Pyrates in the Heartland.......

the Royaliste

Well, Two years ago or so, I thought about sailin' down the Misssissippi from the Great Lakes, and now I'm toyin' with the idea 'o motorin' upstream from the Carribean......More like upstream to Minneapolis from New Orleans, not the Great Lakes this time...Any pirates livin' close to the river, whaddya think??..Is there enuff interest from the attraction vessel angle?

:huh:

Good Sir....

Having lived on that river for most of my life you will find it an enjoyable sail....there is amazing intrest in most of our river traffic and any "boat" that stops in the Quad Cities ( Davenport, Moline, Bettendorf, Davenport) gets MUCH attention...The river valley is beauty and people are good....many ports to call on on the way up river...If you decide to do this...a pirate invasion in the Quad Cities WILL BE HAD...as within the Iowa-Ill. corridor there is a crewe that can't be beat....Mercy, Barbosa, darkRose, Cap'r. Morgan and a whole lot more....

I don't be sure what all you need to know but pm...or e-mail me and I will answer what I can bout our area of the Big Muddy...

darkRose,

roguespierre@juno.com

I think with the number of ports to call on...there would be more than enough to make the trip worthwhile...

dR

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

if you decide to do this...a pirate invasion in the Quad Cities WILL BE HAD...as  within the Iowa-Ill. corridor there is a crewe that  can't be beat....Mercy, Barbosa, darkRose, Cap'r. Morgan  and a whole lot more....

I don't be sure what all you need to know  but pm...or e-mail me and I will answer what I can  bout  our area of the Big Muddy...

darkRose,

roguespierre@juno.com

-------------------

I'm getting a group together as this is posted. Just a few of us who like to go as pirates and stir the dust.

Fool's Gold is the ship's name and Ale is our game. We are right around that area, as DR said.. (miss you like hell, dR, come back soon!)

foolsgoldscrew@yahoo.com

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

It's pretty much one of those 'if we had ham, then we'd have ham 'n eggs, if we had eggs' kinda things..If I decide not to head back to S.F. after Tallships Challenge 2005 from San Diego, and opt for more southerly climes (think Costa Rica or the Carribean), a trip upstream voyage 2006 would be one alternative for beating most of hurricane season..........But, the river-style approach only leaves me attraction vessel 'at the dock' sources of revenue for the non-profit Privateer!, since sail training is nigh on to impossible on the river........

You are obivously correct about the sail training on the river...even the areas that would have room for teaching have wing dams and the channel is the only part dredged....though the Corps of Engineer maps are updated and well kept due to the commercial traffic on the river. And there are small sailing clubs up and down the river that might be interested in your voyage. (Davenport Sailing club has an area of the river called Lake davenport....these are all shallow draft but the river is over a mile wide at this point above Lock and Dam 15 I believe)

There are a couple of considerations as to being the Attraction....First is that my experience the towns along the river always support the attraction boats(Delta Queen, River Queen etc) and all these towns constantly have celebrations going on...if dates were right you could probably tie into enough of these to make your trip worthwhile...ie. the Quad Cities has some sort of weekend festival running from May to Oct. from Jamaca My Weekend to the Blues Fest to The Bix(Biederbeck) Jazz festival....and all the smaller towns have things going on constantly...this is not an push to do it...just a couple thoughts to consider....Again if you would like any information drop a line and I will do what I can to get info to you....

darkRose

roguespierre@juno.com

<br />

Bloody Bloomin' Flippin' 'eck...dunno if I can blame it on wot I be drinkin', or wot I be smokin', but...I'm stormed in harbor pretty heavy, and so I've been doin' a wee bit 'o research me own self, and.......I was right two years ago, I'd never have made it down the Illinois Waterway due to a 35' bridge.....As far as the Mighty Miss goes tho', well......thar be a 52' one (we'll call that 50' for a ruff wave), and a few 55's further upstream....The really great news is with a little sweat and some libations to the crew, my topmasts fore and aft both will drop some 15' apiece without leavin' the lubber's hole ( 5' more if needed)puttin; me at 50' on my main and 48 on my mizzen, making it relatively simple to invision pulling this off......I'dhave to run downriver rather quickly on the way south, but it's damn feasible, but then I dunno if'n my saltwater encrusted crew would be game for it after just being in the Carribean.....Within 4 or 5 weeks, I'll know which way the wind will be blowin' the Tallship Royaliste...

A small footnote..If I could make bank on this, I'd pull it off, seein' as how under this Pacific pirate skin there once was a midwestern boy, and I'd do it just to overlap two excellent worlds...( when I once wore a patch on me back instead 'o me eye, I did more than a few fine times ridin' on the river roads to make work erectin' powerplants after drinkin' and partyin' in the Yankee Clipper in R.I. 'till the sun started risin'... :ph34r: )...My oldest of children live 4 hours west of Minneapolis....My granddaughter would get a kick out of tellin' all her friends that grandpa sailed to the 'Cities'.........

I think you could make a few bucks in the Twin Cities area too. St. Paul is especially proud of their riverfront, Minneapolis is playing catch-up. We had the Tall Stacks excursion last summer, with a dozen or so steamboats spending most of July 4th week in St. Paul. Harriet Island is a City of St. Paul park, and has a marina that may be large enough for you -- that's where the steamboats tied up last summer. There's probably more sponsorship possibilties in St. Paul too -- Park & Rec Dept., MN History Center, MN Science Museum, MN Children's Museum.

St. Paul is basically desperate to get anyone to come there instead of Minneapolis or the Mall of America. I think a pirate ship could be a big draw. Worth looking into.

And Red Bess and I would be happy to show you around, if you needed a tour guide.

Too bad you can't find a way to get onto Lake Superior. They don't get tall ships to visit there too often. And it's properly big water.

Cap'n Gary, mate, I'd gladly come and see ya... let us know what, if anything, we can do to aid ya!

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Alas me friend...The Yankee Clipper is no more....she now be a parkin lot...but ye might find a wee bit more in that area now...tis where they have the festivals we be talkin bout....Downtown RI..

But ahhhhhhhh, the Yankee Clipper....how many times have we heard..."All right...hands on the wall"

dR

<br />