Trafalgar

capnwilliam

• 4 weeks later...

There are loads of celebrations going on for Trafalgar.

The largest will be the Victory Arena part of the International Festival of the Sea, to be held at Portsmouth June 30th - July 3rd. In the shadow of HMS Victory 3 replica ships of the Nelsonian period are being moored and the whole of that part of the dockyard is being fitted out to look like the eve of departure for Trafalgar. IFOS is the world's biggest maritime festival - bar none - and this year the whole thing is a celebration of Trafalgar.

All around the country smaller celebrations are taking place at different times of the year. On July 10th for example Bicester is holding a celebration day, Morpeth held its annual "Gathering" earlier this month and themed it this year in honour of Admiral Collingwood, Sheerness is having a Trafalgar celebration in early October (Sheerness is where HMS Victory was moored after the battle), and there is an event on in London to commemorate Nelson's funeral later in the year too. I'm sure there are many other small events taking place which I don't know about myself - at Nelson's birthplace for example.

Perhaps the most important event of the year (though not the biggest) will be the decommissioning of HMS Victory after 240 years Royal Navy service.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

What you wanna do is join the US Navy, request to be posted to whichever of their vessels is attending IFOS and you'll get over for free, and a wage packet to boot. Sometime in August make a pass at the Captain and you'll get kicked out. No problems.

I think IFOS this year is probably going to be the most fantastic maritime event in the world. I'll be there, and I'll gladly post a load of photos to the board for my colonial cousins. :lol:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Arrr.....Foxe, ye be a good man fer postin' the info o' the great upcomin' eventage....ye says ye'll be there,...... mesel' an' me crew will be attendin' also...perchance an' ale shared wi' good mates o' the pub mighten' be in order sah?.....what say you?. :lol:

Cap'n o' the JADES RISC'S @ anchorage at the port o' Cardiff, Wales, Uk.

Piratesig1.jpg

I say...

We'll be in the Victory Arena during the day and in one of the bars in Anchor Lane in the evenings and I'd be glad to welcome you to our table sir. :lol::lol::lol:

What part are you playing in the proceedings?

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

The part of the welsh pyrate Cap'n......bimblin' around, quite possibly filled t' the gunnels wi' ale sah..... ;) ....we'll just be spectatin' (in grab o' course)... as we still got t' meets the likes o' the ren folk hereabouts fer fun an' frolicks......we could have sailed 'round ifin it naught fer repairs..(an' dock side parkin' on that weekend 's gonna be murder....aye.....murder says I.....).

I'll flags ye nearer the time mate.......s'gonna be grand. ;););)

Piratesig1.jpg

If you want to meet other UK piratey people may I suggest a visit to the South West Pirate Festival at Morwellham Quay near Tavistock this weekend (Sat-Mon)? Most (if not all) of the pirate groups in the UK will be represented there. :huh:

If you can't make it I'd be able to put you in touch with a pirate group based at Tewkesbury - I think they're the closest to Cardiff. Cardiff used to have a pirate crew but they disbanded.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Nice one mate..Info on the nearest crew would be good aye..pm me ifin' ye'd wants mate....thank 'e....Cardiff crew disbanded ye say!....arrested more like...harr harrr...well ifin' there be none here, best I starts one eh?......can't have the land o' morgan be wi'out crew aye..... :huh:

Piratesig1.jpg