Abrasive Chrome Removal

Bilgemunky

I have a baldric from museum replicas - wouldn't really be my first choice if I were buying it today, but we work with what we have.

Anyways, one of my biggest complaints about it is the buckle - shiny chrome and whatnot. I've considered just replacing it, but that would require breaking the rivets, and I've had trouble finding properly sized replacement rivets. Another option would be simply removing the chrome finish (not sure what kind of metal I'll find underneath.) I've done some small research online, and most methods seem to involve harsh chemicals (which wouldn't seem ideal since the buckle will still be attached to the leather) or buying special fiberglass pens.

I have a basement full of sanding paper, steel wool, rotozips, dremels, etc... Anyone have any experience with removing chrome? I don't care if I bang up the buckle a bit, so long as it's functional and could pass for period.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Aye, I agree with RumbaRue...

Most likely if it came from Museum Replicas, the buckle is made of cheap zinc die-cast, also known as "pot metal" underneath the chrome. You are better off replacing it with something better.

>>>>>>>> Cascabel

• 3 weeks later...

I am very happy with brass buckles and rivets. You may try a 3" re enactors buckle., try tandy leatherworks for it.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"