Report on Southern Faire

Ok, here's my report on S. Faire.

The only Security our small group saw the whole time was OUTSIDE the faire, not inside.

People were walking around partaking in their favorite drink, flasks also, especially since there is a booth selling flasks.

What I liked: Nice trees, shade for most areas, the Santa Fe Dam made for a nice backdrop. Was really impressed for the vendors who had virtually little time to get a booth put together, to make the faire look good. The Friends of Faire area was extremely spacious and looked comfortable, a few new food booths that I hadn't seen before at that faire (who would have thought to put frozen chocolate dipped cheesecake on a stick? Amazing). There were lots of people, and plenty in pirate costume. The funny thing was, there were no people of the faire engaging guests with fun, but the pirates sure were. I saw a few even entertaining the guests with their antics. In fact I was asked to have my picture taken several times, along with my co-hort, Boats. Hmmm, the only thing that I was wearing that gave away my pirate persona was my hat. The rest, including my sunglasses were just not what I usually wear.

What I didn't like: The lack of vendors. There were less than 160 various vendors, games, and food. In the past this was the place that overflowed with vendors- well into the 300 range. The items for sale at all booths seemed to be somewhat lacking - I was told many were cleaned out the first weekend, leaving not much left. That's not good business, as it's clear the vendors didn't have much stock to begin with.

The food court area, while wonderfully large, had only a few hay bales around the few trees in the area. No shade provided overhead for people to eat comfortably on the grass if they had wanted to.

I found out from Michael Foster, the head of the Military groups (I've known Michael for many years), told me the real problem was there was no camping allowed for anyone. So everyone, including vendors had to drive home every night, and then come back the next day. Some of these people live really far away! Because of this problem, many vendors opted not to do the faire, and Michael told me they lost over half their personal for the Military groups because of this problem.

According to Michael, the budget was cut so drastically for the Santa Fe Dam recreation area, that it was thought by having the faire there, it would help with their budget crisis. Well charging $7.00 a car to get in to park I'm sure helped.

It is unknown at this time whether the faire will be there next year. If it is, as Michael said, things had better change, including allowing camping.

Otherwise people are just going to balk and not do it.

I took pictures, so as soon as I download them and see what they look like, I'll post them if they are any good.

Rumba Rue

** :lol: **

I was a little sceptical, with what I heard from all the nay sayers, but I had a blast this last sunday. I went went with about 10 people all dressed. When we first got there somebody told one of my friends that you could only drink in the beer gardens. Not True. There arn't any beer gardens, the whole fair is one big beer garden. You could walk around with your tankard full with ale. I think I only saw one group of police officers. They wern't checking mugs or anything, good thing for me. They are just there to make sure nobody gets stupid. The place seemed to be pretty big, I kept getting lost. The only thing I noticed was that there wern't that many people dressed up. I am definatly going again. At least once more before it closes this year. :D

Petee-2.jpg