persona development

cavalier_pyrate

greetings,

i am doing research for my persona, (which is a sailor in the east india company ) and have come across a few ships which i am interested in , there is very little info on line about them, if anyone know any books or sites that i can get good info ?

i have been too :

www.mariners-l.co.uk/EICpalmerOverview.html

www.eicships.info www.weymouthmuseum.co.uk/eicships.htm

the ships names are : the Royal Exchange(1619) the Trades Increase(1613) and the Red Dragon (1601)

many thanks

"Ships Purser " Alexander the Cavalier

:blink:

I checked my reference books and was unable to find the vessels that you are searching for. Most of what I have covers ships of the line and warships of different nations. I did come across the Falmouth, an East Indiaman built in 1752, but the build date appears to be later than what you are looking for. Being that Queen Elizabeth initially granted the charter in 1600 to the East India Company, it appears that the ships in question are at the very beginings of the venture. I will be happy to pass along the information I have on the Falmouth if you feel it will be of assistance. Bon chance!

Privateer & Commander of "Finnegan's Wake"

Faodaidh fearg sealltainn a strigh air cridh an duine ghlic, ach comhnaichdh i an amadain.

(Anger may look in on a wise man's heart, but it abides in the heart of a fool.)

Not sure if we're talking about the same ship, but:

Assurance, 300 tons, purchased by George Clifford, Earl of Cumberland and renamed Red Dragon in 1586. Equipped as a privateer with demi-cannon, culverins and demiculverins as wll as smaller pieces. She was commanded by Robert Widdrington and had a crew of 230. She sailed under letters of marque from the King of Portugal, an ally of Elizabeth against the Spanish. In 1588 she entered Royal Service as the Sampson under the Earl of Sussex. She fought the Armada Campaign and was one of the last private ships released from service.

A second ship, and perhaps the one you are seeking was launched as the Malice Scourge in the spring of 1595. She was also owned by Clifford. 600 tons, 100ft at the keel, 35ft in the beam, 17ft deep in the hold. 2 gun decks, 34 major pieces- 2 demi cannon, 16 culverin, 12 demiculverin, and 8 sakers. Crew of 400 costing 600 pounds per month to maintain. In 1600 she was sold to the new East India Company, of which George Clifford was a primary stockholder. She was renamed the Red Dragon and served as the flagship for 2 decades.

There is much more on the early history for the ship, especially her Puerto Rican privateering voyage in a book called 'The Privateering Earl'

This is a biography of George Clifford. Written by Richard Spence, Alan Sutton Publishing, 1995 isbn 0-7509-0892-0

My primary persona, by coincidence, is Master Gunner on the first Red Dragon, in service to the Earl.

Hawkyns

:blink:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

A second ship, and perhaps the one you are seeking was launched as the Malice Scourge in the spring of 1595. She was also owned by Clifford. 600 tons, 100ft at the keel, 35ft in the beam, 17ft deep in the hold. 2 gun decks, 34 major pieces- 2 demi cannon, 16 culverin, 12 demiculverin, and 8 sakers. Crew of 400 costing 600 pounds per month to maintain. In 1600 she was sold to the new East India Company, of which George Clifford was a primary stockholder. She was renamed the Red Dragon and served as the flagship for 2 decades

yes tis one of the ships , well at the moment i am working with my mother and one of her friends with thier merchanting ant different events , there buisness is called the east india merchants and i been wanting to make it more of a ship hold type of thing, so since i take care of the monitary side of the house ive taken the rank of ships purser (though with out a ship ant the moment, )

the Royal exchange , i saw it on the ships list but there is little to no info on it, the other one the Trades Increase it was one of the first large ships built by the EIC in 1610 and was 1293 tons she made at least one voyage , she ultimently fell over on herself do to the size

ships purser Alexander the cavalier

• 3 weeks later...

Well greetings to all ,

ive settled on a name for my new ship, it was inspired by a statue over at a friends house, and thought it would make a great ships figurehead , the Sea Horse half horse and half fish (my shire's symbol is a mermaid ), so it keeps with it, and it combines both of my interests of nautical nature and of equine stuff