PA Ren Faire Pyrate weekend

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did anyone else go on Saturday of Pirate Weekend and try to stay for the finale in song? I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the brown water followed by the early closing/free passes.

I was going to go back this weekend, but what with gas prices being what they are, I think I'll skip a week. Where's an electric car when I need one?

good to be finally able to put a face to the rogue mermaid ....a fine bunch of pyrate lasses there ladies!!! ....sorry between classes and working the southern ohio faire i won't be sailing into pa waters this faire season ....tough to have to sell one's services over one's pleasure perhaps next season :huh::huh::huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire REVIEW

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Well, now, me lads and I just got back from the PARF today, and I wanted ta be givin’ ye all a brief review o’ th’ Faire from our eyes.

First – weather – although they called for a chance of thundershowers, we lucked out and the day remained dry and in the low 70’s, with cloud cover – MUCH more enjoyable than other times we’ve spent in 95+ sunshine.

Food consumed – 2 turkey legs, 3 ice cream cones, wench fries, chicken fingers, sodas, waters, lemonades, one root beer float, and coffees – not much for 3 growing Pyrates, but we’d stopped for breakfast before the Faire and would stop for dinner afterwards.

Shows attended – unfortunately I missed the wench auction and pyrate rumble (grrr) but me boys saw the rumble and said it was great. We did catch 2 shows of Empty Hats and the final joust. We also sat in on the falconry lecture – very educational, and the birds were magnificent. Most of the rest of our time was spent running around like 3 loonies from Bedlam…

Items bought – kind of disappointing here – Anthony had saved a large amount of money to be able to buy some SCA-approved armor here today, but everything was either sub-standard or WAY too expensive ($500 for an el cheapo chainmail shirt?!?). Not many dealers of armor, and the few there were had little stock, preferring instead to clamor for custom orders. Anthony did pick up 2 throwing knives at LaForge and some miniatures (bargain-priced) at the bookstore; I picked up a few small trinkets at the Pirate Shop and a skull bracelet with alligator teeth from a dealer hailing from New Orleans, but I found neither saber nor cavalier hat of sufficient quality at the Faire that I was looking for; Mike didn’t buy anything, but did enjoy himself in the Medieval Games section. So much for stimulating the economy…

A side note here on LaForge’s ID rigmarole - they not only don’t let “under 18”’s touch any weapons; they also demand a driver’s license from 47-year old martial arts instructors when purchasing 2 small throwing knives for said under-18’s. GRRRRR…in true Pyrate fashion, I talked my way out of needing to show it…they also duct-taped the two boxes together for security as we left the counter, but neglected to tape the box ENDS…fools…

Best Schticks of the Day – my rubber rat sitting atop an 8” apple pie – I carried him around for the first 2 hours, and when folks would exclaim “rat pie”, I would correct them with “No, - Pie-rat” (Pyrate? Pie-rat?)

OK, I know – but it brought the most smiles and groans of the day!

Also, Anthony’s portrayal of Guinevere during an early-morning street improv was classic, with his wearing of the lady’s scarf, comical impressions of the weeping princess, and his climactic death scene. Well done, lad!

Finally, probably the most FUN schtick was going to Friendly’s after Faire for dinner in full garb…(”WHAT “fair”? WHAT “costume”?” brought looks of dismay from the staff). Our waitress was wonderful, and she received, in addition to a healthy tip, several gold doubloons and a small skull as a thank you for being such a good sport. She DID, regretfully, only briefly consider my marriage proposal (upon my learning that she had a REAL macaw at home)…said something about the boyfriend having to OK it or some such nonsense…

Folks Met – Lord and Lady Snow; Kat and her friend Chris (he’s a keeper, dear!); Mercenary Wench; Giacomo from Empty Hats; Daniel, working for the Imaginarium and from the Philly area, who hopes to find his way to the forum now I’ve told him about it (an authentic pre-GAoP pirate!); our beautiful and talented director from EMMF; and two other members of the EMMF cast, Lady Fiona and Phil (Happy anniversary, guys, and happy birthday, Phil!). We only got the opportunity to wave to several other acquaintances – our Lords and Masters from Impact Jousters, and Toy#2 from EMMF (long story).

If I wasn’t a monk, I would have done my best to woo Merc right there in the lanes…it was a pleasure meeting another Pubbie, especially such a pretty and spirited one. Thank you, m’lady Merc…may all your sales be large ones!

Impressions: Patrons today were sluggish, lacked energy and spirit. VERY FEW in garb – mostly shorts and T’s…and of course the obligatory Goth models…grrr…during shows, patrons sat on their hands; during improvs, they simply walked away with gloomy faces. Come ON, people – wake up and enjoy!

It wasn’t just my impression, either; my two lads, in addition to many PARF cast members and friends said the same. Sigh…

Wench Rating: Poor wench rating this time for PARF. Since so few patrons were garbed, this rating is based solely on cast members. A few wenches stood out admirably (!), but most were definitely dressed down…double sigh…

The belly dancers were a bright spot on a gloomy day, but my lads seemed to find something or other pulling them away every time the dancers were within my sweaty grasp, so this author can offer no detailed description other than a few stolen glimpses of pulsating flesh and the sound of multiple “Yip”’s floating in the early autumn air….

On the PyratePhil Wench-O-Meter scale of 1 – 10, I give Sunday’s PARF a:

Overall: Kind of an “eh” day; not much spirit or by-play going on in the lanes; had trouble getting into and staying in character because of the lack of playtrons. Hope the next few weeks prove better for PARF and that this was just a freak bump in the graph.

That being said, ‘tis better to have gone to PARF and been slightly disappointed, than to never have gone to PARF at all. God save the Queen!

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

that sounds just about like my day, 'cept it was hot, sunny, the people were *slightly* happier, and of course i didnt go to watch the bellydancing. but who was doing the jack sparrow impersonation? got a good pic of him... you can get very good ones of him when the words 'hey sexy' is yelled right before taking it.

I don't know his name, but he was a damn good Jack! :lol:

And the only pix we got, Rummy, were a few stiffly posed ones of me and boys in front of the joust field - mainly, my son (whose camera it was) was taking pics of Empty Hats - fast becoming his fave group.

If I get them, I'll post them here.

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

alright, next time i'll actually wear a pub button. how long is shipping on those things?

I'll be back for more faire either the 23 or the 30. this was actually my first REAL faire, and i :( LOVED :( it! I am definitely going to save up for a season pass next year (i can DRIVE meself too!!!)

wish i could work there...

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I'll be goin to the faire on Oct 16th with my wife. I plan on beating down the gates at 10am and staggering out when they close. I'll be wearing black knee high boots, red pants, linen shirt, black corduroy doublet and a black silk bandana. I may be wearing a small dagger on my belt. Note to self: Purchase cutlass soon.

If anyone would like to meet up for a few hours of drunken revelry, let's pick a time and place. Noon at Cap'n Shucks?

Fair winds!

Reynard

:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it certainly has been a long time since I was last in the pub! Anyway, I was at the faire this past Sunday. Even after several trips this season, I'm still catching groups and acts that I hadn't seen before. This week's finds were Bells & Motley, and Coyote Run. Unfortunately, by the time I got to Coyote Run (their last show of the day), I was out of both batteries and money, so I was only able to get one photo of the group performing and I couldn't buy any CDs. I thought I caught a glimpse of a pyracy pub pin on a lady with a cloak and a red hat, but I wasn't sure and didn't want to intrude.

I had lots of fun, and I hope to get back there for the final weekend. I might even go next weekend, but then again, with gas prices creeping back down again I might actually make the long haul down to MDRF, which I have never been to yet. We'll have to see.