Question on Faires and Such

My son brought up an interesting question the other day, one which I wasn't able to answer, so I hope someone here has some info.

Is there any Faire or Festival in the US that is exclusively, or even partially, devoted to Oriental subjects? What I'm envisioning is the fair-goers dressed in samurai, emperor, monk, ninja-type outfits, oriental food and wares being offered by merchants, demos of calligraphy, No plays, martial arts, etc., etc...

Probably not a large enough interest level, eh?

It just seems that all the Faires are devoted to European themes...

And Mods - if this is in the wrong place - apologies - feel free to move it.

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

:lol: never really thought about it. has he tried doing a google search for oriental fairs? just a thought. :lol:

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

Within the last couple of years I've been seeing more and more people dressing in outfits other than the garb usually worn at faires. There are a couple who have gone to the Oriental look, with the peaked straw hats, the wooden shoes, kimonos, and the appropriete weaponry.

I've also seen African, Indian, and lots of others represented. Most of the uninformed public, only usually think of the English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian as the people of the time.

I think its wonderful to see such a great representation of other cultures at Ren-faires.

So I say Phil, if you want to go the direction of the Asian look, go for it!

I don't know if there are events like faires around, but hey, cruise the Internet, you'll never know what you'll find. And there certianly were Chinese pirates! :lol:

Rumba

** :lol: **

Check your local area for Chinese New Year's celebrations, Vietnamese Tet Festivals or Cherry Blossom Festivals. Those are a few of the Asian Faires in the SF Bay Area. There're more, but I can't think of the names offhand.

--Rich

Sig.jpg

Thanks for the ideas, folks. It just hit me like a ton of bricks when my son mentioned it - here I am, 35 years in the Oriental arts, and never thought to put it in context with Ren Faires or pyrates. :huh:

Salmagundi - aye, I'm a regular at the Chinese New Year festivals in NY - but it just isn't the same LOL.

My son is into this stuff through me, of course - heavily into the entire Taoist philosophy, but also loves RPG and card games, so he'd be a natural. Me? I wish now there were two of me, so I could go as both my regular pyrate character and an oriental one. :huh:

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

Why not try to orginize a small oriental fair localy ? Find the local S.C.A. group, see if they wanna play, get some of the Martial Arts schools to put on demos, and check around at some restaurants see it they might be interested.

Start your own..... (it would be a lot of work, but that is how things like Renn. Faires get started......

Atlanta has a great Japan fest. I went a couple of years ago and it was fun. I'm sure there's a website. They have it at Stone Mountain.

Although it was mainly traditional Japanese culture like kimono exhibit, dancing and stuff like that there was several martial arts represented.

My son was there with a group demonstrating Shikendo (the metal Samurai swords).

Hope this is helpful!

Long Live the crew of the CrimsonPermanent Assurance!