Wedding Dress

If you're looking for a 17th cent. wedding dress, that a woman would have actually worn, I doubt it would look like a wedding dress. Clothing was to valuable for the average person to purchase something that would only be worn on one occasion. I suppose it's possible that some upper class persons might have had such a thing. Perhaps even likely. If you are looking for a traditional white wedding gown, and just want a 17th century look go onto e-bay. There are merchants selling these, and they are very nice looking.

I would suggest that you email Alden O'Brien at the Daughters of the American Revolution Museum in Washington DC. I recently made a trip there to see my gr-gr-gr-gr-great-grandmother's wedding dress from 1762. Alden spent about an hour and a half with me carefully showing me all the details of the dress and explaining what was original and how it had been altered, first for a daughter in the late 1700's and then by my other generations of grandmothers, who wore it for DAR functions uncorsetted. Alden is very knowledgable on historic wedding dresses and is in the process of putting together an exhibit of the wedding dresses in the DAR's collection.

You can reach Alden Obrien at

aobrien@dar.org

...and if you can manage it, you might like to take Royaliste up on that suggestion of a shipboard wedding, eh?!!! Don't we get to throw the groom in the bay?!!!

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

I recently made a trip there to see my gr-gr-gr-gr-great-grandmother's wedding dress from 1762.
OK, I'm envious. It must be great to have such a connection with your history. I can go back three greats, maybe four. And we were poor Irish immigrants so a few family photos are it. My great grandmother was the first generation who had a true wedding dress.

My mom's side has all the bloodlines and some amazing stories. But my dads family comes from the illustrious community of Bear Holler Tennessee!! (yup it's really spelled just like that!!)

When my dad & his brothers and sisters were born at home, they were the first generation to have birth certificates. My grandmother didn't want them to say Bear Holler on them, so she put down Rogersville, the nearest town! My grandpa didn't even know what his real name was, because he'd been called Brother or "Brud" all his life. When he came down out of the hills, he stayed with someone named "Aunt Mint" who wanted to name him Alfred after her son who died. So he took the name Alfred B. Britton, with B being for Brud. When my father was born, he became Alfred B. Britton Jr, with just B. not standing for anything. Years later, my grandfather went back to the hills to meet his family and he learned that his real name was Henry Sylvester Britton Jr. My father always said he was glad that his dad didn't know his real name until after my father was born!

How's that for a down-home story?!!

Claire/T.O.T.S.S.:

I'm a born-and-raised Tennessee girl, and I know of Bear Holler (and yes, it is spelled exactly as you said). I might even know your pop's family.

But, as far as wedding dresses go...

I am getting married at the Pirates In Paradise Festival this year. My honey, Bob the Swab, is wearing a calf-length black brocade jacket, ruffled shirt, boots, etc. I, however, have nixed the idea of going with the Goodwill dress that I spoke of in one of my earlier posts. And...after much pinning and pondering, I have decided that it's just not going to be even close to what I wanted. What I thought about doing is having my mother (who's good at sewing) help me make a simple, white empire-waisted gown and a long white captain's coat that comes nearly as long as the dress.

Simplicity Pattern 5958 has a great pattern for a captain's jacket, breeches, shirts and vests.

Also, another Simplicity Pattern for "The Matrix" costumes has a great jacket with a slightly different look (Neo's long coat).

I already have the white tricorne hat, complete with white feathers. I realize that the outfit I mentioned is not quite 17th century, but it will look closer to the time period than the other dress will.

Anyhow, I went into the Google search engine and typed "fashion, 17th Century" and came up with several different ideas about dresses. Actually, my attire is going to be a mixture of several different eras. You might also try http://www.fashionsintime.com

The site is run by Hilary Buckland, and she is very helpful. I asked her many questions, and she was always quick and thorough with her replies. The pictures are wonderful, and I believe her garments will be perfect for any gal's special day. If I had enough cash, I'd have her make a whole custom costume for me. But...me and Mom are cheaper.

Hope this helps. Good luck and best wishes to the bride and groom.

:(

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Captain W. Elizabeth R.,

How cool to get married at the festival!! WAY TO GO PIRATE GAL!!! I sure wish I could be there to see it!! Post the photos for us will you?

On the subject of my family from Bear Holler TN. The family name is/was Britton. There are some very old gravestones from our family there. The family moved to CA around 1935 or thereabouts. If there are any Arteburn's, they would be relatives also.

Pirate Claire/TOTSS:

You need a shorter name. TalesOfTheSevenSeas is a bit tedious to type when you've had only five hours worth of sleep in 48. Anyhow, yes, I am planning on getting married at the PIP Festival!

Hooray!

Also, if I can't figure out how to post pics, I'll send a few your way. If'n you'd be so kind as to post them.

I've already been to the altar once. Course, I came up with a broadside, when he found out my family wasn't wealthy. Ha, ha, ha!

Or maybe the joke's on me. I'm doing it again. I guess you could just call me "dumb, dumb, dee dumb!" (Snicker!)

I know I left a brain lying around here somewhere...

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Poison Quill? Yes. Lovely. Subtle...dangerous. As if one could expect less from a "fellow" lady pirate.

I intend to purchase our tickets for the complete package to Key West within the next few weeks. I have just discovered money that I didn't even know I had. Isn't that great? Like finding buried treasure!

Anyhow, the only thing I have left to do is get together the costumes, schedule the wedding date and...

...oooh, wait. :huh:

There's lots left to do! :ph34r:

Oh, no!

Wish me luck!

:huh:

Capt. WE Roberts

• 1 month later...

I just found a super deal on material...at Wal-Mart. I visited a Wal-Mart that's close to the college I attend. Like most WM's, it had several bolts of material marked down to $1 and $2 per yard. I found off white velveteen material for $2 per yard! It'll be perfect for the long pirate's coat I mentioned in my earlier post. Since it's thinner than the plush velvet, it'll have to be lined. But, it's not that stretchy panne velvet. It doesn't stretch, and it has the look of plush velvet, only not as thick. I think it'll look great. And, since this is my second time to get married, the off-white works well. It's not ivory, but just a shade darker than pure white.

I also found some fabulous trim at WM for $2.78 per yard. It's gold beads and rhinestones...perfect for that flashy pirate captain garb that I wanted.

Also, Royaliste, where might I find you at the festival? I'm looking for a ship to get married on. I had talked to Julie, who's husband marries folks on the Wolf in costume. They charge $100 for a wedding there.

See you at the festival!

;)

Capt. WE Roberts

:angry:

say a young lass, (such as myself), was plannen' on gettin' hitched ...

Does anyone have any tips on a 17th century dress???

Ye got the lad picked out or yer just ready fer any lad.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.