Dissecting GAoP costume Part 1: Reade and Bonny

Mariner's cuffs have a long buttoned opening running lengthways up the arm, sometimes as high as the elbow. This was originally to make it easier to roll up sleeves, and remained for that reason on working clothes for centuries, but also seems to have been adapted as a sort of seaman's fashion on non-working gear. I can't imagine Admiral Leake having to roll his sleeves up, and even if he did I can't imagine it being practical with the great turn backs he's got. :lol:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GoF, now you're beginning to tax me! I can find you photos of Tudor sea-chests (from the Mary Rose, or Francis Drake's), 17th century sea-chests (got a picture from the Vasa somewhere, or maybe the Tre Krona), later 18th century sea-chests (check out the one in the boat in Hogarth's Idle Apprentice for example), but can I think of a GAoP one? Nope.

I'm not certain it would be considered a sea chest but here's one that belonged to Capt. Tew:

http://www.piratesoul.com/spotlight_detail.aspx?id=4

I remember when this came up at auction a few years back as part of the Driscoll Piracy Library auction at Christies. I drooled over it then and it still makes me salivate! The sword on top of the page was also owned by Tew. I've been looking for a photo of it for years so I could have a relpica made. And now there it is!

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

You did good Foxe!

Interesting too as the ones being carried from the ship are open?

Do the early or later ones have shleves or dividers for gear. The seem pretty big. Must have been really cramped quarters with all the men and gear.

I think we will have to dissect that photo in the future.

So if there are any more questions or comments about the Reade and Bonny photo, when can go to the next one.

Foxe, if you have a good one of the whole firsking picture, go ahead and post it.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I don't think the spike is essential on an axe, it just happens that that was what RN boarding axes were made like in the 18th century. IIRC there were plain axes found on the Tre Krona, a late 17th century Swedish shipwreck. I've definitely seen them, and I think it was from there, but I'd have to check.

This is a quote from Boarders Away v.1 by William Glickerson pg. 36 regarding The illustration in GHP st ed. 1724:

"While Defoe's 9he goes for DeFoe as author theory)text has been proven largely authoritative by subsequent scolars, the illustrations for his popular book (an other copycat publications of the time) are seeen as fanciful in amny details. The reader will not here be burdened by a further expostion of the often-reproduced pirate picturea showing odd pike-headed, axe-like things of dubious origin ...The sperhead would have prevented either the pick or the blade from being able to chop into any of the ships thousands of corners and angles, immeseurably inhibting the tools fire-fightling capability. Also, such a weapon would have had an inconveintly wide swinging arc under the low (5-1/2' average) overhead timbers of a frigates gun-deck, quarter-deck, or forcastle. Further it was obviously not adapted for safe carrying at the belt, and it would have been prickley thing to handle amongst the press of one's own comrades."

In other words, looks great on paper but a b&%$ to use in real life onboard ship! :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

I agree Maria, I wouldn't describe that as a sea chest, more of a strong-box, but you'll note that the shape is more or less the same as in the other drawings. The sword is very nice too, wouldn't mind a replica of that myself.

GoF, with the exception of the surgeon's chest from the Mary Rose I don't recall seeing any sort of division in sea chests, but if it's being used primarly to keep clothes in you wouldn't need them.

The whole of the "frisking" picture can be seen HERE in the largest format I can manage at the moment. I too am having trouble posting pics direct to the threads so perhaps someone else could see if they can manage it?

Brief history: Woodes Rogers commanded a privateering voyage in 1709 or thereabout, raiding the West coast of South America. one of the successes of the voyage was a raid on the port of Guayacil which is depicted here in an engraving from Woodes Rogers' 1712 published account of that voyage.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I Posted the Guayacil raid in a new thread... lets leave this one for Reade and Bonney comments and move the new disccusion to Dissecting the Pirate: 2 Guyacil

Keep up the good work mates!

GoF

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• 3 weeks later...

I was just noticing how wide the trousers look on the Reade and Bonny pic that Foxe posted. They are huge! I am working on a trouser pattern now.

Hmmmm...

GoF

• 2 years later...

1726editionJohnson.jpg

Hmmm from a 1726 edition of Johnson... note what looks like ruffles on their caps or scarves on their heads... and that their sleeves look like they are gathered at the wrist...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

My problem with this is according to the trial testimony of Dorothy Thomas Bonney & Read were wearing: Mens's shirts, trousers, headscarves and jackets. This is illustration is a feminaztion of what they would have worn. Ruffles? Really.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Well after finding this rendition of the ladies, tis why I now question using it for MEN'S clothing....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/