Pirates at Pennsic

Captain Roberts

I am unsure how many of you are members of the SCA. I was curious as to anyone planning on attending Pennsic in August 2005. I was thinking it would be an opportunity to meet other pirates out there. Perhaps a gathering/party could be planned amongst those going.

Nicholaus Sparewe - Tengeri Myklos

Captain of the Laza Ágyú (the Loose Cannon)

Province of Malagentia, East Kingdom (Portland, Maine, USA)

"Nihil Privatus"

"Ita Devexus Quando Hic Adveni"

"Ne Aviusum, Prospeculorari"

Captain Nicholas Sparewe

The Loose Cannon

"Ita Deverus Quando Hic Adveni..."

"Ne Aviusum, Prospeculorari!"

"Nihil Privatus"

On one pyrate outing, I wore a pair of (typical rennie) wrap trousers. When a 'patron' woman asked about them, I replied:

"Oh, I got them off a Buddhist Monk. I always wanted to be one of the 'Pirates of Zen Pants'".

:(

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

I am unsure how many of you are members of the SCA. I was curious as to anyone planning on attending Pennsic in August 2005. I was thinking it would be an opportunity to meet other pirates out there...

Mate, I hate te sound like a neophyte, but where is the Pennsic thing happenin'? If it's a few towns over from me, then I'll be there with bells on. But I doubt it.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I am unsure how many of you are members of the SCA. I was curious as to anyone planning on attending Pennsic in August 2005.  I was thinking it would be an opportunity to meet other pirates out there...

Mate, I hate te sound like a neophyte, but where is the Pennsic thing happenin'? If it's a few towns over from me, then I'll be there with bells on. But I doubt it.

Cptn. Roberts may i intorduce myself ,in be Bluravn and ,yes i shall be attending pennsic war this aug. an' ifin' i gets ta' meet ya id be glad to share a pint

:ph34r:

an' for our "neophyte" friend that was wondering where pennsic is.... nearslippery rock P.A. nearing the boarder of ohio for me it is a minum of a SIX hour drive and sooooooo worth it. ill be there with bells on weather there be 1 or 100 towns between.

I am a pirate that attends Pennsic and Im a member of the SCA. There are many of us that do the SCA thing and do different periods of piracy. You will find many of us pirates are fencers as I am. I also am part of the cannon crew. One thing you must understand. The SCA cut off date is 1600. If your garb is over 1600 or Rev war period or the same as The Pirates of the Caribbean it will be wrong. You can do Elizabethan or still wear slops. I would suggest you do some research as what to wear. Such as NO tri corn hats or NO captains coats from a later period and so on.

François

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I am a Free Men of The Sea I don't pillage and plunder.
I covertly acquire!

François Viete Domont de la Palmier
I haven't been accused of Pyracy...............YET

He who would pun would pick a pocket."

and you have a problem with that??

the Blunder Punny.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

No its not that I have a problem with it. You should know better then that. It would be kinda like being dressed as a Yankee walking into a World War one battle. As it is, a lot of the SCA people that do the early stuff still don't like use fencers. Although I was told fencing dates back as early as the 1400's in Italy. So we fall well with in there parameters. Black powder as you know dates back to the early Chinese and that also falls under 1600 including early flintlocks.

François

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I covertly acquire!

Wow, that sounds like some serious fun... but unfortunately I had to burn all my pre-1600 gear after that Black Plague scare at last year's Pennsic.

-- The Captain

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Aye,

Gods be willing, I'll be at Pennsic this year.... I've no' missed many since '87, that'd be Pennsic XVII...

Greetings Francois, see yer at the artillery park!

Mayhaps we'll cross blades, even if I's not "legal" these days...

Too bad we can't have a cutlass fight there, I picked up some o' them hangers you n' Rod favour....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

You must be kidding - no cutlass fights? Come to Pirates in Paradise... we have cutlass fights every day - full contact... the only thing we haven't done is kill someone yet, but there's always next year. :)

-- The Captain

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Ahoy Dorian,

Which hangers are you talking about. I dont recall. I will bring my cutlass next year. There is no reason we cant go off site and fight cutlass for a while. Looking forward to crossing blades at Pennsic.

Hurricane

We too fight full contact cutlass when we do the later stuff. With the SCA we fight rapire. Although I have seen some period cutlass blades from the mid 1500's the SCA will not pemit it (their rules not mine). Thats why I do stuff outside of the SCA. If you want to know more about the SCA go to the SCA.org. You will find out all the facts you need to know what they do and dont do.

Francois

:blink:

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I covertly acquire!

Thanks for the tip mate, but I'm more of a freebooter - not one to follow rules well - especially my own at times. And to paraphrase Groucho Marx, "I'd never want to be part of an organization that would have me as a member..." :blink:

-- The Captain

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Ahoy Dorian,

Which hangers are you talking about. I dont recall. I will bring my cutlass next year. There is no reason we cant go off site and fight cutlass for a while. Looking forward to crossing blades at Pennsic.

Aye Francois,

The cutlass I speak of is the kind ye had at pennsic... the one piece brass hilt with knuckle bow...

Yers had been modified fer full contact, with th' tip rounded a wee bit...

I havn't done such to mine as of yet...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Being a marshall at one time I'm gonna ignore what I read about going off site and fighting with real swords.....other than that I will be at Pennsic. You can find me, most of the time, at my pub down in the bogs

(which I might add is the only working roadside pub at Pennsic). I'm on the back side of the lake, just look for me colours and we'll have some shots together. Alcohol is always flowing and always free!!! :ph34r::ph34r:

Aye Perkeo,

Mayhap Francois n' I... n' mabbe a few others'll stop by, freshly bloodied from bein' off site... ;)

Nay, I's pullin' yer wooden leg...

I've done a bit o' live steel work at reenactments, all blades are blunted, an' there are rules (I know, we use rules too!) ta live by with all that....

Francois an' Rod, I believe, do a fair bit as well...

We do believe in safety... as we are cannon crew as well...

Don' get any grey hairs frettin' o'er us.....

;)

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Yes Dorian now I recall. Get yar blade ready. Plus Id like to meet ya on the field for pick-ups. That is mostly what I would rather do is pick-ups. I'm not much of a mêlée fighter. I would rather fight 1 on 1 or 2 on 1.

BTW. I found some brass and made a bunch of vent-picks like the one you had. I was toying with the idea of having a fleur de lei on the top side.

François

;)

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I covertly acquire!

Perkeo,

Like Dorian said no worries, its a whole different game we play with live steel. Myself and a few others do Rev War re-enactments as Privateer or Pirates along with guns, cannons, black powder, and sometimes schooners at full sail. Its a blast. We have our set of safety parameters. Taking in consideration we fight without armour.

Anyway

I will take you up on the offer for a drink down at the Bog. If we cant find you just come visit us at the cannons on the hill. Looking forward to crossing blades at sometime in the future.

François

PyrateAvitar.jpg

I covertly acquire!

• 1 month later...
(which I might add is the only working roadside pub at Pennsic). I'm on the back side of the lake, just look for me colours and we'll have some shots together. Alcohol is always flowing and always free!!! :ph34r:   :ph34r:

All I gots to say to ya there Perkeo is remember, PENNSIC PAY PER VIEW? :ph34r:

Being a marshall at one time I'm gonna ignore what I read about going off site and fighting with real swords.....other than that I will be at Pennsic. You can find me, most of the time, at my pub down in the bogs

(which I might add is the only working roadside pub at Pennsic). I'm on the back side of the lake, just look for me colours and we'll have some shots together. Alcohol is always flowing and always free!!! :ph34r:   :ph34r:

Hey -

I had the honor of taking the last bottle from Perkeo's Pub last Pennsic - but damn, Creme DeMent is not your usual party alcohol.

I am looking forward to visiting the Pub again this year, and I will have lots of my choc. covered grain cherries. :)

Captain Duncan McGuyver

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

The Juryrig

MDRF Based Social & Renfaire Crew

The Juryrig

Port Tortuga

A Piracy based Pennsic household

B09 Block, The Highlands (Up Hill & Left)

Port Tortuga

I rarely, if ever, get down near the bog at night, unless I'm on security patrol. Closest I get during the day is on the way to the swimming hole.

And drinking at Pennsic? Not really, not anymore. A couple of ciders of an evening, perhaps but that's it. Being staff and in charge of the powder mag and guns doesn't give much opportunity to party.

Camping on the battlefield keeps me near the merchants, staff areas, Royal camps and Coopertown, as well as convenient to the battery and castle. By the end of the day, it's just too damn far to walk anywhere else.

Hawkyns

B)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

You're over in B-08 aren't ya Hawkyns?

Me and my crew, as well as Duncan and some of his are camped over in the newly founded B-09. Not too far from ya, so if ya ever find yourself dry listen for the chants of "Rum...Rum...Rum Rum Rum" or stop on by for a pint! B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey leave Pennsic-Pay-Per-View outta this topic, you'll scare people!

Duncan- Provided you make it TO the Bog with those cherries before they're pillaged away again. Which reminds me, I need to start making several batchs of those myself here shortly.

Ahhh War how I miss it, is it time to go home yet?