Pirate Soul Museum

JoshuaRed

The museum is great. I was at the pre-opening party and got a tour and was at the ribbon cutting. It was a great time and the museum is wonderful. A lot of hard work, thought and money went into the planning went into this. It's worth the time if you get down here to key west!

Deadly Aim

pil'-lag-ing

It's like looting, but the shopkeeper is watching from behind some hastily contrived shelter.

Rum Wench - Pyrates of the Coast

• 1 year later...

I had chance to wander through Croce's little monument to Piracy today in Key West. It's...ok. It cost me $15 to go through and I'd say that's steep for the goods delivered.

There's a lot of stuff that must have been unearthed from Port Royal (dutifully labelled "Port Royal pre-1692" or something like that). There's also some stuff brought up from Blackbeard's ship (including a beat up tin said to be BBs own plate - I'm doubtful on that claim.) Included in the first half among the bits and pieces are several weapons, medical instruments, books (including a first edition of Captain Johnson's little tome), pottery, utensils and miscellanea.

In the middle is a curious thing - an electronic "book" describing the lives of various pirates. (Electronics and piracy - rather a curious combo, methinks.) It followed the lines of what you find in most printed resources fairly well. I was sort of surprised to find the pirate Black Caesar in the line-up as there's a great deal of debate about the truth of this pirate's story and even his existance. Several BCs exist from what I've read, but I think they trotted this one out to play off the alleged Fla. historical angle on one of the Caesars.

They also had a pretty strong exhibit on Howard Pyle, identifying him a sort of slave to pirate picture authenticity. :lol: (Pyle being the first one to propagate a lot of the hollywood-style pirate myths - earrings, bucket boots and whatnot.)

Then there's a mouldy exhibit featuring a talking animatronic BB head hung from the bowsprit giving us jokes about nobody (no-body :rolleyes: ) along with a short recitation of the facts of the printed story of his fall.

They had a gibbet with a fake rotting skeleton inside - a highlight for me, but not enough to justify 15 greenbacks.

Some poor cove was sitting in authentic hollywood pirate gear making the occasional museum traveller pose for a picture which you could buy in the gift shop I suppose.

Tew's chest was the climax as far as the staging went. They claim it to be the only such pirate chest with provenance - a claim I've seen debated hereabouts. It was sort of neat because the lock is on top, with a fake version on the front where it'd be expected. There was also a flake of gold brought up from BBs ship near the end. (And I mean a wee, small flake.)

The gift shop didn't show me much (except for the door.) I had hoped to find a nice polo with a skull on it, but nothing of the sort was to be found hanging about the place.

Overall, it was ok. Not worth 15 bucks, but I doubt that would stop a traveller finding themselves at the door with a keen eye for all things pirate. I was particularly fascinated with the medical instruments from Port R, myself. Personally, I'd suggest shelling out the cash for a day at Disneyworld and enjoying that bit of fantasy over this - you can find most of this stuff in the books - and not have to fend off the poor re-enactor chap trying to get you to pose.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• 2 months later...

Philly Icon Croce Open Pirate Museum in Key West

(05.13.06-AP) — Pat Croce's passion for pirates is written all over him.

The former president of the Philadelphia 76ers basketball team has a Jolly Roger tattooed on his left hand and a ship on his left forearm. A parrot tattoo sits on his shoulder, and he even wears a silver hoop earring. It's when he pulls back the corner of his mouth, however, revealing a molar cap etched with a skull and crossbones, that it's clear this is no ordinary obsession.

For the past 16 years, Croce, 51, has also been collecting pirate artifacts, indulging a childhood fascination with the swashbucklers and amassing a treasure trove of objects: the journal from Capt. Kidd's last voyage; one of only two known authentic Jolly Roger flags; and a treasure chest once owned by Capt. Thomas Tew, said to be the only one in existence directly traceable to a pirate.

For years, he hid the loot in his home. Last year, however, Croce began sharing the booty with the public, opening a $10 million museum called Pirate Soul in downtown Key West. In February, Croce opened a pirate-themed restaurant called Pat Croce's Rum Barrel, next to the museum.

The two ventures are only some of the latest for Croce, a physical therapist who made his fortune with a string of sports medicine clinics. Once employed by the 76ers as a conditioning coach, he eventually became the franchise's president and saw it climb from last place to first in the NBA's Eastern Conference, reaching the finals in 2001. Since leaving the team, Croce has been a martial arts commentator for the Summer Olympic games, hosted a TV show and become a motivational speaker and author.

Croce says a pirate spirit has infused all of his undertakings.

"It's that bold and adventurous nature, where they just go for their goal, throw caution to the wind, set their sail and go. I love that. I love that whole philosophy," he said recently while in Key West, where he has a home.

Croce's daughter, Kelly Croce Sorg, lives on the island and is the museum's CEO. Opening a museum in Key West, which was built on the spoils of shipwrecks and where buccaneer street performers now rove the streets, just made sense, Sorg said.

At the museum, visitors start their tour in a recreated marketplace of Port Royal, Jamaica, peering in the windows of the gun shop, the mapmaker's, the bookmaker and the physician's office to see artifacts. In the next room, a tavern, guests can sit down amid centuries-old wine bottles and a plate recovered from the pirate Blackbeard's sunken ship and browse an interactive book of pirate biographies on touch-screens.

Then it is on to the deck of a pirate ship, where sound effects and video bring a ship takeover to life. Near the end of the tour, visitors encounter a talking anamatronic head of the pirate Blackbeard and can step into small, dark rooms simulating a ship's hold and listen as pirates give chase.

"It's kind of like something you'd see at Disney World," said Bert Knisely of Thomasville, Ga., who visited the museum recently on his honeymoon.

Theatrics aside, the real gems of the collection are the approximately 500 artifacts that are on display — pieces of eight, maps, navigation instruments, cannon balls, weapons, and even a rare pirate wanted poster. Most of the objects are Croce's but there are also pieces on loan from the North Carolina Maritime Museum and the Delaware Art Museum.

Trevor Huggins, 18, who toured the museum while visiting from Augusta, Ga., said he was surprised at the number and quality of the artifacts as well as what he learned about daily life on a pirate ship.

"I learned how brutal it actually was," Huggins said. "I didn't realize that at first."

Posted signs also tell visitors that walking the plank is likely a bit of fiction. Pirates usually just pushed any scurvy fellows overboard or used them for target practice. The difference between a privateer and buccaneer is explained. (Privateers were authorized to plunder by the government.) Visitors even learn about two lady pirates: Anne Bonny and Mary Read.

Croce says he is not done adding to the collection, and his daughter said he is not done tinkering with the museum, either.

"His title is captain," Sorg said. "He's the captain of the ship. If he says, 'We're going north,' we're going north, and we're just along for the ride."

Dances for nickels.

• 5 weeks later...

I gotta say that when I was down last fall for PiP I took a turn through Pirate Soul with my wife and we loved it. It was well done, clean, and had something for everyone. For kids you could find the Disney styled touch. FOr history lovers we found tons of artifacts and stopped and read each and every exhibit. I say go if you are in the area.