GLBT Pirate Gathering near Dallas

moricktowain

I am currently in the process of putting together a GLBT (Gay Lesbian Bi Trans) pirate gathering weekend. Being a gay man myself, I always drool when I see a man in pirate garb, but can never get a chance to really compliment verbally the way I want to. Recently a GLBT only campground opened about an hour from Dallas, and I've been talking to them about holding a Pirate Gathering weekend there. My pirate themed social group (mainly gay, but we welcome straight people as well) has debated in the past whether to hold a camping event somewhere, but have never had the location to do it, and now we have a place to do it. A date has yet to be determined, but will be once I have 10+ people interested in attending.

So, with that, I'm posting an announcement that I am putting together a pirate gathering/camping weekend, which will be held at a GLBT adults-only campground (which I'll name once I have the specifics nailed down). The event will be open to both those who have interest in dressing along the Hollywood Stereotype (like myself) as well as those that have interest in dressing more along the historically accurate side. I have a few contests planned for during the event, including a "king of the island" competition centering around a swimming platform in a lake there (using boffer swords as weapons), a swimming relay competition, as well as one of those "best [whatever] competitions". I'm also planning to have a pub sing style event around the campfire on the property.

I'm also hoping to find someone associated with the SCA (who is GLBT) who might be able to come down and help with some swordsmanship training as well as some simple knot tieing education.

There will also be some more "adult oriented" suprises planned, including something regarding what garb can be worn by one group of campers.

So, what I am in the need for is people to contact me via email at piratebrethrenofTX@yahoo.com if they are interested in attending. One word of warning: The campground is GLBT only, so sorry to the heterosexuals that might like to come down...they won't be able to attend. (It's not my rule, but the campground's rule.)

If anyone has any general questions, I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Morick Towain

Captain of the Pirate Brethren of Texas

Moderator of the Gay Pirate Reenactors Yahoo group.

Morick Towain

IBoRP #116

• 4 weeks later...

Update: A date for this event has finally been selected. The following is the "semi-official" announcement regarding the event:

Greetings. I am posting to let all know about a special event that will be held at the Circle J Ranch and Cattle Company campground, a new GLBT (Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transexual) only campground that has opened an hour from Dallas, which is being arranged by the Pirate Brethren of Texas. This event is being held solely for the GLBT community. Garb will be encouraged for the entire weekend, and garb can either be towards the Historically Accurate or towards the Hollywood Stereotype. We are also opening this up to pirate-type characters from multiple time periods as well as science fiction/fantasy (so, yes, one could come as a loincloth clad barbarian pirate.)

Although the events associated with this weekend will be more geared towards men, we will make accomodations for any lesbians or bisexual females that want to attend As per rules of the campground: The minimum age for participation in this event is 21 (18-21 is allowed as long as a parent or legal guardian accompanies said person).

The campground will also be open to the general (GLBT) public during this weekend, so there will probably be people in mundane who will be there. in light of this, there will be some of the special events planned during the weekend that will be open only to those in garb. Also, as this is open to both those that like to dress along the Historically accurate standpoint and those that want to dress along the Hollywood stereotype standpoint (like myself), those that like to be "garb nazis" should try to refrain from commenting on someone's garb not being period. There will actually be a camping area for historically accurate camping and garb wearing.

This will be an adult oriented event, however there will be limits as to what can be done, and where. There will also be contests during the event, including a three round "King of the Island" competition, taking place on a small lake on the property. There may also be a swordfighting competiton, using boffer swords (PVC pipe covered in foam). Many other suprises will be in store for participants of this event. Some of the more adult-oriented activities will be at a location that one must make an effort to get to.

The event will take place from Friday, August 19 to Sunday, August 21. Registration for the event itself will be free, owever participants will have to pay the normal camping fees set up by the campground, which are $15.00/night, with a $10.00/year membership fee. So, if you wanted to attend for the whole weekend, it would cost $40.00/person (2 nights of camping plus the membership fee). Registration for the event will only be used so that we know who is participating in the contests, and so that only those registerred will be capable of recieving awards for the competitions.

If a participant lives in Dallas, I would encourage they car pool down to the event with another participant, as it will cost about $20.00/vehicle in gas to get to the site and back.

Reservations are required to go to the campground, so those interested will first need to contact the campground and make reservations for that weekend (In case you talk to someone who may not be aware of the event, please make reservations for the weekend of August 21.).

So that I will know how to arrange the camps approprately, and so that I can get enough awards made, please also get in touch with me via email. (The email address is in the next paragraph.) Please also include in that email what camp you are more interested in camping in, and if you plan to attend in garb or mundane(normal attire).

If anyone has any questions, please get in touch with me via email at piratebrethrenofTX@yahoo.com, and I will answer your question to the best of my ability.

For more information on the campground itself, please visit their website at www.circlejranchandcattlecompany.com

Morick Towain

Moderator of the Gay Pirate Reenactors Yahoo group

Morick Towain

IBoRP #116