Ship's Chandlers

capnwilliam

The word is, of course, derived from "candle", and I believe it originally referred to a maker or seller of candles and soap. I thought it an interesting word when I first encountered it: while walking through the historic area in Philadelphia, I passed an establishment described in the window as a "ship's chandler."

But what-all did they sell? Was it limited to strictly ship-related items like ropes and sails? Or did ship chandlers provide food, drink, clothes, medical supplies too?

I'm thinking about a persona who would have been in this business in the 1815 era in New Orleans.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

"Chandler" comes from Olde & Middle English & defined as you have it. As for what they sell...me quick search indicates the board & all encompassing term: "ship goods"...which would most likely include the items that you have mentioned. The purser normally acquired the food & drink for the ship, though he was not traditionally in charge of selling items.

There used to be a chandlery in Key West called Perkins and Son that carried all sorts of sea-going stuff. Being in tourist central, they also carried Tommy Bahama and similar wear.

Perkins was originally into wrecking thereabouts (a fine Key West tradition). I think they operated tugs when I remember going in there. It's gone these many years, however. Alas.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Chandlers', like William Robertson and Son's (in Halifax), did derive from those originally selling candles, as portholes (and portlights with glass, following even later) are not so old as most might think (1400s or 1500s, but definitively by 1515).

Prior to that, the only light below decks was lantern and, most often, candle. Well, some French entrepreneur [yes, they do have a word for entrepreneur] realized that ships were his best customers, and branched out. Soon, they were carrying line, canvas, and any dry goods you might need aboard ship. Anything, really, shy of groceries [grins]!

So a ship's chandlery would stock for sale anything one might need aboard, and would usually be located right next the wharf, with a well-stocked warehouse. One stop shopping. They rarely made their own goods, but acted in general as a middle-man, like [unfortunately for example] Wal-Mart. But again without the groceries.

Chandleries adapted well to the rise of Steam, but the rise of satellite cellular 'phones has pretty well relegated them today to serving mostly yachtsmen, as the large vessels now can call up the manufacturer, place an order with a credit card number, and ask for delivery "at pier 20 in Halifax on Tuesday afternoon," when they know they'll arive. No more middle man. Yachtsmen, on the other hand, remember just before going sailing that they snapped a line last weekend, and had best pick one up on the way to the marina....