Writting A Film Score For A Pirate Film

DrewT86

(Excuse the long post but I believe it's all necessary information.)

The following was an email I sent to Cap'n Slappy and Ol' Chumbucket, Webmasters of the www.Talklikeapirate.com, in an attempt to find out more information about my current job. (I bolded and Italicized all the information relevant to my cause.)

(Read on)

"Gentlemen,

While searching for information about pirates and pirate lifestyles on the internet, I came across your extremely intriguing site. I would first like to say that I appreciate your thoroughness. It’s refreshing given the kind of search this has been for me. I especially found helpful your “Pirate Links” section. Most of all…the majority of your content is hilarious. Thanks for that. So if I may introduce myself and state my business. My name is Drew Taurisano and I’m a freshman double music major at college in Syracuse, New York. Within the next few years I hope to transfer and become a full-time film score major at another college. And now you might think to yourself, “He’s a music major, why is this kid bothering us?” Well, gentlemen, ‘ye not be the only matey’s that I be botherin’ tonight.’(I tried? Points there, eh?) Anyhow, the actual reason: as I mentioned before, yet, not as completely, I’m studying to further fine-tune my skills as a composer and become a full-time film score major and someday an actual film scorer. This unfortunately isn’t the type of job where you drop off an application at Universal Studios and then they call you for an interview. It, as I’m sure you could guess, is a painfully long process with hours upon hours of studying and lecture, where a great amount of talent is necessary….or maybe if you’re just a damn lucky man, you could fall into the job. I can only hope to claim the later. (I know...it’s still unclear why I’m contacting you.) Well about three days ago, I happened to be in one of those ‘right place, right time’ situations and I ran into a film major. This particular gentlemen is studying to become a writer/director and part of the requirements for his completion and graduation to go on is to write and direct a film. It’s a two-year process in college. By the second semester, the plot and script have been written, the cast is assembled and now it is time for the director to start thinking about the single most important aspect of the film, aside from a good story and dialogue; a film scorer is introduced into the mix and the process continues. (I apologize if I am boring you with this behind the scenes talk. I don’t mean to educate. Just to provide a good basis for my proposal to you and hopefully simultaneously convey the idea that I am dedicated and serious about my career and hope to be taken as seriously as possible.) I digress... He proposed to me the task of writing the score for his film. I was ecstatic. The answer to my dreams. Rarely does this ever happen to a student film scorer. Let alone a freshman with almost no credibility as to his film scoring skills behind him. I graciously accepted as I picked my jaw up off the floor and continued to inquire about the film. “It’s going to be a Pirate film!” he explained. “Oh joy! Oh rapture!” I replied…ok that’s not really how I replied but long story short, I got the job. I intend to take this as seriously as possible. It essentially is the start of my career. If I can do a fantastic job of this, no college could deny me. So I intend to explore every avenue and topic on pirates keeping within relevance to my contribution to the film, i.e. the music. We met briefly but so far I understand very little about the film. I may be incorrect in my assumptions but this is what I gather: There was a real woman pirate by the name of Moll Flanders. From what I gathered this story is mostly fictional but has some non-fiction in it. She has a child and is forced to kill him if she is to continue on her lifestyle. To prove that she killed him, she must cut off his hand. But instead of killing the baby she secretly smuggles the baby away to live with the only people she knows, other pirates. The child grows up to become a pirate himself and learns, if not falsely, that his mother had intended to have him killed and swears to seek revenge on her. The movie has amazing potential. The thematic material it has is endless. (To clarify: Thematic material being that of musical phrases that when heard, subconsciously stimulates the brain to associate the sound with certain characters, events, etc…such as the four note “bat-theme” that Danny Elfman used in Tim Burton’s Batman and Batman Returns to musically express Michael Keaton’s character, Batman.) The relationship of mother and son, the emotions of revenge, confusion and unconditional love…well, this is pirates we’re talking about so maybe not so much of the last one. Anyway, I truly think it’s a great concept for a film. I’m happy to be a part of it. To prove my enthusiasm I am asking for your help. I am embarrassed to admit to such accomplished pirates as yourselves ( ;) ) that the only knowledge I have of pirates is limited to the movie Pirates of the Caribbean. But of course at one point these were real people and this was a real culture. I think that to write a convincing score, a film scorer must know about what he is composing. This, gentlemen, is where I beg your help! Their culture escapes me. Online information is very broad and often not very detailed…at least the details I’m looking for. I would like some thematic material in my score to convey right away that this film is about pirates. To do that, I could first find out what kind of music pirates enjoyed/listened to/played or sung. What kind of music is related to pirates. And a much more vague question but something I’m sure you could answer. What am I overlooking? I am hoping that by emailing enough pirate enthusiasts one of you can tell me exactly what in the pirate culture would be helpful to know when thinking about a task such as mine: Making an audience subconsciously aware that this is a movie about pirates. I appreciate your concern in the matter gentlemen and would be privileged to receive back any information you may be able to contribute. Sincerely yours Drew"

Well, the dream is coming true and the film is rounding the corner to the scoring phase, finally. I have a meeting with the Director, Monday 3/7/05 at 6 PM EST, and we're going to go over Topics and Treatment.

To make sure I'm as prepared as possible I want to take Cap'n Slappy and Ol' Chumbucket's advice so:

The Real Purpose Of This Email... If anyone out there has information that can further enhance my search as described above it would be much appreciated!

Obviously I'm not as in tuned to Pirates as the majority of people on this site so why not ask the experts?!

Thanks in advance

~Drew

OK, forgive me if I come across as a long-winded pretentious pedant.

First of all Moll Flanders was not a real pirate, or a fictional one. She was a fictional character created by Daniel Defoe in his novel of that name, but she was a gentlewoman of fortune, not a pirate. At least two film versions already exist, one starring Robin Wright-Pennas Moll, and the other a (superior in my opinion) TV version starring Alex Kingston.

Second, there is a world of difference between finding authentic pirate music and finding music which the general viewing public would recognise as piratical. I can help with the former, but the latter is where you need to shine yourself. May I suggest as research material for the latter that you watch the movies "Cutthroat Island" and "Treasure Island" (the Charlton Heston version). TI particularly has a fantastic score.

In terms of authentic pirate music there are a decent number of sea-songs from the period which would almost certainly have been popular amongst all seafarers, including pirates. There are also a very small number of songs which we know come from the right period which are about pirates. They were not necessarily any more popular amongst pirates than the others, but would lend a certain piratical feel. You might like to check out:

Ward the Pirate

The Ballad of Captain Kidd

One version of High Barbaree probably dates to the 1680s

Henry Martin

In addition I have two sets of words for period songs about Henry Avery, but no tune for either.

For general period sea-songs you might start with :

The Golden Vanity

Maid of Amsterdam (only probably period - good tune though)

Admiral Benbow (one version)

Come Loose Every Sail to the Breeze

A Soldier and a Sailor

I also have a whole mass of period songs available, some with and some without tunes. If you could let me know what kind of thing you'd be looking for I can post more here. In the meantime, one of my favourites:

The Whetstones Park Privateer

Being a true relation how a small Pickaroon lately sail'd from the park, and Cruising abroad in the Night seiz'd on a rich merchant-man, whom she tempted to board her, and then she disabl'd his ship, took all his Cargo, spoil'd his tackle and burned his rudder. - To the tune of Capt. Digby's Farewell, broadsheet 1696

The Jenny a small Pickaroon in the Park

Last night went a Cruising in the dark,

Her impudence was her commander in chief,

Her haven is Luff, and her Pilot a Thief:

As swift as a fish she did glide by the Strand,

well rigg'd and well trim'd but she lackt to be man'd

In her mouth a whole teer of Damme's there lies,

Granadoes were shot out of her rowling eyes.

The ruffling silk of her Petticoat Sails

The wind had full blown with it's wantoning gales

That wind which their meeting with contrary wind

Some times doth create hurricane behind:

Carren'd and new painted most curiously,

Her uppermost Deck did appear to the eye,

The curls of her Tower so like streamers do wave

Men of War to engage her they seem for to brave.

But look on her Stern, she's right for the trade,

Her lading betwixt wind and water was laid,

A Loofm and a Loof and most steady she steard,

Yet often to alter her courses apear'd,

To Star-board and Lar-board, a baft and before

She glances an eye and she creeps by the shore,

To look what unconvoyed Vessels there came,

That might help to add to her pilfering game.

At length from her main-top she gladly espies

A merchant-man far a head passing her by,

Oy'e straight was he, and ready to sinck,

His Hull was so much over-sowed with drink

She strait makes all Sails she was able, and plies

Her Oars to come up to so welcome a prize,

Though's head was so light, she was lighter than he

And had in an instant brought him by the Lee.

Her mobled hood she turn'd for a flag,

Sometimes she shears off & sometimes she doth lag

She hauld him with bums, but the dulpated Owl,

Would not understand her, unless she fell foul:

At last a salute with a Gun, in the poures,

Your serrvant she cry'd and he answering yours:

She boldly bore up, and for sometime they ride,

Yard-arm to Yard-arm, and each side by side.

The battle between them now warmer was grown,

And the grapling Irons were mutually thrown,

She gave him her broad-side of kisses so strong,

There was no hope left of his holding out long:

Yet on her design better colour to lay,

She pretended to tack, as if stearing away,

Then seemingly disabled to bear up again,

She offers her self unto him to be tane.

He sees her lye by, and then grows the more bold,

To venture abord, and to rumidge her hold,

She freely receives him asterrn and invites,

Him for to taste of her Cabin delights:

From prow unto poop he did grope her all o're,

And finding her Gun to be full Cannon bore,

For his Amunition he swore was at large,

And threatned to give her forthwith a due charge,

She flung off her Gloves as a flag of defiance,

And scorned to acept of his terms of complyance,

Come bully, quoth she, I will stand thy fierce shot

For already I've taken full many a knock,

With that below Deck then he thundred in,

And she to tumble and toss did begin,

As if that a tempest had rocked her pillow,

And danced her vessel aloft on a billow.

A calm then succeeded this storming her honour,

He soon had unladed his Cargo upon her,

Before hand he gave her his contracted Guinies,

And thought he ne'r sailed in so pleasant a Pinnace,

But quickly that fancy he curst when he found,

How damnable deep she had run him on ground,

For just in the hurry and heat of the job,

He ransackt Placket, she rifled his Fob.

With Watch, Gold and jewels she slipt out of door

Poor Voyager ne'r was so jilted before,

His Cargo was lost, and his main-mast was torn

His Tacklings she spoil'd, and his Rudder did burn

Hence learn you young gallants that venture to sea

The danger of such Pickaroons for to see,

For vessels rich guilded with proud Silken Sails,

Oft fireships do prove & bear death in their tails

;)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

...there is a world of difference between finding authentic pirate music and finding music which the general viewing public would recognise as piratical.

Yes, this basically echos my thoughts from your first posting of this in the Beyond Piracy forum. You have to give people something they can latch on to. (It may not necessarily have to be exactly what they expect, but if you go too far afield, many people will be very put off by your score. Listen to the awful score for Goldeneye for an example of going off the edge of the map, mate.)

I was pretty sure Foxe would have some wise words on this topic. Even if they are long-winded, pretentious and pendantic. ;)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

To do that, I could first find out what kind of music pirates enjoyed/listened to/played or sung. What kind of music is related to pirates.

There's nothing unique to pirates that wasn't common among all seamen of the time. They were a niche of people that were in constant flux between piracy/merchant/naval/privateering/fishing, etc. Anything that was normal for a sailor of the time would be normal for pirates. They played the same instruments, sang the same songs, wore the same clothes as the rest of the maritime world. So if you broaden your search to music from 1680-1730 I think you'll have a lot more to work with.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Thankyou Mission for that vote of confidence ;)

Now, if you expand your search to include general music of the 1680-1730 period as opposed to specifically sea-songs then the choice is almost limitless. I've probably got a couple of thousand pages or more of music popular in that period sitting on shelves in my house, and that's just a fraction of what's available.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk