Help with anyone?

Fox

OK,

back in the 60 my grandmother was a teacher (until the 80s actually, but our story begins in the 60s), and one of her subjects was drama. She staged and directed the school plays at more than one school for more than two decades and over that time collected an enormous amount of costume, much of it antique. Among this costume is this coat which I am now trying to give a decent identification to.

rncoat001.jpgrncoat008.jpg

I believe it to date to the late 18th or early 19th century, but I'm hoping that someone else might notice some detail I have missed or misinterpreted.

The entire coat is handsewn, so it's not a later am-dram copy, and the buttons and braid appear to be an integral part of the coat, ie not added on later.

rncoat006.jpg

Officially the crown was not added over the anchor on RN buttons until 1812, so this may help date the coat, but on the other hand there was a certain amount of personal leeway with officers' uniforms so this may not be entirely reliable. The pattern of the coat does suggest an earlier rather than later date. The presence of fittings for two epaulettes rule out the possiblity of it being less than a Post-Captain's coat, and one of more than 3 years standing at that.

What is somewhat confusing is the arrangement of the gold braid. The marks left on the coat show that although a couple of small pieces have broken off and been lost none has been deliberately removed, and none seems to have been added. From the front the coat looks like a Rear Admiral's coat of the early 19th century, but the very modest amount of braid on the pocket flaps lead me to doubt this. On the other hand, there is far too much braid for a Captain's undress coat, so unless it is an unrecorded and unofficial Commodore's coat I don't see what else it can be except a Rear-Admiral's coat with minimal braid on the pocket flaps.

So, any thoughts anyone?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk