Instruments of the musical kind ...

Wartooth

I play a bit of acoustic guitar and was planning on adding an instrument like that to my "persona". Is there a resource for research into historical instruments ... particularly those of coastal New England in the mid-18thC ? What would be allowed on board a typical merchant/privateer rig of the time? Space being at a minimum, I would assume a double bass is out of the question! ;)

Wartooth

the concertina, as I recall, was invented circa 1830.

I'm not sure about regional variations, but I seem to recall hautboys being mentioned. Also, I believe hurdy-gurdies were popular. And of course, every good pirate ship needs drummers!!!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Close but not quite. I think it's due to some 18th century music I have that was recorded by a group more commonly known for 19th century whaling songs, and they used their 19th century stylings in this older music. Little group called Wickford Express. Ah well.

We can still sing Jolly Broom Man, can't we? :)

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Treasure Island, the Chuck Heston version. Someone is playing a concertina in their somewhere...

Now if I'm not mistaken, this is one of those places that PotC did "good." In the big "toss Keira around the ship" scene, I believe there is a pirate playing a hurdy-gurdy. Check out the guy sitting on the capstan. I think that's what he has in his hands.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

You might like to check out the Early Music Shop who have an incredible range of historical instruments with a very high level of authenticity. Also Hobgoblin Music (USA) might be worth a look, they deal in general folk instruments so some of their stuff isn't as authentic as the EMS, but most of it's cheaper!

FWIW the instruments being played on top of the capstan in POTC are a fiddle and a concertina.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Hey Wartooth, how about bagpipes? :lol:

Saying I'm full o' hot air? :)

Took a look at a couple of historical music sites, and found that guitars were indeed used. Mainly from the french and italians during the 17th and 18th centuries. Whether they were feasible at sea ... I don't know. Mandolins also came into play in that period (having mutated from the older lute form). Still digging.

Wartooth