FSOW movie and reading Patrick O'brian

I am once again, slogging my way thru Patrick O'brian's books. I have never read one thru. It's strictly the terminology that starts to get to me. I have started at the beginning and I would like to be thru Far Side of the World, when the movie comes out in November.

Have you read them? Why do you think they picked a book so far into the series for the movie?

Well, here is a link for the trailer. What be your thoughts?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/master_a...der/medium.html

I have read the entire collection of Patrick O'Brian, Naturally I leafed through everything except the sailing and fighting.....just could not get into the spying, medical and science stuff....that is why I switched to Pope's Lord Ramage and Alexander Kent's Bolitho...much better reading...They inspired me to write what I write.

Grace

I do not think the movie will be anything like the book from what I have heard. I began to reread it last month but could not make it past the first chapter.

Fair Winds

Captain Viper

Indeed, Patrick O'Brian writes a rollickin' tale in the time o' the Napoleonic wars. And there be a mate who, even he enjoys reading.

Next time ye be passin' by a book store, library or some such, have a look-about for titles written by James L. Nelson. He has two series of books. One is "The Revolution at Sea Saga", and the other be "The Brethren of the Coast" series.

Fair Winds to yer Sails!

I know I've read Two Years before the Mast. It's been awhile. There's like a helpers guide to Patrick O'brian, which translates some of the terms, and I guess gives you some help with his books. I am wondering if this would help any. I am thinking if I get thru one the others will get easier, as the language becomes more comfortable. I remember things like Jane Austin and other earlier literature being this way.

I has read three of the Master comander series of books and found them to meet muster although a little tough to get into at first the readin gets easier once ye gets into the rythem of the stories. I even went to the casting call for the FSOTW when it came to Vancouver . The add said "Pretty boys need not apply so I figured I'd be a shoe in .." but I figures that mayhaps I am to pretty after all . Har Har Har !! :D Or maybe its cause they were looking to fill the last few parts and 2400 of us showed up.. Me bein #840 all I was lookin fer was the time in on the Rose and not to worried about bein in the movies like. Oh well maybe next time.. Maybe if I nocked out a few teeth and broke my nose a couple more times :D

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

Yesterday, I just interviewed one of the sailor/extras who spent 6 1/2 months filming in Rosarita Beach with Master and Commander: Far Side of the World. Look for the interview in the Sept. No Quarter Given magazine.

The director intends to make this movie to be one of the most historically accurate possible -- so all you nautical nitpickers out there have your job cut out for ya.

The "HMS Rose", which plays Aubrey's "HMS Surprie" is still docked in San Diego. Though the HMS Rose Foundation would like to buy her back from the movie company, the company wants to hang on to her in case it looks the first movie is well received, and it looks good for a sequel.

Early on there was some confusion as to which book was being filmed. Seems like they'll use some introductory material in "Master and Commander" either at the beginning of the story, or as flashbacks, and the main story is "Far Side of the World".

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

--Support Wildlife --

Carouse with a pirate

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven