Pirate Boots

Planksheer

I'm just getting started in pirate reenacting, and am in the process of putting together an outfit. Just about got it all together, but I'm undecided about footware. Can't decide whether to go with bucket boots or buckle shoes. Has anyone done any research into this matter? Did pirates actually wear bucket boots or is that mostly a product of fiction?

Granted, boots look sexy as all get out, but they tend to slow a body down, and my modern sailing experience tells me that this type of footware would be highly impractical while hauling on the ropes on a rolling deck or climbing the rigging, where agile footwork can mean the difference between staying upright and a potentially fatal tumble.

I was informed during a brief encounter with English Civil War reenacting several years ago that bucket boots were intended primarily to give a person stability in the legs and ankles while on horseback, and weren't worn for walking more than a short distance. Having seen an original pair of bucket boots, I can see why. Just imagine trying to walk in ski boots that come up to your knee!

Seems like the wearing of boots would have been limited mostly to drinking and wenching sessions on shore.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Planksheer :P

Guest Cap'n Grey

I be partin' with some custom-made boots that be good for ye large-sized shipmates.

These boots were custom made for me 2 years ago but I've since lost weight and they no longer fit. They were worn once.

Size: Men's 8-9 Women's 10-11

Calf: measures over 19 inches around

They're very soft and slide on and off easily. The width is probably a DD, they are VERY wide. They were originally intended for a Han Solo outfit but they could make nice pirate boots.

They can be found on e-Bay: Custom Made Black Boots