Pirate exhibit in Oshkosh WI

LadyBarbossa

Thus far the 18th for sure. Though... the 19th is up to you nothing major for the 19th. So .. if you are not around on the 19th.. that's fine.

Activities will be on the 18th. Much is planned.

Here is what Mr Breza stated:

here is what is being planned for the June 18th date.

The "Deb D" also in the email send to is the

museum staff person who is organizing and managing the opening day events.

If you have special questions and the like you might want to email her or

call her at 920-424-4733.

By the way I took a look at my big wall tent. It is about 8 foot wide, 7 to

8 foot tall at the ridge pole, side walls at about 32" tall and about 10'

long. Will set it up on the museum grounds for the day of the 18th for the

pirate crew use.

Museum opens at 10:00 that day, but the main push for the events is

scheduled for 12:00 to 4:00. We will have visitors starting at 10:00 so be

ready!!!!

Pirate Mayhem Day

Oshkosh Public Museum

June 18th, 2005

12:00 to 4:00

Pirate Activities to Include:

1. Enter a pirate contest---Dress in your best pirate outfit when you visit

the museum this day. All contestants must register when they enter the

museum. Pirate judges will observe contestants and judge their outfit as

well as how they act like a pirate. First, second and third place prizes to

be awarded in an Adult and Child category (call the museum for more

details).

2. Go Treasure Hunting.

3. Create a Captain's Hat.

4. Build your own pirate ship.

5. Race a pirate ship.

6. Make a Swashbuckler puppet.

7. Try your luck at a "Talk Like A Pirate" guessing game.

Other fun things to do:

Listen to Bounding Main: three performances, each 1/2 hour in length at

1:15, 2:15 and 3:15

Experience Pirate re-enactors (and do not forget to bring your camera)

Plus....Do not miss The Pirates Cove-where you can partake of Pirate fare

such as ship's bread and grog.

Does this sound fabulous or what?!? :wub:

:wub:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YOW! Okay, that was a real nice update of information, thanks.

As it stands, I am planning to be there on Saturday. I'd like to know what people's plans are after the event (drinks at a local pub?), as I have to get back to my CW unit that evening for the next day's activities (and some around-the-campfire evening fun and storytelling). Unless you want to follow me to hang around a Civil War campfire...

Actually (did I say this already?), at our C.W. "School of the Soldier" a couple weekends ago, around the campfire on Saturday night I brought up the subject of the Oshkosh Pirate Thing, and we got into a discussion of Pirates, Pyratical things, this website (I am now watching for some people I know to show up here...), and stuff. Before long, almost everyone was talking like a pirate.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

;););)

You know how TEMPTED I am to join ya? I'm sure I can tell a few good stories about Lee's Legion & ... Robert E Lee's Daddy's unit. :)

Oh, Aye! It's right amazing! Alas, I'd say we could have a couple Brit Marines... but the majority of the Brits will be out to Williamsburg the following weekend & will be getting around for that.

But Aye... it's amazing who shows up. :)

Check out the Spring Invasion thread... If any are interested to join us again & join me for another wild weekend.. can do!

Morgan! I'm getting in touch with the Marines to se about guesting with them. I'm sure they would LOVE to have ya!

;)

;)

Hey all! I JUST got this hot off the email press.. from Deb who is another coordinator of this event:

Hello, I thought I had sent a reply last week, but in double checking did not see that I did--sorry it has been a bit hectic around here lately!!! It would be great if you are willing to judge. What we are doing is asking everyone in costume to register when they arrive and they will receive a tag of some kind so judges know who is who. The judges also will have tags designating them as judges. Then throughout the day (12 to 4) judges can observe these "pirates" Prizes to be awarded to the best Adults (1st, 2nd, 3rd) and Children (1st, 2nd , and 3rd). Judges will get together at the end of day and give their opinions. Thanks so much for your offer! Deb

JUDGING & LOOKING FOR NEW RECRUITS! I LOVE IT!

What could be better-

DON'T ANSWER THAT! No we can't have the RUM..... not yet. Later on, gents an' ladies... ;)

:blink:

The route is mapped, my plans are set. See you on the 18th. Now if I could just find all my gear...

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Will see ya there, Pete! Lookin' forward to terrorizin' the locals with ya!

I'll be one of the Judges for the pirate costume contest... so... I have some interesting ideas on how to take a good look over of the fresh blood.

;)

I can also be counted in. I have some fancy new threads that are still in the works, so they might be a close call. But even if they're not yet done, I can always show up in slops and a shirt :)

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Same here... with everything else I have done, I still don't have a coat for myself (this has been belabored endlessly in other topic threads). I'm working on finishing the waistcoat, and I think that will do the trick. Might be too warm anyway.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

I really do not have anything to add, do you? Is anyone else from this forum planning to attend?

By my count, it's Lady Barbossa, Sjöröveren, Red Bess (and progeny), and Bilgemunkey. And me. Anyone else? I am most sincerely looking forward to meeting each and every one of you.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

I am most sincerely looking forward to meeting each and every one of you.

Aye, Cap'n Pete! I kin hardly wait! 'Bout time our Midwestern crew got together!

SeaRover and I will be checking this thread and our e-mail right up until we leave on Friday afternoon -- so if anything new comes up, post it here or send us a PM or an e-mail. Otherwise, see you in Oshkosh Saturday morning! :huh:

My gear is all in order. Might catch "Batman Begins" tomorrow after work with the Missus, then throw everything in the car to get an early Saturday morning start. I, too, will check for updated posts before leaving.

Having not met before, I don't know how we can recognize each other. Oh -- here's an idea -- I'll dress as a Pirate.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Ahhrrr! What an excellent time! I had great fun. Thanks to all who were there -- it was a great day, indeed.

I will undoubtedly post information in this space responsive to questions or discussions raised, as I feel most are of limited interest to the Pirate community at large.

... and PMs will be going out to EACH of you, as appropriate.

But, publicly, thank you to all. If the rest of the people in these various pirate discussion threads are as nice as you Midwesterners, I cannot wait to attend more events.

If you have the opportunity to post any pictures taken, I encourage you to do so.... just leave out the ones with my finger up my nose!

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

It was indeed a wonderful event! I had such fun meeting Pub pals in real life. You all looked wonderful -- Sjöröveren should be posting some pictures shortly.

I thought the exhibit itself was well worth the trip -- Oshkosh has a beautiful Public Museum and the exhibit was very impressive. They obviously have a very enthusiastic and dedicated volunteer staff -- everyone there was in the pirate spirit. I thought they really went all out! I wasn't sure what to expect -- and I was really pleased! They did a great job!

So, of course, I would encourage anyone who is in the area to stop by and check it out. The exhibit runs though October, so you've all got plenty of time!

Lady Barbossa -- here's the write-up from the flint I gave you:

"ORIGINAL BROWN BESS MUSKET FLINTS. Dating back from the Napoleonic Wars (1798-1815). For use with all period flintlock muskets, these British flints were knapped to regulation pattern at Brandon in the County of Suffolk in England at the close of the 18th Century..."

I understand you guys actually tried to find me on Sunday... oh, dear. Sunday was a bust... Personally, I used up all my energy on Saturday with you guys.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

:ph34r: Oh WHAT A BLAST!!! :ph34r:

Aye... t'was a fabulous exhibit. I was drooling over one of the pistols that was an original... silver & semi-precious stones... Ooooooo... MY kind of pirate pistol! :)

It was FANTASTIC to meet you all! I, too, was exhausted! MerryD can testify to thay! :ph34r:

Ahhhh! Pete! Thank you most kindly!

I'll have to keep m' eyes open for them & inform my Commander (Art) this weekend.

Hoping you are coming... please come.. begging you to swing by & say "hi"... Promise.. I won't shoot ya. :ph34r: Eager to use the flint with my carbine that I am buying from Art.

OH! Hey, all! Just think... another major one can be with the HMS Bounty when she "SAILS" up the Mississippi! I'm doing what I can to be a volunteer crew member aboard her! She's a fine ship.. & you will see her in PotC 2 & 3... hopefully.

Maybe we can do a Pirate gig then as well.

Granted we missed the Pirate Fest at the beginning of June. I had NO clue about it. A pity.

:ph34r:

LadyB,

Cannot promise anything... I have so much to do this weekend, and cannot afford a lot of time for an excursion of this sort (my kids will be with me for the summer in two weeks, and there is a lot left to do, including making Civil War clothes for them all). We shall see... Of course, I just mapped the route, and Rockford is only 60 miles (= 1 hour) from my house. Hmmmm...

Sjöröveren:

The link did not work... or at least I am not accessing it properly. I am dropping my film off tomorrow, but I took very few shots through the day, so I cannot wait to see what you all got.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

from Mike at the museum-

to Merrydeath,

We had about 750 visitors on Saturday and 450 on Sunday.

Great exhibit, great weekend and great pirates! Thanks so much for making this a successful exhibit opening.

I guess it was a success! Thanks to all the of the pirates who helped with this, and made it fun for all us kids! I think Oshkosh will remember us for a long time. I know some little kids dreamed of us amid gold and jewels.

Here's to the next event. Cheers!

(Added later).. I am very proud of our crew, to make such a good show on our maiden voyage. I proprose an extra tout of rum to each.. what say you crew?

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Merrydeath! Nice to see you here, too! While it was wonderful meeting everyone, you were the highlight of my weekend. Better than a Maitz painting, ye are.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

AYE!! extra rum for all !!!! :) :ph34r::ph34r:

What a success & blast to have that many show up! That's a hefty amount! Worth it's weight it's weight in gold & I believe we very much earned out keep at that event! HUZZAH to the Fool's Gold!

Looking forward to your pictures, Pete! :)

If you cant' come, that's cool (granted it will be VERY hot the weekend)... but if you can, then will see ya there.

Otherwise.. I will take PLENTY of pictures... again. A pity you were not able to see the pictures I had of Vincennes. I had them back at the hotel. As well as your box of trinkets. So, I have that here for you until next time. :ph34r:

Likewise with you, BilgeMonkey! I have your trinkets here as well & will give them to ya next time we all invade.

I'm so pleased to hear that Mike thought it was a success! It was great fun to be a part of such a well-planned event!

An extra ration of rum? Awwwrightttt! :ph34r:

I want to thank everyone, too -- especially for being so kind to our boys. They were really impressed with Capt Pete and Bilgemunkey and a bit smitten by the lovely MerryD and Lady B. They really enjoyed being treated as a part of the crew. Thanks again.

And, yes, let's keep a weather eye out for another possible invasion soon!

Some of my pictures are back, but I cannot wrap my mind around the technology required to post any yet. I'll scan and send some privately to a few o' ye.

The good stuff, I believe, is still in my camera. I think all of you guys had the better photo ops.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 1 month later...

Indeed, I now know ye all have better photos than I.

However, I have a few of MerryD that are killers.

But, my pride and joy has to be one of Bilgemunkey and Sjöröveren over drinks. My daughter claims to be able to teach me how to post pix on-line, but I will try to get reprints for the two of ye. It's truly a great picture.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg