant looking. This item can and should be able to double as a reasonable eating utensil.

8. Bedding. A wool blanket and a sheet (or lighter blanket). Linen would be "better" for the sheet/lighter blanket, but even I use a block-print cotton sheet (later 18th/early 19th century design). People often skimp on the wool blanket part.. because wool blankets are not cheap. But the amount of times I have had to loan out one of my extra wool blankets, is a strong testiment to the value of this. You can always put the wool blanket under you for extra cushion if the weather is hot. If you don't have one (and there are no loaners are available as there rarely are) and it is cold.... you are in for a rough ride, and potentionally dangerous time.

9. I'm going to think more on #9 and #10 before circling around and editing this post to complete my list.

But I promise weapons of any variety will not make my list. Weapons are always the thing people have the most "extras" of.... and I also know, contrary to the good advice of "get weapons LAST" , it is advice absolutely no one in this hobby is capable of following (or exceptionall few people can follow that advice).

On 9/1/2007 at 12:01 PM, michaelsbagley said:

1.(/s) Latchet shoes (which I don't have yet, but is at the top of my list to get)

2. Linen shirt

3. Knee breeches (which I have), or slops (which I still have yet to make).

4. Short waistcoat and/or short sailor's jacket

5. Socks/Stockings (commenting because of another thread I saw on this forum, I have a wool pair, and a Linsey-Woolsey pair, I found the linsey woolsey pair much more comfortable in the summer than the wool, not sure how the linsey-woolsey compares to cotton, but judging from wearing my modern socks on a daily basis (which are all cotton), I would guess the linsey-woolsey would feel better).

6. A hat (I have prefer a cocked hat on me, but I'm guessing there probably should be more of the other period hat styles out there).

7. Belt (sword belt in my case).

8. Period hanger sword to go with number 7.

9. A Musket or pistol of some variety (another item on my to get list)

10. A Shot pouch or cartridge box to go with item #8 and 9. (Still need to buy or make this as well), other gun accessories could be lumped in here as well (powder horn etc.)

Edited by michaelsbagley
Accidentally hit some hotkey that applied strikethrough to half of my post.
Michael_banner.jpg

It's funny... looking at prior lists shoes were either first or last.

My list is pretty close to Michael's above...

1. latchet shoes should always be FIRST! (good luck borrowing something that fits). Granted, this represents a first commitment to the hobby.

2. Clothing: breeches, shirt, socks, hat (minimal)

3. something to carry/hide your necessaries (phone/wallet/medications/etc): haversack, sailor bag, snapsack, market wallet (No, not a belt strap for your mug).

4. Eating gear. plate/bowl/trencher, spoon, mug

5. sailor knife - this should be bundled with #4 since you need a knife to eat with and a salior would not be caught dead without one.

The above allows you to participate in good fashion during open hours, then you can look at bedroll, shelter, etc

6. bedroll: wool blanket at very least (I rank this above shelter, because tent space and barracks are sometimes available) I've seen William sleep under a picnic table wrapped in a flag, and on a rug under the stars. Totally depends on your preferences, or lack thereof.

7. Shelter: a simple fly (10X10) is flexible enough for a leanto, an oar tent, etc... AND, if you are staying overnight, you may want a Turkish (linen) towel for showers. Nothing worse than a modern striped towel hanging to dry in camp.

8. The rest is mostly dependent on your character's vocation and how you want to represent it, i.e firearms, a scrub bucket, nautical tools, etc.

As you traverse the hobby, you will develop your own preferences and acquire unique items from your travels that become part of your kit.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

HOLLYWOOD VERSION

(Just for laughs)

1. A really big hat and I mean big, with lots of feathers and stuff
2. Bucket boots (duh)
3. A Pirate name preceded by "Captain"
4. Costume justaucorp with loud decorations and big sleeves
5. belt straps for mugs, bags, and extra stuff
6. Baldric with big gaudy buckle and attachments for at least 4 pistols
7. black jeans
8. sleeveless waistcoat with gold brocade and medieval shoulder flaps
9. A striped sash. You know... like capt jack
10. Flair - at least 15 pieces of flair on your coat and hat
11. Bourbon street beads
12. sunglasses
13. At least one skull ring for each finger

Why 13? Cause too much is just enough!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

On 1/4/2009 at 7:52 PM, Patrick Hand said:

I was going to post about PiP... :huh: Basically, the 1720 Careening Camp doesn't have "Garb Standards"... We discovered that it works better to kinda "lead by example..." instead of telling someone what they have to do....

LOOK.... BUCKET BOOTS... :huh:

Ah, I do love a good revival - and this is a great one. Learn from us, grasshoppers of pyracy - we all started somewhere. If you have to choose between attending an event, buying latchet shoes, or buying a weapon - my personal advice is to prioritize In That Order*. To wit - ATTEND THE EVENT. Exposure to other great living historians and reenactors will guide you as you plan your Kit.

*Note correct footwear being a very, very, VERY high second priority. Reference the most notable PiP refrain - “My feet!” 

That said, Michael Bagley and MadPete make Excellent Points, very well considered, indeed! 

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

On 5/29/2024 at 11:58 AM, madPete said:

HOLLYWOOD VERSION

(Just for laughs)

1. A really big hat and I mean big, with lots of feathers and stuff
2. Bucket boots (duh)
3. A Pirate name preceded by "Captain"
4. Costume justaucorp with loud decorations and big sleeves
5. belt straps for mugs, bags, and extra stuff
6. Baldric with big gaudy buckle and attachments for at least 4 pistols
7. black jeans
8. sleeveless waistcoat with gold brocade and medieval shoulder flaps
9. A striped sash. You know... like capt jack
10. Flair - at least 15 pieces of flair on your coat and hat
11. Bourbon street beads
12. sunglasses
13. At least one skull ring for each finger

Why 13? Cause too much is just enough!

HA! This one cracked me up! Flair. That's such a nice way of putting it. One trinket dangling off the garb is too much. I'd say if yo'r going to have flair, at least look like yo'r a fop that just appeared from Versailles in 1700. 

I generally agree with the whole lot of ye

Edited by LadyBarbossa
hit the enter button and wasn't ready

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!