Bratz Treasures

Mission

I was watching my favorite cable channel (Cartoon Network, natch. :blink: ) and I saw an advert for a new line of Bratz dolls called Bratz Treasures. Apparently piracy has finally graduated from the realm of die hard re-enactors and 8 year old boys to the realm of Tweener girls. Or maybe it's just that Orlando Bloom and Gwen Stefani have done turns as pirates and the impressionable idol-worshipping crowd's interest has been caught.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Pirates going from figures of respect and fear, to the anatomically impared life of a Bratz doll . . . .

While I agree with you, this trend is rampant and long-standing. Witness:

womenj2.jpg

This from the post on pirate figures...

Patently ridiculous things like this:

00046823_000.jpg

The mermaid grasping a pirate flag from www.faeryshop.com (which is closed or I'd link to it).

Jenna Jameson, Alex Dane, Asia Carrera and Gwen Stefani and crew as pirates (from various posts on this board)

This female pirate in fishnet and corset nonsense goes back even further than that. You can trace it all the way back to bare-chested piratess images from the 17th or 18th century!

AnneBonny.JPG

I could go on and on, but that threatens to overstate my point. Prurient images of anatomically impossible female pirates definitely pre-dates the Bratz dolls.

______

"May I request something to wear, or will it be bare breasts and ankles all the way?"

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I saw those at Walmart last week. They spelled Rogue wrong on the packaging. (It says "Rouge Vogue") I agree that they are silly but on the high point they giving more umph to the pirate craze. Would you rather your preteen play with American Idol Barbie or a Pirate Bratz? But on the other hand, is that how we want pirates portrayed? Sometimes ya just can't win. :ph34r:

I could go on and on, but that threatens to overstate my point. Prurient images of anatomically impossible female pirates definitely pre-dates the Bratz dolls.

Well, obviously you haven't been privy to my treasures. :ph34r:

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Aye, trends be the death of this world. Just be seein the kids in me school I see a little wanna be of someone else in lmost evryona them rogues. Hopefully Bratz aren't tht popular and it will pass as others gone n done.

The Youngest buccaneer ever to sail the Seven Seas (or just me neighboorhood)

Actually Bratz dolls are very popular and are taking over Barbie to some extent. I work for Toys R Us and We get more Bratz through the line than Barbie.

However some moms don't like the dolls and call them slutty. I did buy the Yasmin doll and have her sitting on my monitor.

Sorry guys but looks like Bratz are here to stay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

["May I request something to wear, or will it be bare breasts and ankles all the way?"

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Depends on which way the wind is blowing . (sigh)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Oho! Someone in the crew has surplanted Barbossa in Bess' affections! This is the second such reference I've seen... At least he has a really good sense of humor from the voiceovers. (He may be worthy of you. :lol: )

Mattel has done some fancy footwork with Barbie to try and keep her current with the Bratz line. Bratz were definitely eating Barbie's lunch from what I read in the WSJ a year ago. However, I agree that they look slutty. (That was sort of my point above. If I had a point...)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Oho! Someone in the crew has surplanted Barbossa in Bess' affections! This is the second such reference I've seen... At least he has a really good sense of humor from the voiceovers. (He may be worthy of you. :lol: )

Nothing of the sort...

I speak only from delightful experience.

If you've never bared your breasts and ankles on board a ship at full sail then.... Well, you've no way of undertsnading. :)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I speak only from delightful experience.

If you've never bared your breasts and ankles on board a ship at full sail then.... Well, you've no way of undertsnading. :)

But I have! Nothing but jams and flip flops...(have to protect my diabetic feet, see...) It really wasn't that much better than with shirt and socks as I recall. Just a little cooler.

I once stood at the stern of a boat going from Fort Jefferson to Stock Island as it plowed through mighty waves and wind while kicking up a tremendous sea spray. It was too cool for no shoes, no shirt, no problems... but what a trip! (I was coated in salt by the end of it.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

I hate Bratz... But wow! The pirates can drive the Mini Cooper to the Sushi Bar and sing on the karaoke stage!

I hate mall pirates.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

Sexy Bratz, Malls, Mini-Coopers and Karaoke...

Don't you see...? It's Gwen Stefani we have to blame for this! :huh:

Mission_banner5.JPG

I think it's those pretty boys Depp and Bloom.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

True Barbie has come up with the my Scene dolls and even introduced the Cali girl barbie with much nicer hair but the feet are ugly. However they are coconut scented.

and as for Bratz being slutty look at Barbie and Ken who are now divorced and she is with River or whatever his name is..What kind of message does that send to kids?

Either way I think both sets of dolls have problems.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

and as for Bratz being slutty look at Barbie and Ken who are now divorced and she is with River or whatever his name is..What kind of message does that send to kids?

:lol: barbie and ken never married that i knew of, were just steadies since i was a kid. midge got married and had children, but the moral vocal bunch voted the pregnant, married midge off the shelves. go figure. :)

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

And whatever happened to the Skipper doll.... you twisted her arm around once, and she grew breast..... I wanted to get one of those and see what happened it you twisted her arm two or three more times.... :huh: (hey the thing came out when I was going throug puberty..... inquisitive guy mind and all......)

And whatever happened to the Skipper doll.... you twisted her arm around once, and she grew breast..... I wanted to get one of those and see what happened it you twisted her arm two or three more times....

You broke her. From my examination of the device, it was just a plastic plate and a little off-center round thing. (My sister had one of these.)

Mission_banner5.JPG