Pyrates of the West Coast

An interesting evening indeed. As I walked back to the galley to find more food for Mr. Lasseter and the others I pondered over the events of the night. The captain seemed worn, and I was sure he would be glad to be leaving this place which had been nothing but sorrow and inconvenience to the ship and its crew. I stopped suddenly with a disturbing thought, I’d seem to have lost the young lady left in my charge and I could not recall where I saw her last. “Oh well, I suppose she’ll turn up somewhere if she didn’t jump ship already.” I went on my way without giving it another thought, my mind already on other matters. “Now….where was that hidden bottle….”

GageSig.png

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye cap'n...

::Mr. Lasseter approached the gathered landing party and spoke in low tones, the looks of dissapointment could be seen even in the dim light, but they did brighten when it was told that an adventure to find hidden treasures was still in the making.... Mr. Pew collected their pistols and the men wandered off to respective parts of the ship. Dorian turned back to the Captain, walked over and stood...::

Right... I sent 'em off... be right back.. need somat from m'quarters...

::He nodded and headed to his quarters, retrieved his pipe and tobacco and returned to the deck...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Le Requiem

The launches were lowered as silently as possible to the liquid blackness of night time waters. Ropes were thrown down and tied securly as hands on opposit side gained leverage to push her from quay companionship. The weatherdecks became as a disturbed anthill in a flurry of smooth and calculated actions. Mooring ropes were placed in order until their call to duty once again arose and with sluggish movement, Le Requiem responded to her keeper's whims.

Shuttered lamps called to waiting brigantine and were answered in turn...

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

When Mister Lasseter returned, William called him to the bulwark rail.

"I think I'll leave Ilex ashore here."

Mister Lasseter puffed and made no response whatever. This in itself was a kind of response and William continued.

"Since she believes enough that she won't depart the ship unless the treasure is found, she can't have been keeping much truth of it to herself. Besides, I want no more prisoners aboard. I am utterly finished with the feeding and keeping of spies and prisoners."

William paused awhile, content to say nothing. Mister Lasseter simply puffed away. The night was a cool one, even for summer. The mildest hint of a moondog had formed around a nearly complete Luna and it spoke of rain in the coming days. William surmised it would be mild and would arrive no sooner than tomorrow evening and he said such aloud. He made several mental notes regarding the change of weather. The ship would perform differently under wet sail, but not so much to effect her performance.

Then he remembered something the Quartermaster had said before "What was it you said before? This bit of news about Tito and Firethorn?"

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Mmmmmm... Aye, Firethorn n' Tito took their leave... Decided ta find adventure on La Margarita 'r mayhaps ship out on some other voyage... Somat about San Juan... So, I paid 'em their due and wished 'em best o' luck...

::He went back to smoking after relaying the information, looked around the ship and settled against the rail...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

William sighed a little and it was as much fatigue as it was acknowledgment. It was the way of things. The Watch Dog was nothing more than a privateer and could not compel any man or woman to stay aboard if they chose to draw their pay and go. there was simply no contract of that kind to keep anyone aboard. William had thought to change this, but decided against it.

"What does that make now? Six?"

"Five, Cap'n." The Quartermaster said, certain of the number. "Mister Straw, Kendra, Simon, Tito and Firethorn, all gone."

"You haven't heard then?"

"'eard...?"

"Miss Swan. She's run off. I overheard Mister Warren speaking to Monahan. It seems that she found favor with a handsome man about the docks earlier today and she slipped her moorings in the middle of the loading. She didn't even draw pay from what I hear."

"Must 'ave been 'andsome indeed, Cap'n."

"Aye." William said, glad to laugh a little. He had had his share of small rooms, fragrant and not so fragrant today. The fresh air was reviving, if the air where the sea and land met could be called such.

::Dorian leaned on the rail a bit longer, finished the bowl of tobacco and tapped the ashes out over the side. He stretched and looked about, noticing that Le Requiem had shifted her mooring, as a point of fact, it looked as if she was putting out to sea...::

Er.... Cap'n? Look yonder.... Cap'n Fournier looks ta be taken 'is ship out... Lemme check if th' goode Doctor 'as returned unbeknownst...

::He left the rail and walked across the deck and into the Surgery where Nathan lay in a semi concious state, and Jonah was leaning against the wall snoring. No sign that the Surgeon had returned was present, so he stepped into her quarters, much was the same here, aside from the vacant spaces where Armands belongings had been, all her belongings were still in place...::

How very interestin'.....

::He headed back out into the waist and over to the gangway, peering out over the warf he saw no one of conciquence. Turning to the nearest man on watch he queried him if He had seen the Surgeon. He had not... A sense of unease crept into his gut... Had Fournier decided to keep Tempest aboard?

Had Armand convinced her at the last moment to join him? These were questions left unanswered in his mind...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

William watched the progress of Fournier's ship as it went and was content to stand a long time watching. When Mister Lasseter returned he noted his expression and his inquiry.

"She'll be along presently, Mister Lasseter. It cannot be easy for her to depart Armand's company."

"Aye, Cap'n."

"Besides, I would think it a welcome opportunity for her to converse in her native tongue...and who would not enjoy being immersed in the familiarity of one's own words? The small respite from the surgery should do her well."

"Aye, Cap'n. Glè mhath."

Melded into the shadows the two newly made companions kept the company of simple to wheeled cart and its' burden. It was an odd thing to Raphael to not be in the cladding of lieutenant's guise, the loose layer of shirt and britches were unfamiliar to his form but the heavy boat cloak gave some comfort. The wide brim of hat created a darker obscurity to youthful face, though the shadowed pale sights jept careful watch of the area.

The corvette slipped near silent to more open water, her outline almost phantasmic in the pitch of the hour. They stood in the night's embrace, following Le Requiem's progress, signaled to the slip of bay's chains with the sudden appearance of white bloom echoing tint of moon above. Stern lamps, like twined stars of golden lumination came to life and the corvette heeled to new bearing.

The Sphinx kept near proximity of charge and waited with practiced patience to her whim. A second series of bloom occured in the distance as brigantine followed consort's direction and in moments, both were unseen to the naked eye. It was only then that she made any movement, turning slowly away from the view captured and dismissed.

Raphael lifted the tilt of wagon extention and pulled forward to follow in her solem wake...

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

::The feeling of uneasiness subsided some with the resonable explination William gave. It still remained, but much less than before... Dorian continued to watch Le Requiem until she dissapeared into the night.... He remained stationary, testing his patience, waiting for the call of a lookout or a voice from shore. He still carried his pipe and tobacco pouch in his left hand and fiddled with it, almost dropping both. Absentmindedly he packed the bowl with fresh tobacco and forced himself to slowly walk to the nearest lantern in order to light it... This accomplished he again slowly walked to the larboard rail, scanned the quay and sighed.... no one in sight... as he turned away the bump and squeal of a cart echoed in the darkness...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ciaran thumped the mainmast once with his foot and it was just loud enough in the stillness to give attention to everyone at the waist. William joined Dorian at the rail to watch the approaching cart and the two nearly familiar forms in the gloom. A dog barked from a neighboring street as they reached the connecting dock.

Perhaps it was fitting that Claude Marchande sounded the seventh bell of First Watch as they reached the ship. A passage of Revelation crossed William's mind at the sight of Chanault, but he laid it aside.

The sudden pierce of canine sound froze Raphael in forward movement and the cart was put to rest as left hand moved to the newly bestowed craftmanship of steel and wood. The area was scanned to discern animal's protest and was given up to mindless verbose. Remanaging the cart's tilt, they continued to the gangway, where his charge mounted slanted plane. Setting the cart back to rest angle he followed behind, the soft brush of boot to wooden surface like a whisper of the wind.

The formalities which become all who enter an armed ship at night, came and went as easily as the duties of the day. William welcomed Chanault and Tempest aboard with a pleasant affirmation and relaid his pleasure that they were again safe aboard, if anyone could hope for safety there.

The cloud that had obscured Mister Lasseter's usual calm was gone now, and although Tempest looked heavy in her thoughts, she was not outwardly removed.

"Have you discussed any arrangement in the nature of accomodations?" William asked, uncertain where he might place Chanault.

The query seemed far off at first, but finally made home and the delicate wrought of brow furrowed before response ensued.

"Monsuier Chanault will berth where Armand did before him. Please see that his dunnage is brought aboard and delivered to the Surgery."

Her focus drifted to the horizon line in brief, "I do beg your leave, Captain, but it has been a most trying day which I would prefer to set abaft me."

"I understand of course."

William turned to call for hands, but Mister Lasseter had already gathered several strong lads with a gesture and the belongings were taken away at once.

"You may retire, Doctor. We shall weigh anchor within the hour and put to sea at once. We'll speak on all other matters tomorrow. Your patients are returned to you. Mister Lasseter has seen to their lodging in the surgery and the forward berth. Mister Gage is at your disposal for any food or drink you might require for the time being."

"I thank you for your consideration."

Then she turn towards the direction of her small kingdom's comfort. Chanault proffered salute and word of appreciation then with the relacement of shadowed crown, followed in turn.

::Mr. Lasseter watched the happenings from his position next to Captain William, then watched as the Surgeon and newly aquired Surgeon's mate walked to their ward, he noted that they were nearly identical in height, Chanault just a touch taller. It was a trivial thing, but just something that caught his eye. Turning to other matters he addressed William...::

Well... now that they's aboard... shall I fetch 'Lady' Ilex? She be cleaned up an' fed as well as she would take... put 'er in that cart with some specie an' be done with 'er...

::He put his pipe back in his mouth and puffed slowly as if deep in thought...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

William nodded, but said nothing a moment. "

There is still this matter of Flint's man ashore. Mister Flint asked me to do what I may for this Henry fellow held prisoner ashore. No doubt it was Gaultier's doing. I've pondered the matter and can see no easy way to the man save to rescue him by force or risk the matter by prolonged explanation to the Don. And seeing as I have no explanation, I'm inclined to tell Mister Flint I can discover no practical means of securing the man's freedom. I am loathe to tell Mister Flint that his man must be left behind, but as it stands, what can be done? What may be done without risking all again on the same day?"

::The QuarterMaster listened to what the Captain had to say and in ernest found himself deep in thought about the plight of Billy Flint's mate imprisoned ashore... He shifted his pipe around in his mouth and came to a conclusion...::

I do believe there be naught we c'n do fer th' lad... We're ta slip 'r moorin's presently an' I have no want ta risk any more this day... this month fer tha' matter... I'd be happy ta be th' messenger o' such tidings ta Billy, iffn' it'll ease yer mind... Best to be done is mayhaps dash off a quick note ta th' Don, say 'e was locked up under false pretenses? Dunno what it'll accomplish... but it might be worth a try...

::He shrugged then used his pipestem to point forward...::

I'll get some lads ta bring lady Ilex to her 'chariot'.... Cap'n....

::He then strolled to the rail, tapped the embers out of his pipe, then headed to the forward companionway...::

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Thank you, Mister Lasseter." William said as the Quartermaster went below. He called the Master-at-Arms to the waist and gave him instructions. First, he was to fetch his two best sprinters for a final errand ashore. Second, the watch would be thinned just prior to the eighth bell and the change of the watch. William meant to take advantage of the full crew as Second Watch came on in order to speed their departure. And last, he wanted Ciaran to report to him during the changing of the watch. He had some words to speak to the fellow.

::Heading below, Mr. Lasseter gathered three of the men he earlier had assembled for a shore party...::

Mooney, Roche, Whiting... with me...

:: He continued forward and to the lastage... he opened the door to find the Lady Ilex in a better state than he last saw her, but not anywhere near as high and mighty as she once had been.... She looked up at him questioningly...::

Aye MiLady.... time fer ye ta be leavin' us... Lads be so kind as to carry th' Lady topside....

:: he stepped aside to let the men past, as he did so he spoke under his breath... ::

My choice woulda been o'er th' side...

::The men hoisted her up and started carrying her out. She had a look between fear and relief on her face, to which the QuarterMaster grinned in a devilish manner...::

Off ta wot fate ye brought upon yerself....

::This did not relieve her fears, as a point of fact it may have caused greater fear, as he had hoped... She struggled some, but was too weakened to cause issue with the men carrying her... They gained the outer realms and Dorian then took the lead, walking across the gangway and over to the cart...::

Put 'er 'ere...

::As they set her in the rough cart he bent close to her ear and whispered...::

Prey we have no reason ta return... yer very fortunate to be ashore whilst ye still live, this could easily been a ride to a shallow grave...

::He pulled two coins from his pocket and held them over his eyes...::

Just in case... 'ere's payment fer th' ferryman...

::He then dropped them in the cart and turned away...::

C'mon lads... time we be off...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

William watched all of this interchange as Lady Ilex did her best not to watch anything but the ground. With her removed, William gave the deck over to Mister Lasseter, informing him that he would pen a letter at once to be sent by men of Mister Pew's choosing. He then made his way to the Ward Room.

Here, he found quill and parchment. He went to work at once and with care, penning what might be the man's only hope of escape. It was a letter of the most careful explanantion and it implored the Don for this final favor, that the man be sent homeward or to what service he may. The letter done, he sealed it up with wax and returned to the gun deck.

In the time he had been at writing, Mister Pew had selected McGinty and Thomas Fitch. Fitch was little more than a lad, but he was quick and McGinty and he got along fast together. No one would look twice at them.

"Take this to the nearest place whereby it may be delivered to the Don. Do not seek to run the entire distance yourself or I'll be writing another letter. I mean to leave as soon as I am able, so go and come back again with haste."

"Aye-aye." They said together and both were off, and to look at them you would not have guessed they were armed.

Mister PEW sent word up to Ciaran that the Captain wished his presence when the eighth bell was sounded, and the second watch commenced. The Lookout yelled down, 'aye, sir', as Tom Fitch and John McGuinty departed ship and raced along the wharf and out o'sight.

Turnin' back to sea, Ciaran felt a rush of excitement. Soon the Watch Dog would be leavin' this cursed place and heading out fer new adventures. Ciaran wondered if everyone aboard were as ready as he to leave La Margarita behind.

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

July 17, 1704 - Aboard the Watch Dog

Between Seventh and eighth bell of First Watch

Mister Pew went abut the duties of thinning the arms among the watch until only a handful were guarding the ship fore and aft. The load of arms was heavy enough that Eric Franklin was employed in the carrying of them. William found Eric following the Master-At-Arms and promoted him to Sergeant-at-Arms on the spot, a position that had been discussed repeatedly but never filled. It was good that Mister Pew had a second upon which he could rely and Eric had ever been vigilant in the performance of his duties, his sometimes temper not withstanding. He was very taken aback by the added title, even though he had shouldered many of the responsibilities of it before. Though the definition of the name varied in many quarters, William decided it would do aboard the Watch Dog and so the promotion was sealed with a somewhat baffled 'Aye-aye' from Mister Franklin.

Mister Pew gave him a hearty congratulations which flustered the man a little. He was further flustered as William reminded him that he should move his dunnage to the quarters meant for him and the Master-at-Arms. It was then that Eric realized he would be set above the other able seamen a little and only then did he realize that promotion is a two edged sword of respect and loss. The evolution of duty often follows some sacrifice of previous associations.

As Captain, William understood this. Still, the Watch Dog was not heavily peopled and the distance between one man's duties and another's were not so great as to create wide gulfs. The crew had a strong fellowship made up of many loyalties. They were often of one mind, and now that they were leaving La Margarita, the same relieved and happy emotions to be to sea showed in every face, no matter how tired.

Tudor had spent the last hour wandering the levels of the ship, trying to shut off her wandering mind. It wasn't until near to midnight when her path lead her onto the gun decks. Looking around, taking in every small detail of her surrondings, she started when something seemed out of place . . . it took her a moment, but she finally realised what was giving her pause. Slumped over between two of the 18-pounders, was a small, shabby figure. Tudor smiled when she recognised her stray.

"Callie . . . Callie!" She said, shaking the young girl gently to wake her. "Wake up!"