Pirate clothes for a lass

I'm a 17 year old girl who's recently become interested in the Renaissance ira, and I'd like some authentic clothing. Though female pirates were rare (and those who were just wore men's clothing,) I'm really a pirate at heart, so that's where I'm heading. I think my issue is going to be money, because I don't have a lot..

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

well lass, welcome aboard!

first off, i make almost all me 'n me lass's garb, weather it be pirate, viking, or wutnot. i've handsewn leather britches for myself, and made a coupla bodices for me lass, there isn't really that much to it....what you need to do is get yerself access to a sweing machine (and have a lil patience), cause handsewing takes a LONG time, believe me. Practice small, and with small patterns first, then start on simple things, like shirts.

As far as patterns for the garb, wallmart, jo annes fabric, and hobby lobby have a decent variety of patterns and cloth fer wut ye be looking for....start off small....ye'll get the hang o' it in no tyme!

Good luck lass! :huh:

Artemis Pepper

Purveyor of fyne plundar since 1605!

Welcome aboard. Go to the fabric store and take a look at all the patterns. Pattern companies have come out with historical patterns (of a sort). See if you know anyone that sews and maybe they could help you out. They may even be able to teach you, if you don't know how to already. I've been sewing for a number of years now and still am learning how to do things.

Sometimes you can throw some outfits together with the styles that are out now. Be creative, have fun.

Mad Woman Cheryl

By Odin's mighty spear, I hereby snap and go berzerk!!!"

Problem is- I don't have enough time (with work and school) to learn to sew well. I think I may be able to convince my parents to help me out buying the clothes.. :blink: wohoo!

I was looking around and I really like this website: Crimson Gypsy Designs

I think as a basic outfit, I'd like a black bodice (like this: bodice2.jpg) to wear over a red blouse (Like this one: redchemise.jpg only in the thigh length which is 30 inches from the neckline- it would hit around my knees somewhere.)

What do you all think? I would be adding things to this, obviously, like a gun and knife belt, perhaps knee-highs and boots, headwear, and/or this long, full, black skirt that I have (either over or under the chemise.)

I'd like to be relatively authentic about it..

Thanks all!

Amanda

Red and black like this perhaps? See below...

POEClaireWithHearse.jpg

Mine was made by Becky Cristler. She does beautiful, high-quality work and the bodice/dress with a chemise is only $75. She's done quite a few dresses for wenches who pirate with us and every one of them has loved the results. I send everyone who asks about wench wear to her. She is great to work with! Every dress is custom tailored to the wenches measurements. They are very flattering and you can choose to reveal as much or as little above your bodice as you wish to.

You can email Becky at sunset_red7@yahoo.com

Here are a few more of Becky's dresses. You get to select the colors and fabrics and we have them all have a unique style-

Here is the same dress as above, but with a white chemise:

Claire-skit.JPG

Here is another in green:

BBVidonia.jpg

And another in purple:

BBBlackbeard-Selestia.jpg

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com