New boat launched

Fox

Last weekend saw the launch of the Bonaventure skiff at the South West Pirate Festival at Morwellham, Devon. The skiff is 20' long and has a crew of 2-9. At present her motive power is provided by four oars but by the end of the year I hope to have added a main- and fore-sail, and possibly more oars. The skiff represents nearly 5 years of research and 1 year of building.

At SWPF 2005 her crew behaved well and Bonaventure can now claim to be the only post-dark age UK re-enactment group to own and operate a waterborne vessel. We can also claim to be the first group to have properly re-enacted a boat-to-ship boarding action (we were the first to orchestrate a ship-to-ship boarding re-enactment four years ago).

The skiff will be seen at other events later in the year, and in subsequent seasons.

boat3SWPF.jpg

Rowing into the great dock

boat4SWPF.jpg

Permission to hook on? Don't be so soft!

boat5SWPF.jpg

Boarders Away!

This may be in the wrong forum, Mods feel free to move it. Since there doesn't appear to be a "announce the launch of your new replica vessel" forum, and since I've seen other threads about replica vessels here I thought I'd post in Captain Twill. :D

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

That ! Is really cool., way to go! Please DO POST with the masts as well., but it is a good looking vessel., the the cut outs for the Oars look like their for cannon!

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Now THAT is mighty sweet, Foxe! Thanks for posting. One thing that it illustrates remarkably well is just how much of a sitting duck small boat boarders could be if they lost the element of surprise before getting safely on deck. One blunderbuss aimed over the side at point blank range and you're shark food.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Thanks guys! :P

Actually, during that skirmish most of the crew of the Garlandstone were ashore trying to defend their ship from the other half of my two pronged attack (you can see their feet in the first picture). The two defenders fired their hailshot piece at us, missed, a big bank and a spray of water came up from the adjacent bank (salute to the pyrotechnic fellas), and they ran away in the teeth of our attack. Their shipmates filed back on board pressed at the stern by us and on the starboard side by boarders from the land. After a brief but bloody fight they surrendered the ship, Hurrah :P

But, you're right Josh, if they'd really tried to stop us we wouldn't have stood a chance. As it was I learned a very important lesson; just how confusing it is to board a ship. I'd been sitting in the boat with them a minute previously but by the time I made it into the fight that was going on on the deck of the Garlandstone I had absolutely no idea who I was supposed to be fighting. I suddenly appreciated the worth of field signs. :blink:

As well as the mast there are also plans afoot for a bow-mounted swivel gun...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...