Costume Wins for Rumba Rue and Capt. Grey!

Rumba Rue

Yesterday I met up with Capt. Grey, down in Mission Valley (San Diego) for the sci-fi con, ConDor.

She was manning the San Diego Star Wars Society table, so I kept her company off and on during the day, as we chatted away with each other and others who stopped by to say hi.

We found out we were both doing the Costume Contest later on in the evening.

She wore her beautiful grey frock coat she made and I wore my frock coat with all the beadwork that took me 6 months to make.

While backstage looking at some of the other nifty costumes, we looked at each other and decided we were just in it for the fun, not expecting to win anything.

Sue Dawe (yes that famous artist who is also a good friend of Capt. Grey's and mine) was doing the MCing for the night.

I don't know quite what Capt. Grey did on stage, I'll let her tell you about her bit and her win.

Anyways, the theme of my costume was the "Latest Fashion Trend".

While I was on stage showing off my outfit just like you see models do, the following was read by Sue:

The latest fashion trend is the frock coat.

While there are many styles of frock coats, here we show an elegant design perfect for those discriminating tastes that may range from Royalty to Rogues.

The beadwork is hand sewn on and the trim (came from a vessel that was recently raided and sunk by Privateers) are eye-catching details that a good person of expertise will recognize.

(here I took off the coat)

Along with this exquisite coat is a matching waistcoat, perfect for a more relaxed look while having tea.

A fine pair of black breeches completes the look. Oh and let's not forget the red satin ties (tied at the bottom of the pant leg),

are sure to be a big hit and gain favor of any gentleman or woman and of course the well dressed pirate will be equally pleased.

We look forward to seeing more of these fashionable outfits in the coming season. This presentation has been brought to you by the House of Bloody Buckets.

I can tell you I elicted quite a few laughs at what was being read, and the audiance really loved the last line. It was funny because Capt. Grey and I knew it was an inside joke, the audience thought it was just a funny line - course there may have been some in the audiance who come here to post at the Pub who might have caught the inside joke as well.

In the end, I won for Best Presentation. I got a really cool trophy award, it looks like glass but it's really plastic and has the ConDor logo and 2005 Masqurade, Best Presentation on it.

I walked around afterwards hugging it like precious treasure -well it was!

I forgot to bring a camera, so when I got home I had Boats take some pictures, but they didn't come out very good.

The ones that were taken at the Con aren't up on their website as of this post, but may be later.

In any case here's where you can see pictures of the outfit after I finished it. Beaded Frock Coat

Rumba Rue

**Life is what you make it, so make it happy!** :lol:

:lol: WOW! way to go! the beadwork is so nice. i can't even imagine sewing on all those beads! :lol:

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

CONGRATULATIONS!

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Congrats, lass! :lol: A well deserved win, fer true!

Privateer & Commander of "Finnegan's Wake"

Faodaidh fearg sealltainn a strigh air cridh an duine ghlic, ach comhnaichdh i an amadain.

(Anger may look in on a wise man's heart, but it abides in the heart of a fool.)

She did deserve to win; it's a beautiful coat and the time and skill doing the beadwork really shows.

As Rumba said, we were there for fun. When my turn came to be onstage, I stormed up the steps and started my "pirate talk". I made the audience raise their right hands and swear an oath to talk like a pirate on "International Talk Like A Pirate Day".

It was just some shtick, but I was loud and boisterous and they could clearly hear me in the back row (no microphones, it's a small event). The judges made a special prize category for me: Most Enthusiastic Presentation By A Single Entry. :lol:

I won a four-day pass to one of the biggest conventions here in San Diego: Comic-Con.

Us pirate lasses plundered well.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Congratulations ladies--ye done good. :lol:

Beautiful work on th coat.

And gettin the judges to make a new category--wow!

WELL DONE! :lol:

Never give up--Never surrender!

Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Live while yer alive--an' when yore dead be done with it!

Well if you can't dazzle them with brillance - baffle them with bullsh*t.

In true "Blazing Saddles" fashion, I had the audience repeat "I....your name" and they surely did. :huh:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.