Apprently you've never been to Singapore

Red Maria

Passing a desk I say this book "A History of Singapore, 1819-1975" curious I preused it. Although it's about modern Saingapoer which was established on Jan. 30, 1819 (well after Capt. Jack's time) it does spend a little time on Singapore's pre-history. Apparantly in the 14th century it was a pirate haven!

Back then it was called Temask. An eyewitness was a Chinese trader Wang Ta-yuan saying it was a dread place for traders. "Of the inhabitants he said 'everything the inhabitants posses is a product of their plundering of Chinese junks'. Also about Temesk "Arab writers in thethirteenth century had spoken of the neighboring islands 'from which armed black pirates with poisoned arrows emerge, possesing armed warships' "

" WangTa-yuan told how west-bound ships were allowed to pass without hinderence, but on the homeward run junks put up padded screens as protection and prayed for fair winds to carry them safely past the savage Tan-ma-hsi or Temasek pirates, who lurked in wait with as many as two ot three hundred boats"

Hmmm! Maybe Ted and/or Terrie read this book. :lol:

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Ahoy,Red-

Singapore also at one time had a Reputation as a Port of Exotic and Somewhat Sophisticated Sexual Debauchery-at Least From the Viewpoint of Occidental visitors in the Days of Old. I believe it is in this Spirit Captain Sparrow makes His Throwaway Remark- but, Then I Believe in Lots of Dumb things-True Love, Possibility of Peace on Earth-Crap Like That, Y'Know-

Yer Olde Crewmate(And Pain in the Keester)

:lol: RtR ;)

"For I have dipped My Hands in Muddy Waters, and Must a Pirate be- A short but Merry Life shall be My Motto!"- Bartholomew Roberts

Yeah, I agree with Roger. You can find many references to this notion. While Singapore was sometimes specified, the whole of the orient was thought to be a center of debauchery in certain eras.

________

"Rule number one: never do anything yourself when someone else can do it for you."

"And rule two?"

"Rule number two: in Japan, men come first, women come second."

"I just might retire to here. "

James Bond & Tiger Tanaka, You Only Live Twice

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG