Invasion of Charleston

capnwilliam

Capt'n William,

Try: http://www.revwarcharleston.com/

And...From the "Events" section of No Quarter Given website:

"May 13th through 15th, 2005: 225th Siege of Charleston

Charleston, SC. While pirates do not seem to be welcomed at this event, you might wish to go spy on the Royal Navy in cognito. The Royal Navy and Royal Marines will be encamped along the Ashley River at Drayton Hall (c.1738), a National Trust for Historic Preservation site. Drayton Hall was utilized as the headquarters for British commander Sir Henry Clinton in March of 1780. It was also the location of one of the largest joint Navy and Army operations during the Revolution. The Royal Navy would bring nearly 100 long boats, dorry's and plantation flatboats with three British gunboats up to Drayton Hall in order to ferry almost 8,000 soldiers across the Ashley River in order for Clinton to lay siege to and capture Charlestowne. This event will be held in conjunction with the Charleston Maritime Festival 2005. All enquries regarding the Royal Navy and Royal Marines should be directed to Tom Tucker, Royal Navy organizer. His email address is Heartofoak1783@aol.com It is also recommended that reservations for accommodations and lodging be made early (such as now)."

Link to Charleston Maritime Festival, though it has not been updated

from last year. The festival this year also coincides the Charleston-to-Berumda sail race, so there is a lot going on that weekend.

http://www.charlestonmaritimefestival.com/

Jim

Theres mention of it on the Revolutionary War re-enacting chat list via Yahoogroups.. & a couple other Rev War chat lists on this like revwar.com chat list. Sounds like an exciting event! Wish I could go. Not sure though. I know a few from the NWTA here are going. As well as some from the SCF, British Brigade & the BAR.

The beginning of my area of interest with the Rev War. :ph34r:

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

While in Charleston, check out the Queen Anne's Revenge Restuarant.

It has lots of antique weapons, a life-size diorama, hugh Howard Pyle prints, and a large, 6 ft. tall "QAR" model. (Model is not a Dutch Flute as the QAR was, yet is an impressive piece of craftsmanship that is worth viewing). Oh yes, the food is good .

Their website (with directions) is: http://qarevenge.com

(The mouse action is loads fun on their website. Kuddos to their designer)

• 2 months later...

I am SOOOOO iching to go. I really am. Alas, Lee's Legion in the NWTA won't be there. I believe that the British Legion will be there. But.. I'm not entirely a soldier.

::ponders:: If by some miracle of God I get to go.. believe me, you will know, Capt'n. :lol:

Ooooh, how FUN that will be! I've not been to Charleston yet.

I know I will there for the 225th of Cowpens Jan 2006. I'm pondering Camden in Nov

Which unit or regiment will you be with?

I'll second that suggestion to stop in at the Queen Anne's Revenge Restaurant!

BTW: That large Howard Pyle "Marooned" is THE ORIGINAL, on loan from a museum! It is a beauty.

They also have published a very nice book that was produced by the owner about pirates and the treasures they display there.

The food is also good and nice cannons out front too.

Charleston in the Spring is LOVELY!

Stormfeathersiggycopy.jpg

If you nice folks are going to be there I just might have to volunteer at the Spirit of South Carolina shipyard again this year. I got to meet Casabel and his good Lady last year.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Ahhh... Interesting.

I'm SOOO very tempted to go. I'd love to since I haven't gotten out that direction. I suppose if I would go.. I'd join the British Legion.

Going in garb with no unit, huh? Hmmm. Good luck to ya then.

Ummm.. in garb as what? Colonials?

Well.. if the event I was planning to go to at the end of this month falls through (which just got an email from my commander, he's unable to attend), then I MAY be able to make it. Just need to find a place to set up camp & all though.

Arrr... it all be to far away fer the likes o'the northerners such as meself......

Damn and Blast!

I wish we 'ad somethin' round here ( aside from King Richard's Faire ( which is TERRIBLE!(( Unless ye like payin' t'get into a shoppin' event.....))))

Mmm... Parenthasiseseseses :D

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."

• 1 month later...

We went! And had a great time, despite the heat. Actually as garbed spectators we had the best of it both ways; we got to add to the scenery - got in for free - got to chat with the tourists and merchants, with more credibility than if we were tourons - but didn't have to participate in the battle, at which it rained cats and dogs. I'm not sure how they did it (we hid out under the pavilion during the rain), but I felt sorry for the drenched blokes in their wool uniforms. ;)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

:D

VERY carefully, Will! It's doable. We've done the same thing whilst raining or on wet ground at other re-enactments.

The wool is a pain no matter if it's dry or hot.. hot is worse than wet in my opinion.

But... what's worse is when I finish with my doeskin breeches since I am portraying a Dragoon... when that gets wet, that will be hell!

I heard that it was fabulous. A good report from a few from the NWTA that went. Said the Continental Line was rather authentic & incredible.

Though... being a participant in this... the free part confuses me. Course... I know that some places may have charged cause it was on a National Park grounds. They do the same at some places here like Vincennes.. it's to help maintain the Historical site.

Being on the battlefield is fabulous! I LOVE it! Can't wait for Vincennes Memorial Weekend... battlefield fun! I am SOOOOO looking forward to it. :)

Got pictures? We always LOVE them!

The Revolutionary War Re-enactors chat list on Yahoogroups.... we love reports & pictures.

So... are ya into Revolutionary War much, Cptn Will?

I'm making plans to go to Camden in August for the 225th of the Battle of Camden. Looking forward to that.

MORGAN... whereabouts are ya?

Unless you live north of Quebec... guaranteed there is an American Rev War event in the vicinity.

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

AHHHHHH!

Capn Will! I am VERY jealous of ya!

& likewise to those of ya who were at the 225th Invasion of Charlestowne back in May.

I read a recent report on the 225th event in the newsletter Southern Campaigns of the American Revolution... & was kicking myself wishing I was there!

Such FABULOUS stories that were told! & the camps at different locations just had to have been awesome!

Was anyone in the Brit camp when the Continentals made a raid?

I have yet to torture Colonel Callaham for not totally being dressed & ready for battle... B)

The artillery I'm sure had to have been MOST IMPRESSIVE! It sounded like it B) ... no pun intended :wub:

The Ball.... the Navy... the 2 conflicting sides... what a bummer I missed it.

I intend NOT to miss the 225th of Camden, Cowpens... as well as Yorktown.

Someone tell me your stories on the 225th Seige!

:wub: