Virginia is for Pirates

Barbosa

Hello, Ive been a lurker here for the past several weeks and need some expertise from you all. I am leaving to visit Virginia next week and plan on getting down toward Williamsburg and Norfolk, are there any sites, etc that are worth going to? Is there anything at the location where Blackbeard's head was displayed? Any pirate graves? etc. Thank You.

Barbosa

Blackbeard's head was displayed at the intersection of the Hampton and James rivers on a bit of land that is still called "Blackbeard's Point"

When you visit Colonial Williamsburg, stop by the Raliegh Tavern. After Blackbeard's head was taken off the point, the skull was covered in silver and fashioned into the pedestle of a silver drinking vessel. It is no longer there, but you can down a pint and toast the ol' rogue there, while soaking up a bit of history!!

Outside of pirate history, Jamestown is another very interesting place to visit.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

I also found this...

The infamous pirate Blackbeard and his crew were known to frequent the shores along the bay and oceanfront in what is now First Landing State Park. The pirate band used the tall trees and sand dunes as lookout perches to watch for the white billowy sails of incoming or outgoing merchant ships. Because of the losses the colony sustained due to his piracy, Blackbeard was finally hunted down and beheaded off the Carolina coast by decree of Virginia's colonial governor.

Ocracoke island in NC might not be too far away. There in addition to the history is a pirate store called Teache's Hole. I'm sure they could point you in the direction of Blackbeard sites:

Teach's Hole

And Bath Town was another of Blackbeard's haunts.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

• 1 month later...