S. Cal Faire needs to find New Home

Isabella

I am not sure where to exactly post this message, but a friend of mine mailed this forward. I spent many years at Devore, and I am sad to see this message cross my screen.

Link to Article

Annual event needs to find new home

By SCOTT VANHORNE, Staff Writer

Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - The Renaissance Pleasure Faire, which drew thousands of revelers to Glen Helen Regional Park in Devore for a taste of 16th-century English flair, will have to find a new home, county officials said Tuesday.

"There will be no fair this year," San Bernardino County Counsel Fiona Luke said. "The parties are going to work out an agreement to terminate the contract."

The 10-year lease agreement between the county and the fair required Renaissance Entertainment Corp. to make improvements to its permanent site at the park, including adding restrooms and improved food preparation areas.

But after about a year of negotiations, both sides were unable to reach an agreement, and the 15-year marriage between the two has landed on the chopping block.

"The county did everything it could to work with the Renaissance Faire and try and get compliance with the lease, but it just didn't happen," county spokesman David Wert said.

Officials from Renaissance Entertainment Corp., based in Louisville, Colo., could not be reached for comment. Ted Durden, general manager of the fair, is on a cruise and was unavailable for comment.

The fair, which lasted for six to eight weeks in the spring, drew about 200,000 people annually and boosted the local economy, said Steve Henthorn, president and chief executive of the San Bernardino Convention and Visitors Bureau.

"It's a crowd that generally has money to spend," he said.

Henthorn estimated the event funneled about $10 million into the local economy as fair attendees patronized local restaurants, hotels, bars and other businesses.

San Bernardino Area Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Judi Penman was shocked when she heard about the parting of ways.

"I would like to know if the county powers-that-be really worked seriously with the Renaissance Faire to solve these problems and keep them there," she said. "(The fair) gives San Bernardino a very positive name. I just don't understand."

Second District Supervisor Paul Biane said he secured a $350,000 state grant to help the fair pay for the required improvements, but the parent company didn't come up with matching funds, which were about 20 percent of the total.

The renovations were necessary to maintain public safety at the mass gathering, he said.

"They were typical code violations that we wouldn't allow anywhere else," Biane said.

In addition, "the rundown shanty village" that is home to the fair was hurting regular park attendance, the supervisor said.

This isn't the first time the county and fair have jousted.

In 1996, fair officials announced they were moving because they wanted a permanent site and couldn't hammer out a deal with the county, which had leased them land at Glen Helen Regional Park since 1989 after the event departed from Agoura in the San Fernando Valley.

The two sides finally reached an accord, and the fair was able to build some permanent structures at the park.

Staff writer Ed Mauel contributed to this report. Scott Vanhorne can be reached by phone at (909) 386-3878.

Just to let you know. They are still in negotiations to try to keep the faire. The rumour is that there is a "Plan B". So we will have to wait and see what happens. :wacko:

Men are like a deck of cards - You need a heart to love them, a diamond to marry them, a club to beat them and a spade to bury the bastards.

Here's news from Gerald....

Dear Faire Performers:

Each year we go through a permit process and also must meet many county

requirements before we are cleared to open. The recent newspaper article

reporting that we would not be returning to the Glen Helen site was

premature. Rikki Kipple assures me that despite the usual concerns

associated with operating the Faire at its current county site, nothing has

as yet been absolutely finalized.

If circumstances require that we must move, we will be prepared to do so.

Alternate sites, of a very promising nature, are available. Rest assured

that we will have a 2005 REC Southern California Faire. Please advise

your fellow performers that they should expect a Faire very much as usual.

Contracts and other items will be going out soon.

I have, understandably, been flooded with inquiries and have not been able

to address each one individually. Please let this serve to provide you

with reliable information that you may pass on to other performers.

As regards the rumor that I am not currently working for REC, I assure you

that I am indeed working as entertainment director. If for any reason this

were to change, you would be notified. Please continue to do your part in

terminating all negative rumors.

As more info becomes available, we will provide it to you. I will update

and advise as frequently as possible. In the event we do have to move, we

will make every effort to provide you with plenty of notice and the ability

to transfer your items from the site.

Your Director or Guildmaster has the current e-Mail address. Please do not

flood the REC office with phone calls or e-Mails.

Thank you very much.

Gerald Zepeda

Director of Entertainment

REC California

I'm not sure who this is but I can only guess it's one of the high muckey-mucks....we'll just have to wait and see how much truth there is to it.

Date: January 6, 2005 4:49:02 PM PSTSubject: Renaissance Pleasure Faire

Today is Thursday January sixth 2 0 0 5

Dear Participant,

As you probably know, the Renaissance Pleasure Faire will no longer be held at Glen Helen Park in San Bernardino County. We are keenly aware that this news will come as a great surprise to all of you and will, in many cases, present a great hardship.

We have been diligently trying to meet the counties' CUP requirements since last summer. Our efforts have included the preparation and filing for plan check of infrastructure development plans, obtaining bids on the required work and offering to escrow funds with the County to ensure that infrastructure development was performed. Since last summer, we have sincerely done everything in our power to resolve outstanding issues with the County. Shortly before Christmas, it became clear that the County would not support a 2005 Faire at Glen Helen Park.

We are currently in negotiations to acquire an alternate site to operate our Renaissance Pleasure Faire for 7 weekends beginning mid April, 2005. The location we are seeking has beautiful trees and lakes and is closer to our audience base.

We know that the lack of information at this time presents a great uncertainty. We, therefore, will be communicating with you on a continuing basis as to the progress of these negotiations.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for this unfortunate situation.

Pete Leavell Stanley Gilbert Rikki Kipple

Men are like a deck of cards - You need a heart to love them, a diamond to marry them, a club to beat them and a spade to bury the bastards.

I worked S. Faire when it was still in Agoura and then when it moved to San Berdu. I was also in Friends of Faire for awhile.

I quit S. Faire because of crap-ass politics and people with their heads up their...censored.gif.

It will be interesting to see where they end up.

Rumba Rue

**St. Erroll of Flynn prey for us** :ph34r:

Rumba,

I feel the same way you do.....

Heres something from the L.A. Times

LA TIMES: Renaissance Faire Won't Return to Devore

San Bernardino County and event operators end lease for festival at Glen Helen Regional Park.

By Hugo Martín, Times Staff Writer

The Renaissance Pleasure Faire, a popular Old World festival that has drawn thousands to watch jousting knights, jesters and Shakespearean plays, will not return to a regional park in Devore this year, San Bernardino County officials say.

The oldest Renaissance festival in the country was started in 1963 in North Hollywood by a teacher who had hoped it would teach participants about life in 16th century England. It eventually moved to Agoura and then to Glen Helen Regional Park in Devore.

San Bernardino County, which operates the park, has reached an agreement with faire operators to end a 10-year lease that would have kept the faire at the park until 2010 and generated about $5 million for the county in rents and improvements, according to county officials.

Faire officials could not live up to a requirement in the lease that the faire provide $500,000 in park improvements each year for four years, according to county officials and lease documents.

The lease also required the faire to pay annual rents of between $224,500 and $449,500, depending on the year and attendance records.

The lease agreement approved by the county in June 2000 called on the faire to install new buildings, infrastructure and landscaping to make the regional park the faire's permanent site.

Faire crews typically install and dismantle tents and other temporary buildings before and after the event.

County spokesman David Wert declined to provide details of what led to the decision to end the lease, but he said the Renaissance Pleasure Faire could not make the improvements as required.

The faire is owned by Renaissance Entertainment Corp., a Colorado company that operates similar festivals in Northern California, New York and Wisconsin.

A spokesperson for the corporation declined to comment Wednesday.

The faire has operated from the regional park in Devore since the late 1980s. The festivals were held eight weekends each spring.

The festival has drawn up to 200,000 visitors a year, according to faire officials. County convention and visitors bureau officials have estimated that the festival pumps about $10 million annually into the local economy as fairegoers visit area restaurants, hotels and stores.

Wert said the county had not decided what attraction would replace the faire, but he said the county might consider using the site for extra parking for the adjacent Hyundai Pavilion.

Hmmmm, 20%? That doesn't seem like very much for a big corporation like REC. And why didn't they mention that the faire changed hands? Another posting I read on another site mentioned that calls to Zepeda's office weren't being returned. :ph34r: As much as I hate to say it that's typical REC. What kills me is that people are trying to save Southern when most of the time it was a miserable hot faire but yet Santa Barbara faire which was beautiful and also a lot of fun has been cancelled without anyone saying anything. Ok, I'll step off my soap box now.

Re: Santa Barbara Faire - The Pattersons who started S. Faire were running this one. I understand another case of mis-management with them (no surprise there), and also the fact it just wasn't close enough for anyone to really attend except people in Santa Barbara area. A true money looser.

The real money is in the Los Angeles area.

Rumba Rue

** :ph34r: **

Aye tis a saddened time in the shire it be. The skuttle and I 'ave this pon certain ear! There are many places with huge interest in welcoming the faire and for this seasons continuation of it being the first and original faire. I hears it comes closer to the population base as well and mayhaps an ocean breeze be in the wind, lakes and many adorning trees too 'ave been of certain offering as well. By Saturday night all should be of full disclosure and we be "avin the (little arrangement of Southern Faire) party hearty matey's and lassies. Not to be of worry!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Aye tis a saddened time in the shire it be. The skuttle and I 'ave this pon certain ear! There are many places with huge interest in welcoming the faire and for this seasons continuation of it being the first and original faire. I hears it comes closer to the population base as well and mayhaps an ocean breeze be in the wind, lakes and many adorning trees too 'ave been of certain offering as well. By Saturday night all should be of full disclosure and we be "avin the (little arrangement of Southern Faire) party hearty matey's and lassies. Not to be of worry!

Aye, from yer own lips to Manannon's ear!

How fine would a sea breeze be when your dressed to the top mast in velvets!? ;) And swinging a sword to boot!

Aye, indeed... here's hope'n!! ;)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Oh! Just think of the fun! It would be very nice if faire was put somewhere a bit more pleasant with regards to the weather. I know probably most of you have driven quite a bit farther for faires but spending 2 months out of the year driving 4 hours every weekend got really old really fast.