THE FALL & RISE OF PIRACY

Capt.mino

piracy in the 16th & 17th centuries fell into decline for four primary reasons:

The Ancient Fall

1. Technology: The increased size & speed of merchant vessels in the 18th & 19th centuries severely disadvantaged pursuing pirates;

2. Increased Naval Presence: The 19th & 20th centuries saw an ever increasing level of international Naval patrols along most ocean highways & particularly in support of colonial networks;

3. Increased Government Administration: The 19th & 20th Centuries were marked by the regular administration of most islands and land areas by colonies or nations which took a direct interest in protecting their merchant fleets.

4. Uniform Regulation: There was a general recognition of piracy as a serious international offense which would not be tolerated by countries determined to protect their national fleets and able to do so.

The Modern Rise

Following World War II however, these four self enforcing barriers to high seas piracy began to erode. The four factors have now actually begun to encourage the activity.

Let's see how these same four factors have reversed themselves in recent years:

1. Technology: The protection once afforded to merchant vessels by their modern size and speed is now offset by further technical advances which have reduced crew size, as well as a vessel's ability to defend itself. On the other side of the coin, there has been a bumper crop of technological advances which improve the pirate chief's weapons of speed, shock, surprise, fire power and rapid escape.

2. Reduced Naval Presence: The trend is for smaller world Navies. Dramatically decreased international ocean patrols have left merchant vessels virtually unprotected on the sea frontier.

3. Disrupted Governmental Administration: Decisions by former colonies not to maintain ties with their home countries, and the financial inability of some governments to afford effective Naval assets &endash; are factors which have simply encouraged pirate attacks.

4. Lack of Regulation: In some quarters there has been erosion of the view that piracy is a serious international crime, or even a crime of which anyone should take notice. With most of the world's 64 million gross tonnage fleet under flags of convenience such as Panama, Honduras and Liberia, there is no political will to smash high seas piracy.

Flags of convenience nations have neither the interest nor the ability to mount an effective deterent.

To put it in another way, piracy is on the rise because there's lots of valuable stuff out there to steal &endash; but no one to stop them. This may not be politically correct, but where pirates are concerned, there are certain advantages to a world under arms which does not look to the United States to be its lone policeman -- as out world is today.

Indeed, the number of international pirate attacks has risen in direct inverse proportion to decreases in the international Naval presence.

This situation becomes even more confused and dangerous when you consider the number of countries which have extended their territorial waters out to 200 nautical miles, but failed to plan for a corresponding maritime patrol ability.

B)

Capt mino

Do you also see thrise of piracy due to large container vessels that are nigh on impossible to patrol on board? Not just the lack of maritime patrols in territorial waters. I've heard of a lot of contemporary piracy going on these larege container ships. Your thoughts.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

You are totally right, my lady Capt. Maria, right now the situation is getting out of control, the high level of ignorance and lack of education and human principles in third world countrys are creating a caos, in the era that we love, the 16, 17 18 century...you can feel the Pirate Honor in the air....today we the pirates are less than a human scum....remember the ones who kill the new cheif of the Cousteau society in a expedition in a Brasilian river mouth...just a few years ago...this guys can kill you just for chair in the ship cockpit!!...or maybe a compass in your panel...who knows...last year in haiti, a sailboat was attacked by a group of hatians, women raped, then everybody killed by shots...they clean up the hole sailboat..just leave the bodies...

Well my dear Maria...if youre about to sail close to the coast of this countrys better get ready all your cannons, swords and your best shot of indecence...couse you will need it...

Ps:... If by the way you are close to the Hispaniola south coast...dont hesitate to throw anchor at my dock...you are totally invited to my humble shack ...full of rum, doublons and lust !!!

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I echo the remarks of Capt. William excellent analysis. A while back I posted a BBC story in responce to a topic that delt with the rapid rise of piracy. However I do have one question..... In certian areas of the world like say the East China Sea region can it really be said that piracy ever declined?

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET